Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lowest Calorie and Best Grade Food

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All
    This info has really helped me. I have been struggling with Molly's weight since we got her ( she was 18 months old and weighed 11kg!!). As karlin suggested Molly would continually eat and eat day and night if you allowed her. I have been backwards and forwards to the vet re her weight problem and as suggested already, cut down the intake and up the exercise. Molly howls to get your attention when she fancies a "little something" to eat and this can be extremely frustrating and quite annoying, particularly when she may have only been fed 5 mins before!! The lady who owns our local grooming parlour has recently suggested trying Arden Grange light for Molly. Can anyone advise exactly how much of this to give . . .Do I need to add anything further and to maintain a steady weightloss which snacks or treats would be best for her and how often ?
    So sorry for all the questions but any advice would be appreciated
    Regards
    Mollysmum

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.ardengrange.com/Pet-Food/dog-food.asp?id=26

There's a feeding chart there.Ideally you need to weigh your dog first to calculate the required amount.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Mollysmum

Having been the originator of this post with my Poppy ,I have been feeding Arden Grange Light for about two weeks ,she has 15 gramme in the morning and evening with both meals I add green beans ,carrots and broccoli as a filler and as a taster I add 1 pce only of semi-frozen tripe cube which i buy from PAH also 1 cube of shredded wheat and 1 teaspoon of pure bran ,she does get hungry but I persevere .Of an evening she may have 3/4 pces of Barker and Barker Little Liver Treats ,I will weigh her again this week end and if she has stayed the same or reduced fine if not I will reduce again ,Good Luck its a long and hard road
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian M
    Thanks for the reply. I have just accessed Ardon grange feeding guide ( thankyou to Sins) and it suggests feeding Molly up to 200g per day for her weight - I have just weighed her and she tipped the scales at nearly 13kg!!! Does this amount sound a lot to you? She is fed twice daily therefore 100g per meal, but in comparison to Poppy's 15g it sounds a huge amount. Do you feed poppy more than twice per day? If so that would answer my questions and doubts. I noticed Karlin feeds fish 4 dogs as treats and I have been able to buy some this morning for Molly to try. Its 100% fish skin, and as I had no doubt, she loves them. My aim is to try to reduce Molly's weight to around 9.5kg which means a long trek ahead. I just hope Arden Grange will be able to help me. Please keep me posted as to lovely Poppy's progress . . or should I say weight loss!
    Regards
    Molly'smum

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou sins . . I have looked at the feeding and weight chart and established molly needs 100g twice a day. I really hope this will help me to reduce her weight as I have battled with it for nearly 2 years
    regards
    Molly'smum

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Hi
    No thats all Pops gets 15 gr twice a day with all her veg ,Di (harlyfarly ) said when she put Harley on his diet she took the rec amount and divide by 2 as the food manufacturers always heavily over estimate so if you take your 100 gr that become 50 gr which is not too far from my 30-35 gramme .And Pops on Burns went down to 11 kg then i missed checking her weight for a bit then 2 weeks ago she was up to 13 kg so hence my change again to A G ,but if you look at a photo of my three Pops is bigger with Daisy and Rosie similar size .Fish fo dogs they love but get at the most 1 or 2 a week ,this afternoon I will get some apples and a banana and give them a pce of each tonight ,stay in touch

Ignor Our Luke ,as you can see Pops is on the right she is a bigger
    girl than Rosie the Ruby or Daisy the Blen

Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, my only concern with feeding pops so little kibble is she may not be getting enough protein, which she NEEDS to lose weight! This is so hard to say b/c I'm not familiar with grams, etc...but it sounds like she's not getting enough kibble. I would increase her kibble to 50g a day and cut out all the extras you're giving her. No tripe, no yogurt, no oils, etc.

50g of kibble with a small handful of frozen vegs. Try it for a month and see what happens.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian
    Thanks for reply. I think I may just decrease the amount of Arden Grange I give to Molly to start with, I can always slightly increase it if necessary. Can I ask why you suggest only giving fish 4 dog treats only once or twice a week. It was suggested to me Molly could have three per day . . .is that far too much? I think i might try using fresh veg as treats as well. She loves cooked veg and raw carrot . . . . . .in fact she loves EVERYTHING!!!
    Molly'smum

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi mollysmum

Its a siily reason I only feed them with the fish for dogs treat a couple of times a week .Normally after work the girls go with me everywhere except on a Mon and a Wed when Luke goes to West Kirby sports centre for his Karate lesson unfortunately they cant come but I always feel a bit guilty leaving them behind ,so I encourage them into their crate with a Fish treat as a reward so on a Mon and Wed they stay at home with Dawn till my return and as they are on all on a diet their allowance is 2 per week .
    Have you tried the Barker and Barker Little Liver Treats they are only very small and they are allowed loads but as a max I feed no more than 5 as and when needed and as they are liver flavoured they go straight down ,I will do a weigh in later and post the reasults
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi
    No thats all Pops gets 15 gr twice a day with all her veg ,Di (harlyfarly ) said when she put Harley on his diet she took the rec amount and divide by 2 as the food manufacturers always heavily over estimate so if you take your 100 gr that become 50 gr which is not too far from my 30-35 gramme

Yep thats right mollysmum, harley just tipped the scales at 14 kg, i had started to cut him down a bit and he was 13.6 when the vet put him on a diet, the pack does say about 100 grms a day and the vet himself said dont go by the packet they say feed more so they sell more, and he said try 60 gms and see how he goes so he has 30 gms twice a day and very little else.
    Also at least an hours walking a day to help build up muscle tone. he is now 11.6 at last weigh in a couple of weeks ago and he is a big cav.
    At 30 gms brian you should be seeing weight fly off. Its hard work and painful to watch what i do if harley is being a pest and begging for food is give him a lovely treat of a bath or a nice long walk usually followed by a bath and hopefully its nearly time for his next meal by then.
    He also used to refuse things like pigs ears and really hard hide chews, now he loves them because basically he knows there is nothing else. Be careful with treats, you know those gravy bones, will if you follow the feeding guide 5 of those is the total of harley daily allowance, he used to get that on top of his food and any leftovers so he gets maybe a gravey bone a week now until the packet is gone then ill not be buying anymore. di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.