Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Worse

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Getting Worse

My beautiful Ruby was diagnosed 2 months ago with SM and even though she didnt show many symptoms i had a gut feeling that she had it.
    Her SM is quite advanced and our neurologist luckily is Clare Rusbridge. We were advised to put her on a diuretic called Zitak which she has been on since and we have Metacam at home which we can give her if she needs it. Only have done 3 times since diagnosis!
    Her symptoms seem to have progressed since but still she shows no pain. Im not sure if it is the heat agrivating her or whether we should think about trying different meds.
    We dont have much time to play around (for want of a better word) with differnet meds as her syrinx is very wide and if it getts much wider could cut of her fluid completely and there for paralyse her!
    Her symptoms have always been the scratching and head rubbing but lately i have noticed that she wont come to me for a cuddle anymore and she never used to sit anywhere but my lap! she flinches when you want to go near her head and she has started nibbling her feet.
    I know that all these things are typical of SM dogs but it devastates me to think that the little time bomb inside my baby girl is ticking away and we arent being more pro active in her treatment.!!!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    thank you
    Karen and Ruby xx

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you and Ruby. I'm so sorry that you both are having to deal with this, its so upsetting. Remember there is lots of support on this forum and lots of information. Take Care

Post Thanks / Like

Is Metacam a pain relief drug? By avoiding things like sitting in your lap, she is telling you she's in pain. If the metacam is for pain, I would start giving it to her. That is what Casey does when she's having a bad spell, she stays in a corner and won't come and sit with us. I up the pain meds when she does it. Good luck- it's hard knowing your baby is hurting.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I would give her the Metacam - it is a pain reliever that has worked wonders for Oliver who suffers from disc problems in his back. Riley, my SM girl, is on Prednisone every day and it is a wonder drug for her. She has advanced and severe SM and had decompression surgery a year ago. Have you talked with Clare about putting Ruby on Gabapentin? Although Riley is not on it, I think most SM dogs are on some dosage of Gabapentin three times a day.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She comes and sits with us but will rarely sit on my lap anymore. She is also suffering with Luxating Patella at the momment which she is on anti inflamatories, cod liver oil and glucosamine with hydrotherapy once a week.
    She is spending alot of time on the hard floor tiles at the momment but that is probably due to the heat at the momment.
    i am always in email contact with Clare who advised us against surgery for the leg and said that Ruby also doesnt need Surgery for the SM either.
    The last time I spoke to her she said just keep with the Zitak if it isnt causing any problems.
    is Gabapentin a Pain releiver or a diuretic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gabapentin is a pain reliever - it is usually very effective for SM pain.

Metacam really needs to build up in the system, so needs to be taken on a daily basis.

So sorry that Ruby isn't doing well - very sad for you.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I don't live with your dog, so I can't say for sure but it sounds like she *may* have pain. All I know is when Casey is having pain, she sleeps on the cold tile floor and doesn't like to jump on the sofa. They tell us in VERY subtle ways.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Metacam worked for my Truman too when he injured his back. It seems to work for a lot of dogs...good luck, I hope she starts to feel better soon
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd let Clare know that her behaviour has changed in this way. She will probably advise getting her on to gabapentin or regularly giving her metacam or some other form of pain relief. What you are describing does indicate that she is in pain. Clare is the proper person to advise on a change of medications.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

I have emailed Clare this evening and we will see what she says. no one knows what time there is remaining. Truly heart breaking, I love her more than anything in the world and wish I could take it away!!