Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Henry signs up with Pet Plan

Thank you all for your stories and input. Based on your favorable experiences I did purchase an insurance policy for Henry with Pet Plan. Let's hope he never needs it

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just as an FYI, some companies only operate in certain countries, and countries with the same name can be entirely independently run and owned in different countries and will not have the same policies. This is the case for example with PetPlan -- it is originally a UK company and the US PetPlan is a wholly owned and *separate* franchise; the Canadian PetPlan is separate again. The Irish PetPlan has different policies than the UK PetPlan (though they are broadly similar).

So when looking for insurance, be sure to get information on the individual company in one's own country.

I've been very happy with PetPlan in Ireland, which is currently owned by Allianz. I believe there's now a second company in the market but don't know anything about it.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The new irishcompany is petinsure.ie
    I have my pair insured with them. I have not had any claims with them yet though so cant comment on that but if I ever do i'll let you know
    Siobhan
    Belle (Tri-F) Rosie (Ruby-F) Bismarck (Blenheim-M)
    Prince (At the Bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone who posted seem to be proponents of getting insurance but I'm just curious, does anyone here advocate not getting pet insurance for cavs?

I.e., in the case of the average cavalier who doesn't suffer any major issues, would health insurance simply be an expensive luxury, or something that will most probably pay back itself over time?

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 Cavaliers and do not have insurance on any of them. I weighed the cost vs benefits, and in MOST cases it is a better investment not to get insurance. The reality is, though, you just never know what your dog's future health holds. That's what insurance is for, really; the unknown.

If you are someone who carries top-of-the-line health insurance on yourself and your family, then I would imagine you would want your pet insured. I am one of those who has the "bare bones" health insurance...the "just in case there's a real emergency" coverage. So I am more of a gambler.

When something does come up, however, it's always easier to say "do it" when you don't have to worry about how much it will cost.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

We also don't have insurance. When we got Max we thought seriously about the cost/vs. benefit and how much Mindy and our Golden had cost in vet bills (quite minimal) and decided against it. If one of the dogs does end up having a serious condition I may certainly regret the decision but it was a one that we put a lot of thought into.

Post Thanks / Like

We have PetPlan, so far so good!
    Charlie 17/07/03

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chloe and Mindy. I got a couple of online quotes from some US insurance companies. Looks like it'll be US$25-35 per month for the coverage I would get, if I were to get any. Wasn't able to get quotes from a couple of sites because the puppy's not 8 weeks yet (though I guess I could have just changed his birthdate to get a quote now that I think about it). More research to do sigh!

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that before I had my Cavaliers I had two dogs that werenít pedigrees and I had insurance for them. Back then I never even thought about life time cover and the insurance was basic and cheap. They both lived to a ripe old age of 15 and I never used my insurance. So this time round I wondered if I should bother about insurance, then I learned about all the problems cavaliers can encounter and thanks to this forum I thought that a cheap insurance wonít be enough and I choose the life time cover. And thank god I did as I found out that my Ebony has a heart murmur with the age of 2 Ĺ . The vet said that if it would be another breed having a heart murmur with 2 Ĺ he be worried but he said this is a cavalier, it is expected. Itís not costing me nothing at the moment but I know there will be the time where I need to spend the money and I am glad I can give her the best possible treatment there is because I donít have to worry about how much it going to cost me.
    Everybody got their own opinion but I am glad I have got insurance.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harleyfarley View Post
    we, (me, pauline and brian) have axa, i have only just joined them and about to test them out, pauline's dylan has sm and says they are brilliant, brian recommended them to pauline originally so he is obviously plesed with them, on that basis i plumped for them. di

I too have AXA and they have been excellent. They paid out promptly for all Sally's costly cardiac investigations at Leahurst and have also been great to communicate with via post and on the telephone. I would definitely recommend this company to UK members.
    Sally (Blenheim) 01/02/07
    Lois (Tricolour) 25/09/08