• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anybody feed ACANA? Same makers as Orijen...

chloe92us

I just found out that the same producers of Orijen also make Acana, which is a lower protein food. Ollie seems to do better with a lower protein food than my other two. Anyone feed this?

www.championpetfoods.com

I should add that this company produces all of their food in their own factory, NOTHING is outsourced. All ingredients arrive fresh, never frozen. I could go on and on, I love Orijen (and my dogs do too) THIS much.

Here is one of Acana's new grain-free products. It's a lot cheaper than Orijen, and looks like a really good option for a lower protein food for Ollie. I will always use Orijen for my other two.

http://www.heartypet.com/acana-prairie-harvest-grain-free-dog-food.php

Last edited:
I feed my 4 dogs Orijen 6 Fish. They are a Champion Pet Foods is a great company and for the very reasons they listed. I haven't heard of Acana. Thanks for posting about the new dog food.

I would love to try the Acana, but it isn't sold in Ohio. I'll have to figure out how to buy some. Hmmm, I wonder if I could become a distributor?!

My local Orijen supplier doesn't sell it either, but since they're made by the same company, I would imagine they would be able to order it....I'll be calling them tomorrow to find out. I think I pay about $66 for a 30 lb bag of Orijen and this is about $55 a bag. Hey, that's $10/ a month less!

The store where I purchase my Orijen is going to order it in for me- I'll have it in a week! I'll let you know how it is.

Hi, Nicki tried both Orijen and Acana, actually he preferred the second one, for a few months now he has been on Burns , brown rice and fish, it is a holistic food cruelty free made in the UK, so don't know whether is it sold in the US as well, lower in proteins than Acana and so far he has found it tasty

good luck

That's strange - at the one place you can get Orijen and Acana in the UK (Zooplus), the Acana is slightly more expensive!

That's weird! Orijen is their premium brand, and Acana is their medium line brand targeted to those people who want to buy a REALLY good food, but not spend the extra money for the super premium brands. The Acana grain-free line is new, but they have a regular product range that is not grain-free including a mini bites product. I had never heard of them before until I got on the Orijen website to send them a testimonial and discovered their other line of foods.

From their website:
While there are many differences between ACANA and ORIJEN, both diets reflect our belief in “Biologically Appropriateness, and “Fresh Regional Ingredients”.

Five of the main points of difference are summarized below:
  1. MEAT CONCENTRATION: ORIJEN is made with 70-75% meat ingredients while ACANA has between 40 to 65%, depending on the formula.
  2. AMOUNT OF PROTEIN: ORIJEN diets range between 38% and 42% protein, while ACANA features protein levels of 29-34%.
  3. AMOUNT OF CARBOHYDRATE: ORIJEN diets range from 18-22% of carbohydrate, while ACANA diets are typically in the 28-30% carbohydrate range.
  4. AMOUNT OF FRESH MEAT: ORIJEN is made with 28-33% of fresh meats, compared with ACANA which ranges from 9-15% of fresh meats.
  5. VARIETY OF FRESH MEAT: ORIJEN contains a minimum of 5 fresh meats, compared to ACANA which contains 3 different fresh meat ingredients.
Put simply, we believe ORIJEN is the best dry dog or cat food available worldwide. Although lower in protein and total fresh meat content than ORIJEN, ACANA provides unbeatable value and a price point that makes Biologically Appropriate pet foods accessible to a wide range of pet lovers.Back to Top

Origen is great stuff! My lot are on the 6 fish version but have been on the standard version before, thy thrive on it. I got a few sample size packets of Acana with an order something totally different ages ago, they prefered the Origen. It's the only food my Cocker will eat all of (he usually leaves quite a bit in the bowl) and they are all doing great on it. Origen is pricey but def worth it. My Cavalier lady has put up some wieght (story of our lives, she's worse than Opera for weight loss and gain :rolleyes:) so I'm mixing Hills Light in with her food at the moment. I have heard plenty of myths about hight protien foods causing kidney probs, hyperactivity and weight gain but having done research I cannot find anything to back any of these calims up. I recommend Origen to everyone now, I used to be a RC advocate but my ways have changed!

The lamb and apple formula looks like it would be perfect for India with her allergies! Right now I'm feeding her a venison and millet food, but I would love to be able to switch her protein source fairly often. Almost every food I look at has something in it that she can't eat.

Thanks for posting about this food! I'm going to look into what it would take to become a distributor in Ohio, since it appears it is one of the few states where there is no distributor. :confused:

My mom's dog Austin seems to be doing well on the Acana. Mine are on Orijen and doing well although it might be interesting to let them try the different flavors of Acana.

I'm interested to hear how people like it.

I am a big supporter of Champion Pet Foods! :rah:

A month ago, I switched Sophie from Orijen to Acana because Acana has a lower protein content equal to mainstream dog foods without the grains. She doesn't really need all that protein and had absolutely no problems making the switch. It only took two or three days. She seems to be doing well on it. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the protein percentage. Sophie loves it, but she loves ALL her food... and bark mulch ... and brown dry crunchy magnolia tree leaves .... and dead earthworms .... :eek:

You can buy it through Amazon.com. I just did a search to check it out. I think one can buy almost anything from Amazon these days. I got some wonderful baby gates for Sophie from Amazon, much cheaper than Target online and PetSmart web sites and free shipping, too!

Last edited:
I was going to start a post asking if anyone has heard of Acana, but I did a search and found this post :) I just discovered it this weekend - I bought a sample bag for our cats and they went crazy for it! They have been on Orijen for awhile, but I like that Acana has 3 different flavors to choose from, where as Orijen only has 2 for cats...the ingredients seem to be very high quality...has anyone else tried this since the last post?

I have tried it since this post, but I'll have to explain thoroughly...

Okay, I had my supplier special order me a large bag of the Acana Provincial, Prairie Harvest to try. She called to let me know it was in. Went to pick it up, and she had ordered the Cat, instead of the dog formula. Well, I paid for it anyway and took it home. I got online and researched the ingredients on both formulas and they are the same. Only difference is the fat content (cat formula has slightly more fat). So I was still scared to feed it to the dogs, so I called Champion Pet Foods (the maker) and asked if I could feed the cat food to the dogs and she reluctantly said yes. Personally I think it's a marketing thing because the ingredients are literally the same. So I just don't give them the squirt of fish oil on top of their food anymore, which would have added extra fat anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm now on my 2nd bag of the cat formula because I love the small kibble! The dogs really like it and all are doing well on it. I am still sold on Orijen, though, so this time around I am feeding them a 50/50 mix of the Acana Prairie Harvest and Orijen Fresh Fish 6. They LOVE IT. Ollie is getting a 50/50 mix of the Acana and Fromm Surf & turf. Also loving it and doing well.

One of the main reasons I wanted to try the Acana is because it was cheaper than Orijen, but it turns out it is not. It is online, but not from my supplier. But if I order it online, I have to pay shipping...so at that point it's a wash and I'd rather support a local vendor.

Wow, sorry for the long post! :eek:

Hi

I have always thought Orijen a quality food but which one out of that and the new Acana range would be best for Cavs ona permanet diet.:confused:

I would love to try the Acana, but it isn't sold in Ohio. I'll have to figure out how to buy some.

You can buy it through amazon.com. Seems we can buy anything there, these days and they've just bought Zappos shoes, too.:lpy:

Zappos is the BEST! If you haven't ordered from there, the service is PHENOMINAL! You place an order, it could be 8pm one night...you sign up for free standard delivery, which says it will take 5-7 days. The NEXT DAY before NOON, your shoes are sitting on your doorstep!!! EVERY TIME!!! Shipping and returns are free so there is no risk! If you haven't ordered from there, please do. I love, love, love ZAPPOS!!! :lotsaluv:

Brian- I still believe Orijen is better, but Acana may make some people feel more comfortable since the protein is lower. Orijen is 40% protein, Acana is 34% I believe. Some people are scared by the higher protein levels of Orijen. ~Trisha

I bought a bag of the pacific variety last week from zooplus (yes I know I said I'd never yse them again!!) for Cass - Sarky was totaly raw now but Cass sees to do a bit better with 50-50 raw & kibble.

Havent seen any difference in her but she sure loves the taste - & it smells very very fishy!!!

Oh & it was cheaper than orijen on that site too!

Glad that some of you are liking the Acana!! I bought a sample bag of it but I am more interested in the new flavor of Orijen that's out!! :lol: I can't wait until my bag is finished to try it. Someday I will try the acana. I'm interested in the lamb and apple one! :dogwlk:

Back