Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken hearts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chicken hearts

Have you ever feed your dog chicken hearts?

I was shopping today and in the meat department I saw a package of chicken hearts for $1.50 a lb. For such a great price, I wanted to buy it to give to Brian mixed with his kibble and also for treats. The problem is that they grossed me out so badly that I convinced myself that they aren't good for him, I guess since I wouldn't eat them myself.

Are chicken hearts ok to feed to dogs?
    ***My little boy Brian lights up my life*** Born August 16th, 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I feed my dogs raw chicken and turkey hearts. I buy premade frozen raw food so it is ground with veggies. It looks pretty gross, red and bloody when thawed, but the dogs love the stuff.
    J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like

I havent seen chicken hearts in the shops but I buy lambs hearts for my dogs (who currently eat part raw & part kibble) - if I saw chicken or turkey hearts in the shops I would definatly buy them as they love lambs heart.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought different kinds of hearts, including chicken hearts, for my dogs and they LOVE them! And they're always cheap
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My understanding is chicken hearts are actually really good for them and are often fed as a natural supplement for dogs with murmurs. There is a substance found naturally in the chicken hearts that is really good for them and costs a lot more to buy as a supplement (Taurine).

http://www.carnitine-taurine.com/

The idea grosses me out too, but Lucky's dad has a murmur, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start both my guys on supplements, including the chicken hearts.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We rotate our dogs' raw food diet daily, and when we serve chicken, we add an ounce of chicken hearts per ten ounces of meat. We do it as a supplement to support the dogs' hearts. I think the best supplements come from the organs of animals -- especially the ones which relate to the health issues of the dogs -- but my bride warns that too much organ meat is not a good thing. So we limit the chicken hearts to 10% of the weight of the meat.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you cut up the hearts, or feed it whole?

Post Thanks / Like

We got a small pack of dehydrated chicken hearts at puppy class. They were probably the only thing I've ever known Max NOT to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    Do you cut up the hearts, or feed it whole?
    We feed chicken hearts whole. They weigh about a quarter to three-eighths of an ounce each. We also feed beef heart -- when we feed raw beef -- which we cut into pieces weighing about a half ounce each. My bride taught me to use a small digital scale for all food preparation. It was not my idea, but it does make for uniformity of servings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One thing to keep in mind is that hearts can be both rich and fatty. I know they would not be recommended for overweight dogs and also should not be fed in large amounts. Chicken hearts or smaller pieces fed occasionally is one thing but never a whole large heart. Dogs often love them but they should be fed in moderation.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com