Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lowest Calorie and Best Grade Food

Post Thanks / Like

Hi harleyfarley
    Those god damn gravy bones . . . .our moll loves them an would eat a whole box if allowe to! We have been using them and would give her 2 or 3 a time up to 3 times a day!!!! I feel so stupid now and I have definately contributed to this escalating problem as she loved these treats. I believed that if I was feeding her fresh veg and chicken then those treats would not cause too much damage . . .how wrong i was.
    I have given Molly her first Arden grange meal tonight and I did cut back . . .I weighed it out very carefully and gave her 30 g instead of the recom 50g. Molly is currently taking med for a skin complaint so I have to be totally honest I gave her a tablespoon of tinned tuna in oil and mixed in her tablets. She will have finished the course in 7 days so should not be a problem after then. Iv opted for the fish ardens as we have been plagued with smelly poo and gas and I was advised a fish diet will help resolve this. I wait in hope.
    I am trying to post recent photos of Molly but still struggling . . .I will continue to try
    Regards
    Molly'smum

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian
    Yes please let me know how the weigh in goes. Molly had her first Arden grange meal tonight and loved it. I did reduce the amount and only gave her 30g instead of the rec 50g for her weight. I will keep you posted
    regards
    Mollysmum

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

All down a bit

Popp. .13.10 > 12.80
    Daisy. 8.80 > 8.60
    Rosie . 9.90. >9.80

Its not a lot but its week one and two weeks from tonight we are going up to The Lake District for a week we have rented a cottage by Lake Bassenthwite in the North Lakes about 6 mile outside Keswick so we all should get more walking in then
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Well done Brian & girls!! & enjoy the hol
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Well done Brian, Poppy, Rosie and daisy . . .Keep up the good work and have a fab hol!
    Mollysmum

Post Thanks / Like

Thats good for a week brian, in the end harley was losing 10g a week or even a fortnight, once the initial weights gone down its very slow going indeed, but the vet was happier once harley got to 12 kg, and i didnt weigh him again for about a month or six weeks, then we were at the vets for a checkup and jabs so i thought ill weigh him and hope he hasnt put anything back on, and i was amazed he was 11.6 thats just sticking to the diet he may have lost more i havent weighed him for a couple of months now. di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Di

When is the best time of the day to weigh them or does it not make any difference providing you are consistent ,did I read that the best time is first thing in the morning.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I think as long as you do it the same time it wont make any difference, i think everyone weighs less first thing as you havent eaten all night, but is irrelevent. I also try and feed after walks, but you are doing very well. di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done BrianThats a fabulous start! well done poppy, Rosie & Daisy clever girls
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chloe92us View Post
    Brian, my only concern with feeding pops so little kibble is she may not be getting enough protein, which she NEEDS to lose weight! This is so hard to say b/c I'm not familiar with grams, etc...but it sounds like she's not getting enough kibble. I would increase her kibble to 50g a day and cut out all the extras you're giving her. No tripe, no yogurt, no oils, etc.

50g of kibble with a small handful of frozen vegs. Try it for a month and see what happens.
    I thought that too chloe, thats why vets insist you feed a good high quality brand, and thats nothing you can get from a supermarket, I used to feed various food from supermarkets, bakers, butchers etc, and tesco premium was as good as any, but you need to feed quite a bit to get the right amount of protein, where as with the quality stuff, you get more protein and vitamins (you can see by the list of ingrediants the first is whats most in the food) and therefore you can feed less.

I was told by the vet nurse that he will lose weight until he reaches his optimum weight and no more, no harm can be done if you feed a high quality food, and to stick to the lower quantities until he stops losing weight and then you can increase it by 20 gms and check his weight if he starts to gain weight then thats too much. Harley is on 30 gms twice a day and on the arden grange light, which is hypoallergenic and contains l-carnitine which helps convert food into muscle and not stored as fat, I think royal canine weight loss has it too.

I must say that Harley does seem to be healthy and happier at his lower weight, he eats all his food the second i put it down and licks the bowl clean, i had half a box of tesco food left which i add now and then to try and use it up, he leaves that and waits for his arden grange. di