Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itchy Itchy

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Itchy Itchy

Hi,
    Since about a week after I got Zoe she has been a itchy little puppy. She is flealess, I have switched her food, first eliminated chicken and then wheat and cornmeal. The vet did not think it was allergies because she is so young. Switched to a soapless shampoo as well. Has anyone else dealt with a itchy little puppy with sucess?
    Thanks!
    Osanna and Zoe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Has the vet checked for rabbit mites, skin conditions, etc? If your vet eliminates all other possibilities, and is sure it isn't allergies, make sure s/he knows about syringomyelia, which can affect cavaliers as well as cavalier crosses. Unfortunately while this is unlikely to appear in young puppies, it can; and it is important for anyone with this breed or mix that includes this breed to be fully aware of this condition. Vets will generally know little about it will not know of the high incidence in this particular breed.

www.smcavalier.com

also links at:

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/sh...ad.php?t=21896

Most likely there is some other cause at this age.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I would do is switch her to a grain-free food. It does WONDERS for itchy pets. In my opinion, the corn and rice should have been the first things to go, not the chicken. It may also be something that's environmental that's bothering her; pollen, the grass, etc.

I just got a rescue in (foster) who came in with major itchies and half her fur had been chewed off. ONE WEEK on a grain free food, and it is amazing the difference in her. I can't wait to see her progression.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Trisha,
    May I ask what grain-free brand you are using?

Oops, nevermind I see it is Orijen from another post!
    Last edited by Brenda in SC; 18th June 2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: info requested on another thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quincy was very itchy when we got him at 10 weeks. I started to add fish oil to his food once a day, and he hardly itches at all anymore. Plus his coat looks so healthy and shiny.
    Quincy - tri-color 12/25/08

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks everyone, so to follow up:
    In addition to being itchy Zoe is shedding like a beast, there is hair in every corner of our house (not fun since she sleeps with me!) and the furminater isn't doing much to help.
    Today I went to Petsmart looking for fish oil to try that and ended up being told that I am feeding the wrong food and using the wrong shampoo and so on... Of course they were all things recommended by the petsmart employees. Has anyone used Blue buffalo, and whats better?
    I have thought about the itchy being from SM but I live in a small town so my vet is not experienced in this area at all, therefore I want to try all else before I start looking for a big city vet. (Zoe gets car sick)
    Thanks everyone!
    Osanna

Post Thanks / Like

Blue Buffalo looks pretty good, although their "Wilderness" line is even better! I prefer grain-free foods myself. I think it's a matter of trying different foods as you finish a bag, and then one day you'll find the one that really clicks with your dog. That's what happened with me, anyway.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I used Blue Buffalo for my girls for about a year. I loved it. They did very well with it. They preferred the Chicken/brown rice. I tried the Lamb and the Fish and they turned their nose up to them! I recently started Natural Balance LID (grain free) because I had been told it would help with the tear staining/allergy eye issues that Bella has. So far, I have seen and improvement with her eyes. Although, I believe they prefer the taste of the Blue Buffalo more. I just bought the lower calorie Natural Balance because Bella has to lose 4-5 lbs before her knee surgery! Hopefully she will like it! Good luck with your food search!
    Mom of Bella-Blenheim female born 12-29-07
    Koda, Lilly, Neo, Gizzy,-(dog,cat,birds)
    Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Madison, Brandy, Shayde, Lucas, Abraham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I might actually simply try a different vets for a different opinion as this is really most likely to be something other than SM and youd want to eliminate skin conditions very methodically. Allergies in small puppies are truly not that common.

In my opinion, the corn and rice should have been the first things to go, not the chicken.
    despite the internet chatter about these ingredients, in actual studies these two items actually are not that often the problem for allergies, especially not rice, which is often used as a neutral starch for dogs WITH allergies (which is why I say be very cautious about internet advice! ).

What proteins most frequently cause food allergies?

Ten scientific studies have shown that certain proteins in beef, dairy products and wheat account for two-thirds of the reported cases of cutaneous food allergy in dogs.
    And UC Davis:

The most common proven allergens in the dog are beef, chicken, milk, eggs, corn, wheat, and soy;
    Chicken is also fairly common simply because it is in so many foods.

This is well worth reading on allergies:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=17749

Keep in mind you need to try new diets for 4-6 WEEKS not just a few days or a couple of weeks to do food elimination. It is best to do food elimination with a vet's supervision and guidance especially in a growing puppy which needs specific nutrients in a health diet.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Where is Zoe itching. If its at her ears dont forget to check for ear mights or foreign bodies (like grass seeds) in them.

Mel