• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Impacted Anal Gland...Bella very poorly

team bella

Just had Bella to the vet and she has an impacted anal gland which is infected and possible absess. She has given her a painkilling injection, pain killers and antibiotics. She wants to see her in 48 hours and if she's not better they may have to lance it. Bella is very down and just lying in the kitchen away from everything. She just wants to be left alone and doesn't want to go out or eat. If there's no improvment in the next 24 hours do you think I should take her back and not wait 48 hours. There was no indication that the glands were full as she didn't do any scooting. I hate to see her like this as she really is the life and soul of the place and never stops running around.
I can't believe something like this can lay her so low. Any advise would be appreciated.:(

That happened to Daisy last year.The antibiotics worked and she was much better after 48 hours.The vet was able to empty them a week later without having his fingers bitten off.
No doubt it's very painful for them but there was no hint that anything was wrong,no scooting until she began to walk very stiffly on her back legs and started licking under her tail obsessively.
Just sit tight and she'll get better.
Sins

I hope Bella feels better very soon poor lamb. I hope with all the meds she will be running about before long, its just awful to see them laid low:hug:

Leo had one rupture with no signs at all until the point when it ruptured and then he was not a happy boy. :eek: The vet cleaned him up and he had some painkillers and I had to keep the area cleaned with antiseptic. So yes would leave it, there isn't much more that can be done and with luck it will improve so that the lancing isn't needed. Good luck Bella!

I hope she feels better very soon. :flwr:

I had a dog with an abscessed anal gland years ago; she required surgery. It can be a very serious infection. Since then, I check my cavaliers regularly and get them in to the vet if their glands start to fill up.

Oh, poor little Bella! We just went through this with Gem. She had an anal gland that was just about to rupture. She wasn't her usual perky self, but other than being unusually quiet, there weren't any other signs. She wasn't scooting and I never saw her licking. (We were actually competing at an agility trial). I noticed her licking her bottom (for the first time) and when I checked where she was licking, I saw her huge red gland. I took her immediately to the vet and he had to lance the gland. If you don't need to lance, it would be best to wait. Gem had to wear an e-collar for about a week, she was on antibiotics and painkillers. I had to put warm compresses on her lanced gland twice a day and put an ointment on the cut. Hopefully Bella will start to feel better really soon. I am trying to be more vigilant in checking behinds now.
J.

My Cavaleir lady had imacted and infected galnds quite a while ago. Vet went to put his hand on them to see if he could get anything out and the screams nearly killed us. Nothing came out and they felt huge so doses of antibiotics and painkillers for 5 days were given and then back into the vet. During the 5 days she had stared to lick at her bum a lot and it was obvious something was wrong, where as before hand she was just miserable but didn't go near her bum (was prob too sore to go at). When we went back in, he drained them. Quite a lot of pus and blood came out along with very thick black goo (and the smell was awful!). Back onto antibiotics for a week and when we went back in everything had cleared up.

I think you should wait the whole 48 hours, just to give the meds a chance to work. My lady was very down the first few days after the initial vet visit but did improve. As Jay mentioned, a warm compress (towel or old cloth) works quite well at giving them some relief. Soak it in hot water (not boiling, ok for you to still hold but quie hot) and squeeze it out so that it is damp and hold onto their bum until it cools down. It worked well on my lady, she seemed less uncomfortable afterwards. I did it 2/3 times a day, on the vets advice.

Hope Bella is feeling better soon.

Just want to echo what some of the others have said. Maddie had an infected impacted gland a while ago, painkillers and antibiotics worked and she was able to have them emptied a few days later. She didn't show any signs beforehand, it was Pippin sniffing obsessively around her bottom that alerted us. He's a good boy:D. She's been ok since, but I do get her glands emptied regularly without waiting for any scooting (which she doesn't do) or licking to start.

Let us know how she's getting on.

:updte: Last night she was very down and unhappy. She did not want to go out for her last walk at all.
I managed to get her to the end of the road and sort of hung around the grass area hoping she would do a wee, but nothing. :dgwlk:
I tried again at about 11pm and still no progress. She had not had a wee since lunchtime so I was a bit worried about that. She would only drink water that I took to her and was off her food. Anyway she slept on my bedroom floor and not her usual sofa last night, it was like she didn't want to be on her own. This morning she didn't want to move and I had to pick her up and bring her downstairs. Again took her out and still no wee. Her bladder must have been full. When I got her back I noticed that her bottom was very dirty with horrible black stuff. I washed her bottom area as best I could without her yelping too much. I rang the vet at 8.30 and they said don't try to feed her and bring her in as she may have to have an op. Well when I put her lead on to go to the vet she seemed brighter and her tail was up. I took her outside and she did her wee (it had only taken 21 hours). Then she wanted to go on a little walk and seemed a lot happier. I rang the vet back and said I would wait and see how she went on for the rest of the day. So far she seems brighter and she did manage to give the postman what for when he dared to put post through the letterbox. She has rested a lot today and her snoring has been like a JCB which is normal for her. I think the combination of the warm bottom wash,antibiotics and painkillers are helping her. Hopefully when she's back at the vets tomorrow they'll be an improvement.
Thank you to everyone for the advice and experience its been so helpful and made me feel much better. I will try the hot flannel tonight as it will be easier than a bath.:thnx:
Episode 2 will be tomorrow evening.

Hi,

We've been through this also. Leo actually had to have surgery last November for an impacted gland and an abcess. He's been ok since but 2 weeks ago he's scooting and scratching so back we go and yes he's impacted AGAIN:(
He's got to have 2 weeks of antibiotics then on Monday ive got to take him back to have them squeezed:eek:

He hates it.....I hate it and I dont think the vet is too happy either!

Good luck with Bella

Mel

Well I've taken her back to the vets today and I'm tears for her. She had another restless night, she was sat panting and not getting much sleep. I rang the vet and got her appointment brought forward to lunchtime. The vet had a look it her bottom and Bella screamed the place down. It would appear that it has burst and is very painfull. They tell me its a good thing its burst but I'm struggling to see that at the moment. They took her away and shaved her bottom and when they brought her back I couldn't believe the size of the hole. Its about the size of a 50p piece and is just raw. I was so shocked. Bella just wouldn't stop crying and kept looking up to me to do something. The vet has given her another pain killing injection which is opium based (like morphine for dogs) and its made her a bit sleepy. They put a massive collar on her which made her terrified so I took it off when I got her home. I'll put it on again if she licks the wound but she's in so much pain I don't think she will. The worst bit is she yelps cries everytime she moves and I've got to keep cleaning the wound 2 or 3 times a day.....I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm going to be stressed out hurting her. I'm worried about her being stressed as she's got her heart murmer and its not nice to see panting endlessly. I'm going to see how I get on with cleaning the wound tonight and it the morning. If I struggle with this, and if she's still suffering, would it be fair to ask the vet to take her in for a couple of days. Maybe just to help her get over the worst part. I'm just not sure I can do this properly when she's crying so much. Please let me know what you would do.

Just tried clean her with the antiseptic the vet gave me and it was awful. She's hiding her bottom and when I did get to have a look and started to clean her she yelped the place down. I feel totally useless and Bella just keeps looking at me like she's begging me not to hurt her. She won't go out and she won't drink. She's just about eating the ham wrapped around the tablets. Sorry to keep going on I'm so upset at the moment.:cry*ing:

Oh poor Bella. polka had this happen once, the groomer found it, and it looked just like Bella's. Keep up with the medication and the compress. I am sure it hurts her terribly. she will start feeling better. but honestly the trauma of leaving her with a vet and not in the comfort of her own home could be worse. Now that it is exposed, this should lead to healing. the medication should start working and you will hopefully see improvement in 24 - 48 hrs. I am sure you are doing a wonderful job taking care of her. I feel for you, it is hard to see our girls in pain.

I think it's right to leave her to recover in her own home,in familiar surroundings and smells.
Just keep her warm and let her in peace to sleep.With the cleasing,be as fast as you can,it has to be done and hopefully she'll feel better in the next day or two.
Sins

Sorry I missed this. Poor Bella and poor you :hug::hug:
It's just awful when they are poorly and you feel so helpless watching them. I hope by tomorrow Bella will start to feel a lot better and less sore when she moves. You are doing a great job just by being there with her so hang tight and you'll get through this.

Sending positive healing thoughts to Bella and great big hugs to you.

ive just seen this too:eek: oh you poor thing how awful for you & Bella, ive quite got a lump in my throat hearing this. all you can do is your best,shes not going to want you to clean her but she'l thank you for it in a day or two & at least she is taking the meds:) Plse give her gentle hugs from me & my girls
i keep a plastic syringe thing for when Ruby has a poorly tummy & wont drink, failing that ive just dripped water into her mouth from my fingers before.Cant fault her not wanting to eat drink tho with a sore bottom:(
You being there will make Bella feel better even if you feel "useless", hang in there & i hope you both have a much better day tomorrow:flwr::flwr::hug::hug:

Just tried clean her with the antiseptic the vet gave me and it was awful. She's hiding her bottom and when I did get to have a look and started to clean her she yelped the place down. I feel totally useless and Bella just keeps looking at me like she's begging me not to hurt her. She won't go out and she won't drink. She's just about eating the ham wrapped around the tablets. Sorry to keep going on I'm so upset at the moment.:cry*ing:

I just went through this last week. An anal gland burst-- large hole, bloody stinky mess. My vet took her overnight. The day I brought her in he flush the gland, put her on an IV antibiotics until morning. I took her home 8am and she was 95% normal. Today, a week later (except for the shaved bottom) you'd never have guessed that she had a huge gaping wound. He gave me three days of NSAIDs and some clindamycin. She still has three days of antibiotics.

What a horible time your having, there,s nothing worse than seeing an animal in pain. Hopefully now tho the worst will be over & Bella will start to feel better soon, just keep going & giving your girl lots of love :lotsaluv:

My heart goes out to you and Bella. I find it worse when the dogs are sick because I feel so unable to help. Kepp up the good work, all you efforts are amking things much better for her (even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment) and I really hope she is feeling better soon.

Back