• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should I be mad?

Rumor

My Vet is an hour away & very busy so I make the appointment a month in advance. Saturday I was to take all 3 dogs in for yearly exam at 9 in the morning. At 7:30 I get a call saying that the Vet is sick and needs to reschedule for July 18. I still had to get heartworm medicine as I couldn't wait a month. I had to drive all the way down to pick up 1 pill for each dog.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive but she works with rescue & I've always kind of felt like she looks down on me with my Cavaliers. When I went to get the pills there were people with dogs in the waiting room. So now I'm feeling like I was lied to so she could give my spot to her preferred customers.

Should I be mad or just get over it?

I would change vets, im sorry but your dogs are as worthy of quality care as anyones, if it was a case of an emergency and you had to be put off then fair enough, maybe a letter of complaint but you would probably get treated worse. di

I'd be more cross someone phoned me at 7:30am! :slp:

Maybe the vet would be starting late due to being ill and your appointment was cancelled but others were seen or they managed to get cover.

I think a good relationship with your vet is very important, after all, it's usually when we are worried we take our dogs there. If you don't have that rapport you should change vets.

I would be annoyed, but I would say try not to make assumptions about what was going on. It could be that they have an on-call vet from the area (my vet's practice does this) who will come in and handle only the emergency-type appointments and they reschedule the annuals or vaccines appts in such cases.

If you like the vet, stay there. If you don't feel comfortable for other reasons, or if this is a recurring theme, I would switch.

Also, you may want to find a supplier of basic items like flea preventive and heartworm tablets that is closer, or order them online. It's usually cheaper than the vet's office anyway.

Last edited:
I had this happen at christmas time, but I was getting my wisdom teeth out. I had booked the only available time three months in advance and get a call as i'm waking up saying the dr. is sick. took another 4 months to get back in. :( I feel for you

If you aren't happy with your vet, then changing may be the best option. Obviously, things happen that can't be planned for but if it is ongoing (the disatisfaction) looking for another vet could be the best choice for everyone involved.

The one thing I like about this Vet is that she goes with the 3 year Vaccine. Finding a Vet around here that doesn't want to vaccinate your pets every year isn't easy. I've been to 4 different Vets in 3 years. I'm going to give this one the benefit of doubt & keep her for now.

Back