Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Impacted Anal Gland...Bella very poorly

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

We've been through this also. Leo actually had to have surgery last November for an impacted gland and an abcess. He's been ok since but 2 weeks ago he's scooting and scratching so back we go and yes he's impacted AGAIN
    He's got to have 2 weeks of antibiotics then on Monday ive got to take him back to have them squeezed

He hates it.....I hate it and I dont think the vet is too happy either!

Good luck with Bella

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've taken her back to the vets today and I'm tears for her. She had another restless night, she was sat panting and not getting much sleep. I rang the vet and got her appointment brought forward to lunchtime. The vet had a look it her bottom and Bella screamed the place down. It would appear that it has burst and is very painfull. They tell me its a good thing its burst but I'm struggling to see that at the moment. They took her away and shaved her bottom and when they brought her back I couldn't believe the size of the hole. Its about the size of a 50p piece and is just raw. I was so shocked. Bella just wouldn't stop crying and kept looking up to me to do something. The vet has given her another pain killing injection which is opium based (like morphine for dogs) and its made her a bit sleepy. They put a massive collar on her which made her terrified so I took it off when I got her home. I'll put it on again if she licks the wound but she's in so much pain I don't think she will. The worst bit is she yelps cries everytime she moves and I've got to keep cleaning the wound 2 or 3 times a day.....I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm going to be stressed out hurting her. I'm worried about her being stressed as she's got her heart murmer and its not nice to see panting endlessly. I'm going to see how I get on with cleaning the wound tonight and it the morning. If I struggle with this, and if she's still suffering, would it be fair to ask the vet to take her in for a couple of days. Maybe just to help her get over the worst part. I'm just not sure I can do this properly when she's crying so much. Please let me know what you would do.

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried clean her with the antiseptic the vet gave me and it was awful. She's hiding her bottom and when I did get to have a look and started to clean her she yelped the place down. I feel totally useless and Bella just keeps looking at me like she's begging me not to hurt her. She won't go out and she won't drink. She's just about eating the ham wrapped around the tablets. Sorry to keep going on I'm so upset at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor Bella. polka had this happen once, the groomer found it, and it looked just like Bella's. Keep up with the medication and the compress. I am sure it hurts her terribly. she will start feeling better. but honestly the trauma of leaving her with a vet and not in the comfort of her own home could be worse. Now that it is exposed, this should lead to healing. the medication should start working and you will hopefully see improvement in 24 - 48 hrs. I am sure you are doing a wonderful job taking care of her. I feel for you, it is hard to see our girls in pain.
    MLHirsch
    Polka TriColor 7/14/95 & Colleen Blen 7/7/99

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's right to leave her to recover in her own home,in familiar surroundings and smells.
    Just keep her warm and let her in peace to sleep.With the cleasing,be as fast as you can,it has to be done and hopefully she'll feel better in the next day or two.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed this. Poor Bella and poor you
    It's just awful when they are poorly and you feel so helpless watching them. I hope by tomorrow Bella will start to feel a lot better and less sore when she moves. You are doing a great job just by being there with her so hang tight and you'll get through this.

Sending positive healing thoughts to Bella and great big hugs to you.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

ive just seen this too oh you poor thing how awful for you & Bella, ive quite got a lump in my throat hearing this. all you can do is your best,shes not going to want you to clean her but she'l thank you for it in a day or two & at least she is taking the meds Plse give her gentle hugs from me & my girls
    i keep a plastic syringe thing for when Ruby has a poorly tummy & wont drink, failing that ive just dripped water into her mouth from my fingers before.Cant fault her not wanting to eat drink tho with a sore bottom
    You being there will make Bella feel better even if you feel "useless", hang in there & i hope you both have a much better day tomorrow
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by team bella View Post
    Just tried clean her with the antiseptic the vet gave me and it was awful. She's hiding her bottom and when I did get to have a look and started to clean her she yelped the place down. I feel totally useless and Bella just keeps looking at me like she's begging me not to hurt her. She won't go out and she won't drink. She's just about eating the ham wrapped around the tablets. Sorry to keep going on I'm so upset at the moment.
    I just went through this last week. An anal gland burst-- large hole, bloody stinky mess. My vet took her overnight. The day I brought her in he flush the gland, put her on an IV antibiotics until morning. I took her home 8am and she was 95% normal. Today, a week later (except for the shaved bottom) you'd never have guessed that she had a huge gaping wound. He gave me three days of NSAIDs and some clindamycin. She still has three days of antibiotics.

Post Thanks / Like

What a horible time your having, there,s nothing worse than seeing an animal in pain. Hopefully now tho the worst will be over & Bella will start to feel better soon, just keep going & giving your girl lots of love
    Sarah

Harry-tri & Charlie-ruby

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you and Bella. I find it worse when the dogs are sick because I feel so unable to help. Kepp up the good work, all you efforts are amking things much better for her (even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment) and I really hope she is feeling better soon.