• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

anesthesia for SM dogs

Love my Cavaliers

Riley has SM and had surgery last year. She is due to have her teeth cleaned soon but I am nervous about the anesthesia due to the SM, especially since she still has some mild hydrocephalus. She is seeing her neurologist early next month and I will ask him about it, but I was just wondering what experiences others have had with teeth cleaning after a diagnosis of SM. Thanks.

I don't think you have any worries. A lot of SM dogs go in for repeat MRIs under GA, for example, and I've never heard a neurologist warn against GA in general. Leo is due a teeth cleaning too, soon. I'd just be sure your vet doing the cleaning knows about her surgery etc and handles her head gently.

I havent had any experience myself but I was faced with the same dilema. We were told 2 weeks ago that Ruby had Luxating Patella that would be more beneficial if it was operated on ASAP however our vet was unsure about anaesthetic and the SM and told me to email our neurologist Clare.
When I asked clare she said that there wasnt any risk but she did advise us against the surgery for other reasons.
However being that Riley has had decompression surgery I would definatly get a 2nd opinion as that may make a difference.
Hope all goes well!!

Back