• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone know if Prilactone is same as Spironolactone

kaytee576

Hi sorry to bother you all, I would ring my vet but it is closed today, I will do so tomorrow but in the mean time I was wondering does anyone know is Prilactone the same as spironolactone?
My cavalier kaytee was given Prilactone and the vet says its to help with her high blood pressure, I can only find it saying its for the heart nothing about blood pressure so I need to ring up and get the drug explained to me better, but the reason im asking as I saw a few things online saying Spironolactone can cause tumors in animals. As you can imagine this scared me.
Thanks so much for reading xxx

Yes it is the same drug - have a look on Noah compendium

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Prilactone_tablets_for_dogs/-46361.html

Unfortunately every drug has side effects and possible problems and your vet will have kept this in mind when prescribing. It's a balancing act - between possible problems and the clinical need for the drug.

If you do have concerns, please telephone your vet - but if you haven't already, do get your dog to a cardiologist - you really need a cardiologist's expertise to manage MVD effectively.

Back