• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Who to tell??

Gem

Hi guys,
am after some advice for my friend just wondered if anyone had any ideas. her mum was walking her dog (little staffie) very friendly - they have quite a bad reputation here so she always keeps her muzzled in public but she is so gentle- anyway to cut a long story short there were 4 greyhounds in the park (all off lead) that ran over and attacked her. the owner then just ran off - it was all really quick but the staffie was really hurt she has had 3 operations this week and so far cost £1500 in vets bills and is still in quite a serious condition. they have managed to find out where the greyhound owner lives and informed the police - who are not atall interested as say it is not an offence for a dog to attack another animal but they will log it in case they attack a human in future:mad: who else can this be reported to? she isnt bothered about the money as would pay anything to make her better but is terrified of them attacking another dog or child in future - u really thought the police would take action but obviously not

Gem, that's awful. The only other thing I can suggest is contacting the local dog warden. I heard a similar story recently whilst out walking with Phoebe. What you say is correct, the police are not really interested in what they consider to be "dog on dog" attacks.
A very timid looking Cavalier approached us and the owner warned us that he looked terrified because he was recovering from an attack from a bull mastiff that had dragged it's owner across a road to get at the Cav. The poor little thing had only just had the staples taken out of his neck. He nearly died from the attack and his owner had received a bite to the side of her hand whilst trying to get the mastiff off her dog. The only reason the police were prepared to do anything was because the owner was bitten. If she hadn't been injured, nothing would have been done. She found that the local dog warden seemed more determined to act than the police. I've not seen her since, so don't know how things are going.
This beautiful little Cav was only 12 months old, it was a joy to see him relax a little bit with one of his own, he had a little run around and romp with Phoebe which was an absolute pleasure to see.
I do hope your friend and her staffie will be ok.

Wow, so sorry your friend's mother had this terrible thing happen to her.

In the US, the owner of the greyhounds would be responsible for the vet bills. Do you have something similar to 'small claims' court? It is handled as a civil case, not criminal, but they would have to pay the vet bill or lose their driver's license, etc. As long as the money owed is below a certain dollar amount, no attorneys are needed. I would ask the vet to split the bill up over different dates and collect for each vet bill separately if the total amount was over the small claims limit.

Also, you might want to find out if there is a way to get the dogs labeled vicious, as they have developed a pack mentality and are attacking 'prey'. Perhaps a veterinarian could help you with some advice?

I'd ring the dog warden and also the council -- I cannot believe the owner would not be liable. Even here in Ireland where we have weak laws in this area, in this kind of case the owner would be liable for the costs and the dogs would likely be impounded and the owner fined. Dogs have to be under the control of their owner at all times.

On the other hand maybe there's a loophole that won;t allow a prosecution. If so that's a serious problem and should be changed!

OK here you go:

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/factsheets/doglaw/presentlaw/

Control

• Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (outside London) and Metropolitan Police Act 1839 (London)

These Acts make it an offence to allow an unmuzzled, ferocious dog to be left at large, or for a person to set on or to urge any dog attack, worry or put in fear any person or animal in the street.

• Dogs Act 1871

Under this Act, a court may, upon complaint that a dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, order the owner to keep him under proper control or to be destroyed.

• Dangerous Dogs Act (DDA) 1991

Section 3 applies to all dogs, making it a criminal offence to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place. This includes instances where there is fear that an injury might occur.
Owners found guilty under either section of the Act could have their dog destroyed, face the possibility of six months in prison and/or a fine not exceeding level 5 (at present up to £5,000).

Local authorities may have additional acts.

I'd talk to a dog warden but also go back to the police -- they are required to act upon a formal complaint I should think. Dog's Trust could probably advise or the RSPCA. A small claims court case should be able to secure payment of your bills.

thanks so much for all the advice,will let my friend know tonight. the dog had another op today as she has a major infection in her neck and its difficult for her to breathe - the vet did say that if she was an old dog they wouldnt be putting her through all these operations but she's not yet turned 2!
i think its the principal of the owner been so arrogant and irresponsible i think he probably uses the greyhounds for racing rather than as pets:mad:
its just scary to think something like this can happen and you get no support from the police surelt thats what we pay counciltax for!!!

I sincerely hope your friends dog recovers, the poor little thing seems to be going through an awful lot. Fingers crossed that your friend can at least get the vet bills paid for.

Our dog trainer told of a similar situation in a nearby park. The attacking dog owner said that their was only his word against the injured dog's owner.

Our trainer and another person took their dogs , camera and went to the same park. Armed with photos of an attacking dog and the owner, they then went to local governing board for help and got it!

Heather R

Hoping your friends dog makes a good recovery.

I would definately get in touch with the police again, if the dogs were not under reasonable control - which they were not the police if a formal complaint is made have to act upon it.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2008/080603a.htm

just put a link in with some info - incase you havnt seen it.

good luck

Back