Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time for neutering?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best time for neutering?

Whats the best age to have a puppy neutered? When I first took Charlie to the vets for his vaccination the vet suggested that 7 months was the best age and he's now very nearly 7 months. To me this seems quite early/young but I'm not sure. I've only ever had bitches before and always waited until after their first cycle and I'm not quite sure what time to have a dog done

Post Thanks / Like

Both males and females can be done around 6 months. If you get a bitch done before her first heat it reduces her change of various cancers to nearly nil. Boys can get into bad habbts (eg. marking) if they are not done early, not to mention prostate probs when they get older (if left intact). I have gotten all of mine done at the earliest age possible (both dogs and bitches). 7 months sounds like a perfect time to have him done. With boys, the surgery is reasonabley minor and they heal up quickly (after a day or two they are right as rain again!). Keeping them away from the stitches can be a pain in the bum though!

Post Thanks / Like

Ollie was done @ 6 months.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn on this. Bone growth plate close later than 7 months and hormones may have an important role in this. If (AND ONLY IF!!!) you can keep your dog onlead and under control at all times when he is out, and thus away from unfixed females, 11-14 months may be a better age. If you cannot keep him onlead at all times, and even slip up once, it's a huge mistake and he should be neutered at 7 months. They also do start developing the testosterony male behaviors about this time as well. A final alternative would be a vasectomy now and neuter at 15 months - but still the dog would have to go under twice which is undesirable.

Because of the increased risk of cancer, I would do a female before the first heat.

Post Thanks / Like

My male and female were both done at 6 months. I would suggest doing it now rather than wait- you don't want him to start marking.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Jato View Post
    My male and female were both done at 6 months. I would suggest doing it now rather than wait- you don't want him to start marking.
    Really, I like the fact that my boys can lift their legs outside and not hit their feet or legs. I put things right outside that I know are safe for them to mark.

Post Thanks / Like

My breeder told me to do it as soon as the vet would - The vet would have done it at 5 months but Max was just over six when he had it done. I didn't want to have to deal with marking either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindysmom View Post
    My breeder told me to do it as soon as the vet would - The vet would have done it at 5 months but Max was just over six when he had it done. I didn't want to have to deal with marking either.
    I don't allow anyone to neuter before 6 months, males I prefer 12. I've seen too many siblings of dogs that were done early and had skeletal issues. Osteosarcomas are higher in early neutered dogs. It is a VERY personal decision because there is a health price to BOTH (early and later neutering).

Post Thanks / Like

I thought 5 months was too early AND I thought his testicles hadn't descended (I was wrong - they were descended at his first puppy check apparently - I was just looking for something a bit bigger lol). To be fair my vet also has a a size minimum at 5 months but Max was well over it - I'm not sure if size at neuter has anything to do with the possible skeletal issues. I do suspect that the push for early neutering by vets does have a lot to do with "oops" litters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindysmom View Post
    I thought 5 months was too early AND I thought his testicles hadn't descended (I was wrong - they were descended at his first puppy check apparently - I was just looking for something a bit bigger lol). To be fair my vet also has a a size minimum at 5 months but Max was well over it - I'm not sure if size at neuter has anything to do with the possible skeletal issues. I do suspect that the push for early neutering by vets does have a lot to do with "oops" litters.
    If you have 100% control of you dog(s)-- there is no chance for a Ooops litter. I have intact males and females living together. They are never allowed to roam free (they'd be coyote bait), so I don't worry about my boy getting a neighbors intact females.
    I suspect that some vets push for early spay and neuter because it is a big money maker. The same reason vets are still pushing yearly shots when many vet schools are teaching differently.