• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

RIP Sweet Julie

Lani

My sister's Lhasa Apso Julie (AKA "Jewels") passed away this afternoon at about 1:30.

We'd just stopped by a friends apartment after taking her in her stroller for a walk along the river. When we got inside, we put her on the floor, she twitched a bit and then she was gone. Very quiet and peaceful ... she enjoyed a beautiful morning by the river and was surrounded by people who loved her.

Julie had cancer and was 15.5 years old. Julie was our mom's dog and when my mom was no longer well enough to take care of Julie, a relative agreed to take care of her. Unfortunately, Julie suffered horribly in their care and was infested with fleas and had lost half her hair. We found about how bad it was two years ago when the relative said it was time to put Julie to sleep and we asked our Aunt to go and rescue her. Our aunt has been involved in rescue for many years and said she had never seen a case of neglect as bad as Julies.

Here are a few pictures of sweet Julie:

After she was rescued by our aunt. Her hair is shaved here. She looks sad, but much better than when she was initially rescued:

julie072907a.jpg

Two days after arriving to live with Lynn in NYC:
juliecruise2.jpg

Last spring at the park:
P4205768.jpg

With Lucky and her brother Razz (pic by Winning Image)
L2669inv8741.jpg

This spring, with me and her the boys at the river:
LB084144.jpg

Just two weeks ago, strolling along the same river in her stroller:
1246126008.jpg

RIP Sweet Angel dog. *ng*l

:cry*ing:
Oh I am so sorry to hear about Julie. I have enjoyed and will remember the pictures of her, Sparky, Lucky and Razz.

Thinking of you and your sister at this sad time :hug:.

Rest now sweet angel :flwr::flwr::flwr:

Last edited:
I've read in a couple of places about Julie's passing with almost a dry eye (I'm just so glad she passed so quickly and peacefully and relieved Lynn of the duty of taking her to the vet's office) but you did me in Lani with the pictures. As long as I live I will never forget Julie. Her pictures of how she came to you all are forever burned into my mind of what a whole lot of TLC can do for a dog. I always think of her as the little miracle girl. She was such a pitiful little wreck and blossomed into such a little beauty. The picture of her with Lucky and Razz really shows how beautiful she was. Rest well little Jewels, I'm glad you were so loved. We should all be so blessed.

Im so sorry for you & your sisters loss:hug:& glad jewels went peacefully with those who loved her
RIP Jewels gorgeous girl,free from pain now

Bless her I'm pleased for your sister that Julie went peacefully and saved her from having to make that horrid decision.

It sounds like her last day was perfect - a wonderful memory to treasure.

A very special wee girl - who suffered so much and recovered to become a perfect little lady.

We are thinking of you all.

Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful photos and for reminding us all of Julie's story. It is also a reminder to all of us to make arrangements before we die for someone to provide a home for our pets and to make certain the person(s) we select are willing and give them the love and care we would want. Sometimes, if family is not available, then the best is to find a good quality rescue group to be in charge of finding them a new family. No shame in that.

Hugs to you and your sister!

Sweet dreams, Julie. She was a very beautiful dog, and I was really touched to read her story. I send you all the warmest thoughts and hugs. :hug:

Lynn:hug: Lani :hug:I'm soooo sorry to read this :(

I remember when Lynn made the trip to collect Julie and everyone was waiting anxiously for updates . I'm so sorry you didn't get to have more time with her. You gave her such a wonderful life with Razz and the Luckmeister and Sparky. I know your heart is breaking right now and I wish I could say something to make it better :hug:

Sleep tight Jewels :lotsaluv:

Julie was such a sweet girl, and she had a wonderful life with Lynn, his brothers Razz, and cousins Lucky and Sparky.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Big hug.

Oh, poor Jules. That story made me cry! I've enjoyed seeing pics of her on the board, and I'm so glad she went so peacefully and had been taken such good care of in her last year. RIP.

Thank you all for your kind words about Julie. It means a lot and it does still hurt thinking of losing her, but I know that in the end the happy memories will win out. Our vet sent a really sweet condolence card today which was really nice.

Bless her I'm pleased for your sister that Julie went peacefully and saved her from having to make that horrid decision.

It sounds like her last day was perfect - a wonderful memory to treasure.

We actually had an appointment to have Julie put to sleep on Monday night ... of course we were dreading it, because you always second guess if the timing is right . After all the misery poor Julie had before we got her we really did not want her to suffer any more, but we also didn't want to end her life prematurely.

I guess the loss of a pet is never easy, but I do think it was easier this way and at least she was comfortable and she did have a lovely last day.

Thank you all again for your comforting words and thoughts about Julie.

Last edited:
Back