Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on changing food

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on changing food

Hi everyone
    Izzie has been suffering from an upset tummy and she has an eye infection and also I have noticed she is itching a lot. I'm being told that I should try her on a grain free diet as this could be allergies. Does anybody have any recommendations for a new diet. She's currently eating Wellness for puppies, but I am really looking into a 'raw' diet. Is this a good thing? I just dont know what to do. I'm worried that if I keep switching her food she's gonna keep getting diarrea. Any help is massively appreciated..

Emma and Izzie

Post Thanks / Like

Origen and Arden Grange are both grain free and excellent foods. I have yet to encounter any bad effects using these foods. I don't feed raw so am afraid I can't give any advice on it. If you are switching though, do it over a reasonable period of time (maybe a week) of gradually reducing the current food and gradually increasing the new food until it's only new food they are eating. If you do this your dog is much less likely to have a dodgy belly.

Have you read the sections of the site about SM? Unfortunatly, scratching is Cavaliers can be caused by this. However, skin irritation, and dodgy tummies, and food allergies (perticularly grain) go hand in hand and if the poor pets skin is itchy all over then grain free is a good plan. Finding one that suits your dog, esp is they are a bit sensitive, can be a bit of a pain in the bum but worth is when your little one is happy and healthy. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Arden Grange does a hypoallgenic food, its great, i feed harley on that and he has never looked so good.

http://www.ardengrange.com/

here is the site, they are very helpful as well. di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have switched my Scooby to part raw part grain free kibble and he is doing very well on it so far.
    You don't say where you are but I am in England and I feed one meal per day raw food (Nature's Menu - which comes frozen) and one meal James Wellbeloved cereal free (comes in Lamb, Turkey or Fish varieties). He also has Manuka Honey and since I switched him he has had no dandruff, no sore skin/hot spots and firm healthy stools.
    I introduced these foods gradually and he has been on them alone with no real variation for about six weeks now. Scooting has become infrequent as has scratching and head shaking.
    I am glad I did it for both of us.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the Arden Grange website and don't see any grain-free foods on the site?

Some grain-free varieties that I've used, and have liked are:

Orijen- all varieties are grain free. This is a FABULOUS food, but expensive. I have fed this for 2 years now and love it.
    Fromm Four Star, Surf & Turf Grain Free
    Acana Provincial Line- I'm trying the "Prairie Harvest" one now. They also have a lamb & fish variety called "Grasslands" that is probably good if your dog is sensitive to Chicken.
    Wellness Core line- all grain free

When you switch to a grain-free high protein food, make the change gradually. Their poops could become more frequent and slightly loose at first but within 2 weeks they are firm and perfect. Well, as perfect as poop can be!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Trisha, the Arden Grange sensitive is grain free - Ocean white fish and potato- I recently bought some for my 'itchy dog' and my 'dodgy poos' dog, and am waiting to use up the food they are currently on before I start this, but I have great hopes that it will help them.
    Charli

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Charli- Thanks for clarifying. You're right, the allergy formula is grain-free. I have to point out, though, that the first ingredient is potato and there is only one source of meat, and it's the second ingredient. I'm a real freak about food, and this doesn't look like it has enough meat content. If you're looking strictly for grain-free this would not be my first choice. Just my opinion!

They should call it "Potato and white fish"
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, firstly can I say a huge thank you to you all for your time in replying to me Its so hard to know what to do for the best as there's soooo much choice out there and deciding on what's best for your puppy is a daunting task!
    I think I have settled on putting Izzie on a part raw, part grain free kibble diet. I've been advised to try to vary her diet slightly, still sticking to the raw but mixing it up a bit so she gets all the vitamins and nutrients she needs. Plus I've been advised to use fish oil too. it comes in a spray can and a couple of squirts per meal will do the trick. Does anybody else use this?
    Also what do you guys think of mixing in some human diet stuff. I've been reading that you can give your dogs raw eggs?? It seems to be important for them to have a high protein diet and not a high carb diet so I am willing to mix it up a bit if that's the case as I want izzie to be on the best diet. I have to agree with Trisha about the potato ratio to meat. I've been reading that potato is not necessarily the best way to go. A lot of kibbles I have looked at are 'potato free' Sorry I'm being a food freak too!!
    Thanks for the brand recommendations, I am going to research them now.

Emma & Izzie

(p.s. we are Brits abroad.. currently residing in rainy new York but originate from the sunny ! U.K.)

Post Thanks / Like

Emma, check out this thread...all about salmon oils. Lots of us use it!

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/sh...ad.php?t=30780

Post Thanks / Like

Also wanted to point out an excellent site for raw or home-cooked. I don't do this (I don't even cook for myself! ) but you'll find some valuable info here.

http://www.monicasegal.com/aboutus/discussions.php

Explore her site and join the list- it's very informative.