• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lowest Calorie and Best Grade Food

Hi All
This info has really helped me. I have been struggling with Molly's weight since we got her ( she was 18 months old and weighed 11kg!!). As karlin suggested Molly would continually eat and eat day and night if you allowed her. I have been backwards and forwards to the vet re her weight problem and as suggested already, cut down the intake and up the exercise. Molly howls to get your attention when she fancies a "little something" to eat and this can be extremely frustrating and quite annoying, particularly when she may have only been fed 5 mins before!! The lady who owns our local grooming parlour has recently suggested trying Arden Grange light for Molly. Can anyone advise exactly how much of this to give . . .Do I need to add anything further and to maintain a steady weightloss which snacks or treats would be best for her and how often ?
So sorry for all the questions but any advice would be appreciated
Regards
Mollysmum

Hi Mollysmum

Having been the originator of this post with my Poppy ,I have been feeding Arden Grange Light for about two weeks ,she has 15 gramme in the morning and evening with both meals I add green beans ,carrots and broccoli as a filler and as a taster I add 1 pce only of semi-frozen tripe cube which i buy from PAH also 1 cube of shredded wheat and 1 teaspoon of pure bran ,she does get hungry but I persevere .Of an evening she may have 3/4 pces of Barker and Barker Little Liver Treats ,I will weigh her again this week end and if she has stayed the same or reduced fine if not I will reduce again ,Good Luck its a long and hard road

Hi Brian M
Thanks for the reply. I have just accessed Ardon grange feeding guide ( thankyou to Sins) and it suggests feeding Molly up to 200g per day for her weight - I have just weighed her and she tipped the scales at nearly 13kg!!! Does this amount sound a lot to you? She is fed twice daily therefore 100g per meal, but in comparison to Poppy's 15g it sounds a huge amount. Do you feed poppy more than twice per day? If so that would answer my questions and doubts. I noticed Karlin feeds fish 4 dogs as treats and I have been able to buy some this morning for Molly to try. Its 100% fish skin, and as I had no doubt, she loves them. My aim is to try to reduce Molly's weight to around 9.5kg which means a long trek ahead. I just hope Arden Grange will be able to help me. Please keep me posted as to lovely Poppy's progress . . or should I say weight loss!
Regards
Molly'smum

Thankyou sins . . I have looked at the feeding and weight chart and established molly needs 100g twice a day. I really hope this will help me to reduce her weight as I have battled with it for nearly 2 years
regards
Molly'smum

Hi
No thats all Pops gets 15 gr twice a day with all her veg ,Di (harlyfarly ) said when she put Harley on his diet she took the rec amount and divide by 2 as the food manufacturers always heavily over estimate so if you take your 100 gr that become 50 gr which is not too far from my 30-35 gramme .And Pops on Burns went down to 11 kg then i missed checking her weight for a bit then 2 weeks ago she was up to 13 kg so hence my change again to A G ,but if you look at a photo of my three Pops is bigger with Daisy and Rosie similar size .Fish fo dogs they love but get at the most 1 or 2 a week ,this afternoon I will get some apples and a banana and give them a pce of each tonight ,stay in touch

Ignor Our Luke ,as you can see Pops is on the right she is a bigger
girl than Rosie the Ruby or Daisy the Blen

3597742100_678e38d3a4_m.jpg

Brian, my only concern with feeding pops so little kibble is she may not be getting enough protein, which she NEEDS to lose weight! This is so hard to say b/c I'm not familiar with grams, etc...but it sounds like she's not getting enough kibble. I would increase her kibble to 50g a day and cut out all the extras you're giving her. No tripe, no yogurt, no oils, etc.

50g of kibble with a small handful of frozen vegs. Try it for a month and see what happens.

Hi Brian
Thanks for reply. I think I may just decrease the amount of Arden Grange I give to Molly to start with, I can always slightly increase it if necessary. Can I ask why you suggest only giving fish 4 dog treats only once or twice a week. It was suggested to me Molly could have three per day . . .is that far too much? I think i might try using fresh veg as treats as well. She loves cooked veg and raw carrot . . . . . .in fact she loves EVERYTHING!!!
Molly'smum

Hi mollysmum

Its a siily reason I only feed them with the fish for dogs treat a couple of times a week .Normally after work the girls go with me everywhere except on a Mon and a Wed when Luke goes to West Kirby sports centre for his Karate lesson unfortunately they cant come but I always feel a bit guilty leaving them behind ,so I encourage them into their crate with a Fish treat as a reward so on a Mon and Wed they stay at home with Dawn till my return and as they are on all on a diet their allowance is 2 per week .
Have you tried the Barker and Barker Little Liver Treats they are only very small and they are allowed loads but as a max I feed no more than 5 as and when needed and as they are liver flavoured they go straight down ,I will do a weigh in later and post the reasults:)

Hi
No thats all Pops gets 15 gr twice a day with all her veg ,Di (harlyfarly ) said when she put Harley on his diet she took the rec amount and divide by 2 as the food manufacturers always heavily over estimate so if you take your 100 gr that become 50 gr which is not too far from my 30-35 gramme

Yep thats right mollysmum, harley just tipped the scales at 14 kg, i had started to cut him down a bit and he was 13.6 when the vet put him on a diet, the pack does say about 100 grms a day and the vet himself said dont go by the packet they say feed more so they sell more, and he said try 60 gms and see how he goes so he has 30 gms twice a day and very little else.
Also at least an hours walking a day to help build up muscle tone. he is now 11.6 at last weigh in a couple of weeks ago and he is a big cav.
At 30 gms brian you should be seeing weight fly off. Its hard work and painful to watch what i do if harley is being a pest and begging for food is give him a lovely treat of a bath or a nice long walk usually followed by a bath and hopefully its nearly time for his next meal by then.
He also used to refuse things like pigs ears and really hard hide chews, now he loves them because basically he knows there is nothing else. Be careful with treats, you know those gravy bones, will if you follow the feeding guide 5 of those is the total of harley daily allowance, he used to get that on top of his food and any leftovers so he gets maybe a gravey bone a week now until the packet is gone then ill not be buying anymore. di

Hi harleyfarley
Those god damn gravy bones . . . .our moll loves them an would eat a whole box if allowe to! We have been using them and would give her 2 or 3 a time up to 3 times a day!!!! I feel so stupid now and I have definately contributed to this escalating problem as she loved these treats. I believed that if I was feeding her fresh veg and chicken then those treats would not cause too much damage . . .how wrong i was.
I have given Molly her first Arden grange meal tonight and I did cut back . . .I weighed it out very carefully and gave her 30 g instead of the recom 50g. Molly is currently taking med for a skin complaint so I have to be totally honest I gave her a tablespoon of tinned tuna in oil and mixed in her tablets. She will have finished the course in 7 days so should not be a problem after then. Iv opted for the fish ardens as we have been plagued with smelly poo and gas and I was advised a fish diet will help resolve this. I wait in hope.
I am trying to post recent photos of Molly but still struggling . . .I will continue to try
Regards
Molly'smum

Hi Brian
Yes please let me know how the weigh in goes. Molly had her first Arden grange meal tonight and loved it. I did reduce the amount and only gave her 30g instead of the rec 50g for her weight. I will keep you posted
regards
Mollysmum

Hi

All down a bit

Popp. .13.10 > 12.80
Daisy. 8.80 > 8.60
Rosie . 9.90. >9.80

Its not a lot but its week one and two weeks from tonight we are going up to The Lake District for a week we have rented a cottage by Lake Bassenthwite in the North Lakes about 6 mile outside Keswick so we all should get more walking in then:)

Thats good for a week brian, in the end harley was losing 10g a week or even a fortnight, once the initial weights gone down its very slow going indeed, but the vet was happier once harley got to 12 kg, and i didnt weigh him again for about a month or six weeks, then we were at the vets for a checkup and jabs so i thought ill weigh him and hope he hasnt put anything back on, and i was amazed he was 11.6 thats just sticking to the diet he may have lost more i havent weighed him for a couple of months now. di

Hi Di

When is the best time of the day to weigh them or does it not make any difference providing you are consistent ,did I read that the best time is first thing in the morning.:confused:

I think as long as you do it the same time it wont make any difference, i think everyone weighs less first thing as you havent eaten all night, but is irrelevent. I also try and feed after walks, but you are doing very well. di

:rah:Well done Brian:rah:Thats a fabulous start! well done poppy, Rosie & Daisy clever girls:D

Brian, my only concern with feeding pops so little kibble is she may not be getting enough protein, which she NEEDS to lose weight! This is so hard to say b/c I'm not familiar with grams, etc...but it sounds like she's not getting enough kibble. I would increase her kibble to 50g a day and cut out all the extras you're giving her. No tripe, no yogurt, no oils, etc.

50g of kibble with a small handful of frozen vegs. Try it for a month and see what happens.

I thought that too chloe, thats why vets insist you feed a good high quality brand, and thats nothing you can get from a supermarket, I used to feed various food from supermarkets, bakers, butchers etc, and tesco premium was as good as any, but you need to feed quite a bit to get the right amount of protein, where as with the quality stuff, you get more protein and vitamins (you can see by the list of ingrediants the first is whats most in the food) and therefore you can feed less.

I was told by the vet nurse that he will lose weight until he reaches his optimum weight and no more, no harm can be done if you feed a high quality food, and to stick to the lower quantities until he stops losing weight and then you can increase it by 20 gms and check his weight if he starts to gain weight then thats too much. Harley is on 30 gms twice a day and on the arden grange light, which is hypoallergenic and contains l-carnitine which helps convert food into muscle and not stored as fat, I think royal canine weight loss has it too.

I must say that Harley does seem to be healthy and happier at his lower weight, he eats all his food the second i put it down and licks the bowl clean, i had half a box of tesco food left which i add now and then to try and use it up, he leaves that and waits for his arden grange. di

Back