Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankie's ill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frankie's ill

Our 12 year old Blenheim Frankie is usually very jolly and youthful. This morning he wouldn't get up. It looked like he couldn't use his hind legs. During the day he had really bad diarrhea (very black gloopy stuff). We took him to the vets who is treating him for colitis at the moment. So, he's got to take metron, zitac and antepsin for a couple of days before we go back to the vet. I can't make Frankie take his tablets because he is not interested in food (not at all like him!), and he also doesn't seem to want any water. Has anybody got any clever ideas?
    I suppose I'm just "airing" my worries to you out there. We have not had Frankie very long (16 months) as he was a rescue, and we don't want to loose him...
    Susanne

PS: His tail is still wagging!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear he's not feeling so good. Have you tried hiding his tablet inside a small piece of cheese, or wrapped in a tiny piece of ham ? Hope the poor lad is soon feeling better.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Frankie will usually be fooled by a tablet hidden in some cheese ...but not today. He's sleeping now, so I'll just leave it for today and hope that his greed will win tomorrow morning...Thanks, Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Black indicates bleeding higher up in the GI tract like the stomach, so I wonder if there's something more than colitis which usually results in red blood in the stool.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry about Frankie. My Mindy is 11 and just at the vet this week so I know how worrisome it is. I hope he feels better tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried crushing them & putting them in something like honey? he's get a bit of sugar into his sytem too if you could get the honey into him.

If mie ever wont drink I make up either a stock cube (with double the amount of water it says to because of the salt content) Or marmite disolved in hot water, or a cup of tea! this 'usualy' works for my two - mine love tea, they allways have it after walkies in the winter to warm them up!

PS - hope Frankie feels better today.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear that Frankie is so unwell. If he is still lethargic and refusing to take his tablets and water then you should really take him back to the Vet. He needs the meds to make him better and perhaps the vet will be able to get them into him. Plus, I guess that if he is refusing water, he will become dehydrated and that will make him feel worse.

I hope he starts to feel better very soon and {{hugs}} to you both.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your lovely thoughts!! I really like this forum, it's lovely to feel supported.
    Update on my elder statesman: Today Frankie has been taking his tablets hidden in some nibbly bits! He's also walking around again. I don't think he's drinking enough, although he's started having a little water tonight. I love the idea of tea and alternative drinks...Will give it a go.
    Tomorrow, we'll go back to the vets. I do think he's on the mend.
    Thanks again, Susanne and Frankie xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Great news, thanks for updating us. I hope Frankie continues to improve
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

So glad Frankie is responding ,such a worry for an elderly gentleman to be poorly.Plenty of little drinks are the most important for now ,dehydration will cause more problems than lack of food.
    healing vibes to Frankie.