• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The SM Cavalier Collection Scheme

Margaret C

This is a sensitive subject, and I do not want to upset any owner who has a dog with SM ( I have three myself ) but as many of you will know, I organise and fund raise for a scheme that provides cell tissue for SM and other research in the UK.

I'm pleased to say that we now have the scheme shown on Dr Clare Rusbridge's homepage.
The beautiful dog in the photo is my Ch. Mareve Indiana ( Monty ) who was postmortemed by Clare when he died in 2004.
http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

There is a fund raising thread, I have posted today........ http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=28271&page=12 , but I have decided to also post here, as one of the most important things at the moment is to reach owners of SM dogs, so they know about the scheme & can think whether it is something they could consider when the time comes.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the owners of cavaliers that are being scanned this week
Don't despair, many dogs can have their symptoms controlled for years and will end up dying of some other health problem when elderly.

Hi Margaret,
I had already decided to "donate" my girl even before we saw the neurologist.im sorry if some find that distasteful-my reasoning is that if it helps in the future its worth it,my girl is beyond wonderful & when that time comes(ive told her she has to live to be 100!) i think it would bring me some comfort to know she may help others in the future.
However im now a bit concerned as it says there they have to have been scanned Margaret & the man didnt scan Ruby when we went as he diagnosed her on clinical symptoms alone,does that mean we wouldnt be eligable?

Weldone tupup I also think if i can help in anyway im more that glad to think its not all in vain and future cavs will hopefully be spared. If Harley is diagnosed on Wed what steps to i need to take to be cosidered for the programe. di

Hi Margaret,
I had already decided to "donate" my girl even before we saw the neurologist.im sorry if some find that distasteful-my reasoning is that if it helps in the future its worth it,my girl is beyond wonderful & when that time comes(ive told her she has to live to be 100!) i think it would bring me some comfort to know she may help others in the future.
However im now a bit concerned as it says there they have to have been scanned Margaret & the man didnt scan Ruby when we went as he diagnosed her on clinical symptoms alone,does that mean we wouldnt be eligable?

We all hope our cavaliers will become the Guinness Book of Record holder for longevity.

I regret to say that this collection scheme does only include cavaliers that have their SM confirmed by MRI.

A scientific study must be able to demonstrate that their criteria has been met, and although SM could be confirmed during the post mortem, it would leave the spinal cord no longer suitable for the study.

I have Mum's old William, obviously affected with SM but not scanned. He is 12.5 years old and with a grade 5 heart murmur, but he will not be able to be included when the time comes.

Tommy & Matthew have been scanned, but I'm hoping for a few more years with them.

Weldone tupup I also think if i can help in anyway im more that glad to think its not all in vain and future cavs will hopefully be spared. If Harley is diagnosed on Wed what steps to i need to take to be cosidered for the programe. di

Hello Di,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Harley will not have SM.:xfngr:

For anyone thinking of donating their cavalier sometime in the future, the first step is to contact me. I can then explain the scheme in detail.

I would like to emphasis that at no time does anyone commit to volunteering their pet.
Nobody can be sure just exactly how they will feel when they have to say goodbye to a much loved member of the family, and we recognise that people may need to change their minds at the last moment.

Back