• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

high performance barf diet?

renate

is there anybody here who feeds raw foods to their dogs, and can give me some advice on high-performance barf diet?

my cavaliers are all barf dogs since puppyhood, and are doing very well.
we participate in various sports, mainly heelwork to music, rally-o and schweiss trailing.
at certain times of the year there are many competitions, and daily or almost daily training. naturally i increase the amount of their meat, but i have a theory that maybe i should also increase their intake of calories.

only i am not at all sure whether they should come from fat or carbonhydrates.:confused:

can anybody enlighten me?

Im not sure there is a high performance BARF diet to be honest.

Ive been increasingly looking into raw diets & currently feed mine about 3/4 raw & 1/4 high quality kibble (james welbeloved). - the reason for this is that Cassie does better with some kibble rather than purley on raw.

Perhaps look throught the net for people with working dogs who use the diet?

I would guess that they would just need more protien (based on the fact that 'performance' foods tend to be higher in protien levels.) So perhaps you could add an extra raw egg when they need a bit extra? - thats just a thought.

Raw egg has avidin in it which binds biotin. If you're feeding egg, cook the white part to prevent nutritional deficiency.

Dogs can efficiently process protein to turn it into a glucose bit for use in energy making. Bodies will preferentially use carbohydrate first, however, before resorting to protein. They do not NEED carbohydrate in the diet, but this does not mean they perform well without it in the diet.

I can't find if fat or carb would be better to add. I would try adding a high quality carbohydrate like sweet potato (not yam) and see how the pups do on it. I would avoid gluten found in wheat, rye, barley etc and corn as well. Others to try would be brown rice, lentils, quinoa and amaranth.

thanks for answers!:)

i did try increasing protein simply by increasing their meat rations.

will experiment a litte. first i'll try the added high carb version for a couple of weeks, then switch to adding more fat.

then we'll see how it goes.

i never feed egg whites, only the yolk.

I've been experimenting with 'high octane' diet for my girls for some weeks now, maybe somebody has the same 'problem' and is interested to know how it went.

after having increased first their carbonhydrate intake by adding boiled, mashed sweet potatoes to their regular food i switched to adding extra fat, naturally only on days with more that average training and competitions.

what seemes to be the best solution is feeding a high-fatty-meal (ca. 40% pure animal fat) ca. 3-5 hours before the training/test.
then ca. 4 hours after i substitute ca. 30% of their regular food with sweet potatoe and ad 1 tsp. og linseed oil.

there is a marked difference from before, when i only increased the amount of food. they are more alert, and have much more stamina and drive.

Back