• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting Worse

Karen and Ruby

My beautiful Ruby was diagnosed 2 months ago with SM and even though she didnt show many symptoms i had a gut feeling that she had it.
Her SM is quite advanced and our neurologist luckily is Clare Rusbridge. We were advised to put her on a diuretic called Zitak which she has been on since and we have Metacam at home which we can give her if she needs it. Only have done 3 times since diagnosis!
Her symptoms seem to have progressed since but still she shows no pain. Im not sure if it is the heat agrivating her or whether we should think about trying different meds.
We dont have much time to play around (for want of a better word) with differnet meds as her syrinx is very wide and if it getts much wider could cut of her fluid completely and there for paralyse her!
Her symptoms have always been the scratching and head rubbing but lately i have noticed that she wont come to me for a cuddle anymore and she never used to sit anywhere but my lap! she flinches when you want to go near her head and she has started nibbling her feet.
I know that all these things are typical of SM dogs but it devastates me to think that the little time bomb inside my baby girl is ticking away and we arent being more pro active in her treatment.!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
thank you
Karen and Ruby xx

My heart goes out to you and Ruby. I'm so sorry that you both are having to deal with this, its so upsetting. Remember there is lots of support on this forum and lots of information. Take Care:hug:

Is Metacam a pain relief drug? By avoiding things like sitting in your lap, she is telling you she's in pain. If the metacam is for pain, I would start giving it to her. That is what Casey does when she's having a bad spell, she stays in a corner and won't come and sit with us. I up the pain meds when she does it. Good luck- it's hard knowing your baby is hurting. :hug:

I would give her the Metacam - it is a pain reliever that has worked wonders for Oliver who suffers from disc problems in his back. Riley, my SM girl, is on Prednisone every day and it is a wonder drug for her. She has advanced and severe SM and had decompression surgery a year ago. Have you talked with Clare about putting Ruby on Gabapentin? Although Riley is not on it, I think most SM dogs are on some dosage of Gabapentin three times a day.

She comes and sits with us but will rarely sit on my lap anymore. She is also suffering with Luxating Patella at the momment which she is on anti inflamatories, cod liver oil and glucosamine with hydrotherapy once a week.
She is spending alot of time on the hard floor tiles at the momment but that is probably due to the heat at the momment.
i am always in email contact with Clare who advised us against surgery for the leg and said that Ruby also doesnt need Surgery for the SM either.
The last time I spoke to her she said just keep with the Zitak if it isnt causing any problems.
is Gabapentin a Pain releiver or a diuretic?

Gabapentin is a pain reliever - it is usually very effective for SM pain.

Metacam really needs to build up in the system, so needs to be taken on a daily basis.

So sorry that Ruby isn't doing well - very sad for you.

I don't live with your dog, so I can't say for sure but it sounds like she *may* have pain. All I know is when Casey is having pain, she sleeps on the cold tile floor and doesn't like to jump on the sofa. They tell us in VERY subtle ways.

Metacam worked for my Truman too when he injured his back. It seems to work for a lot of dogs...good luck, I hope she starts to feel better soon :flwr:

I'd let Clare know that her behaviour has changed in this way. She will probably advise getting her on to gabapentin or regularly giving her metacam or some other form of pain relief. What you are describing does indicate that she is in pain. Clare is the proper person to advise on a change of medications. :flwr:

I have emailed Clare this evening and we will see what she says. no one knows what time there is remaining. Truly heart breaking, I love her more than anything in the world and wish I could take it away!!

I'm so sorry you are going through this. :hug: Like others have said, Gabapentin is probably the way to go. It's a well tolerated drug and works wonders. Hope you hear back from Claire soon. Keep us posted.

Truly heart breaking, I love her more than anything in the world and wish I could take it away!!

I don't know how many times I have wished this for our beautiful little girl too, I too feel the same. :flwr::flwr:
Clare is also our neurologist. We recently added cimetidine to her other meds and we have seen quite an improvement.

Hopefully, you will hear back from Clare soon.:flwr:

Just wanted to let you know that I am praying hard for little Ruby and all the other fur babies who are affected by this accursed SM.

I hope Clare can prescribe something to alleviate the discomfort for Ruby.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I have taken Nickis advice as I didnt realise that Metacam needed time to build up in the system to have effect so I have been giving her the dose recommended every day while we wait to hear from Clare.
Hopefully i may see a difference in the next few days.

Thankyou again for all of your prayers and wishesxx

Karen and Ruby xx:hug:

Not yet no, she is normally very quick with getting back to me so I may mail her again.
Ruby has been on the Metacam on a more frequent basis over the last four days and she seems a little bit better what is concerning me more at the momment is her behaviour- she is becoming more and more anxious and skittish lately and the only thing I can put it down to is that she is picking up on my energy. I am sooo worried for her and I am constantly wondering if she is ok all the time. I think it is making her worse but I just cant stop feeling this way. She got bitten by a dog a few days back and its just because she thinks so low of herself that she is easy pickings.
I know that 'what will be will be' but I love her sooo much that I cant help still feeling very upset about it. I dont think I will ever come to terms with this...

im so sorry youre going thro this, we all know exactly how you feel:( She is lucky to have you taking such good care of her & if she could im sure your Ruby would thank you.You may feel youll not come to terms with it but you will cope,one day at a time:) Probably like everyone else my days are good or bad depending on how my Ruby is.
I hope you get a reply from Clare soon, good luck:hug:

We have heard back from Clare at last and she has written as follows:

[content deleted by admin: because this was private correspondence and you'd need permission from the sender to post it :thmbsup]

So there we are going to book an appoitment for tuesday and hopefully get started on the new meds suggested![/COLOR]

Karen and Ruby xxxxxx

That's great news; let us know how you get on. :) I hope the new mix of medications will be helpful.

I removed the content of Clare Rusbridge's message as it was specifically directed to you and really Clare's permission would be needed to post the entire contents.

Back