• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Neuter question

nannyj

I'm planning on getting Quincy neutered next month, when he's almost 7 months old. What is the recovery time for this surgery? Also, he has one testicle that didn't drop, so the vet said they'll have to search for it during the surgery. I don't know if this adds more time to the recovery or not. We're going on vacation about 3 weeks after the neuter - will he be OK by then?

We were told with our boys to keep them from being too crazy for about a week....this was hard because 24 hours after they were home they had no idea they just had surgery. In other words your trip should be just fine.

BUT I don't know how the undescended testicle effects this. I would just call your vet but I can't imagine it adding 2 weeks to the recovery time.

I think that with an undescended testicle will increase the recovery time. Max thought he was recovered the same evening. He wasn't to be active for a week. When I called the vet's office for help because that seemed impossible they clarified that the activity that "he" felt ready for like running around the yard like a crazy dog without provocation was ok. What they were trying to prevent was people running, hunting, etc. and working their dogs - of course no swimming either.

I have only ever experienced a Lab with an undescended testicle, he was neutered and it was removed. Everything went to plan and recovery time with the same as usual (although, after a day or two he was in perfect form and you'd swear he had nothing done!). I can't imagine why an undescended testicle would cause a longer recovery time, unless there was a problem encoutered while they are searching for it (as far as I am aware they tend to be easy to find and don't cause any problems coming out) but, as I said, this is my only experience with the issue. Usual recovery time tends to be until the stitches come out, so 10 days to 2 weeks. Some dogs heal slower than others but with boys it tends not affect them too much, the general problem is getting THEM to realise they need to recover and prevent them from leaping around the place!

If you are worried about it, talk to your vet. They should be able to tell you all you need to know about it.

Back