Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair

Post Thanks / Like

My blenheim Jasper who is now 9 is short coated, he does have quite thick fur around his neck and chest and similiar length ears to mhaca`s photo, I have a photo of him when he was about 1 year old and he has no feathering on his legs - I had`nt really appreciated how short his coat was in comparison to other cavs until I have seen photos of dogs on here, Jasper`s mother had a short coat and very deep chestnut so I guess he has turned after her, it`s obviously in the breeding lines.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it has to do with genetics as well. Winston, my blenheim male, will be 4 YO this summer and has a relatively short coat. I actually appreciate this, though, because my tri has a seriously long coat allover and it is very difficult to keep dematted! Ollie, my b&t (and a poor-bred) has feathering on his beack legs, but hardly any on his front legs and his chest and body is very lightly coated although he has nice long ears. Genetics I think.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    But again this is really dependent on lines and individuals.
    I think this says it all.

Lucky is 3 and has an an easy to maintain short coat overall but luxurious feathering and nice long ears. Sparky is a rescue (guess 1.75 yrs?) and has a really wild full coat that is just starting to get full (I can tell I'm going to have fun with that!) but his ears are short. So I really think it just depends. They are starting to look very different because of their coats, despite both being rubies with nearly identical markings.
    Last edited by Lani; 17th June 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Lani, I thought they were brothers they look so much alike!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It does depend so much on lines - Rupert had the most wonderful long ears - as did his Dad, Margaret C's Monty

Rupert

Cruz's ears aren't as long - and won't get any longer. His leathers {the skin underneath} aren't that long. He has the most amazing hairy chest though!!

It is hereditary, and as Karlin says, also comes down to coat colour with regard to ears - B&Ts and Tris usually have the longest ears.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org