Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody feed ACANA? Same makers as Orijen...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody feed ACANA? Same makers as Orijen...

I just found out that the same producers of Orijen also make Acana, which is a lower protein food. Ollie seems to do better with a lower protein food than my other two. Anyone feed this?

www.championpetfoods.com

I should add that this company produces all of their food in their own factory, NOTHING is outsourced. All ingredients arrive fresh, never frozen. I could go on and on, I love Orijen (and my dogs do too) THIS much.

Here is one of Acana's new grain-free products. It's a lot cheaper than Orijen, and looks like a really good option for a lower protein food for Ollie. I will always use Orijen for my other two.

http://www.heartypet.com/acana-prair...e-dog-food.php
    Last edited by chloe92us; 18th June 2009 at 01:18 AM.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I feed my 4 dogs Orijen 6 Fish. They are a Champion Pet Foods is a great company and for the very reasons they listed. I haven't heard of Acana. Thanks for posting about the new dog food.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would love to try the Acana, but it isn't sold in Ohio. I'll have to figure out how to buy some. Hmmm, I wonder if I could become a distributor?!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

My local Orijen supplier doesn't sell it either, but since they're made by the same company, I would imagine they would be able to order it....I'll be calling them tomorrow to find out. I think I pay about $66 for a 30 lb bag of Orijen and this is about $55 a bag. Hey, that's $10/ a month less!
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

The store where I purchase my Orijen is going to order it in for me- I'll have it in a week! I'll let you know how it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Nicki tried both Orijen and Acana, actually he preferred the second one, for a few months now he has been on Burns , brown rice and fish, it is a holistic food cruelty free made in the UK, so don't know whether is it sold in the US as well, lower in proteins than Acana and so far he has found it tasty

good luck
    Chiara from Italy
    & Nickey tri /M 23/05/2008
    Morgana boxer/F 19/05/1993 26/11/2007, forever in our hearts

Post Thanks / Like

That's strange - at the one place you can get Orijen and Acana in the UK (Zooplus), the Acana is slightly more expensive!
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like

That's weird! Orijen is their premium brand, and Acana is their medium line brand targeted to those people who want to buy a REALLY good food, but not spend the extra money for the super premium brands. The Acana grain-free line is new, but they have a regular product range that is not grain-free including a mini bites product. I had never heard of them before until I got on the Orijen website to send them a testimonial and discovered their other line of foods.

From their website:
    While there are many differences between ACANA and ORIJEN, both diets reflect our belief in “Biologically Appropriateness, and “Fresh Regional Ingredients”.

Five of the main points of difference are summarized below:
    1. MEAT CONCENTRATION: ORIJEN is made with 70-75% meat ingredients while ACANA has between 40 to 65%, depending on the formula.
    2. AMOUNT OF PROTEIN: ORIJEN diets range between 38% and 42% protein, while ACANA features protein levels of 29-34%.
    3. AMOUNT OF CARBOHYDRATE: ORIJEN diets range from 18-22% of carbohydrate, while ACANA diets are typically in the 28-30% carbohydrate range.
    4. AMOUNT OF FRESH MEAT: ORIJEN is made with 28-33% of fresh meats, compared with ACANA which ranges from 9-15% of fresh meats.
    5. VARIETY OF FRESH MEAT: ORIJEN contains a minimum of 5 fresh meats, compared to ACANA which contains 3 different fresh meat ingredients.

Put simply, we believe ORIJEN is the best dry dog or cat food available worldwide. Although lower in protein and total fresh meat content than ORIJEN, ACANA provides unbeatable value and a price point that makes Biologically Appropriate pet foods accessible to a wide range of pet lovers.Back to Top

Post Thanks / Like

Origen is great stuff! My lot are on the 6 fish version but have been on the standard version before, thy thrive on it. I got a few sample size packets of Acana with an order something totally different ages ago, they prefered the Origen. It's the only food my Cocker will eat all of (he usually leaves quite a bit in the bowl) and they are all doing great on it. Origen is pricey but def worth it. My Cavalier lady has put up some wieght (story of our lives, she's worse than Opera for weight loss and gain ) so I'm mixing Hills Light in with her food at the moment. I have heard plenty of myths about hight protien foods causing kidney probs, hyperactivity and weight gain but having done research I cannot find anything to back any of these calims up. I recommend Origen to everyone now, I used to be a RC advocate but my ways have changed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The lamb and apple formula looks like it would be perfect for India with her allergies! Right now I'm feeding her a venison and millet food, but I would love to be able to switch her protein source fairly often. Almost every food I look at has something in it that she can't eat.

Thanks for posting about this food! I'm going to look into what it would take to become a distributor in Ohio, since it appears it is one of the few states where there is no distributor.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)