• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

skin allergy

lisa wood

Hope someone can help, I am new to this forum and would like some advice. I have a 3yr old Cav, only had him 6 days,found out he suffers with allergies the vets are gonna give me steriods for him, but he does tend to scratch himself quite often usually when hes not got something taking his mind of the irratation, and he is going quite red also seen him licking his private bits till there red too. is there any suitable creams or shampoos i could use on him until we actually get to what causing his allergies, the previous owner did mention it could be grass allergies, but i believe it can take a while to sort these kind of allergies. any advice would be much appreciated.:xfngr:

Be sure to check for food allergies as well. A mild oatmeal shampoo sometimes helps with skin.

Be sure that both you and your vet are also aware of syringomyelia (SM) as this causes scratching and is often misdiagnosed for allergies; there's a high rate of incidence in the breed, unfortunately. Several of us (including me) have cavaliers with this afflication and scratching is one of the most common of the possible symptoms:

www.smcavalier.com

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=21896

Hopefully you will find this is a manageable allergy but when no specific cause can be found, it's a good idea to investigate SM as a possibility.

PS some of the treatments vets give for allergies will also ease symptoms of SM causing the dog to continue with a misdiagnosis.

Thanks for the advice,

I have put Toby on James Wellbeloved lamb and rice. Has the last owner had him on Bakers.
I will try some some shampoo with oatmeal. How often should i actually bath him.? has i don't want to over do it.
Has for the SM i will mention it to my vets when I go, I have just read about SM and I dont like the sound of it, It would be easier to get that problem ruled out then at least Id know its not something as serious.

Thankyou very much and I will keep you posted.

I also have skin allergy problems with my Jake. We have tried everything...and I do mean EVERYTHING!! It drives me crazy. I've tried various antihistamines (and they work...for a while), food elimination diets, no itch spray, sulfa derm tab, fish oil....and on and on. This past weekend I bathed him with BioGroom oatmeal shampoo and either I'm crazy (always a possibility :eek:) or the scratching has decreased. I'm optimistically hopeful that this shampoo is going to be what helps. And I've tried numerous soothing no-itch shampoos. One thing is to be sure when you bathe you get all of the shampoo off. If you think you've rinsed enough....rinse one more time.

Hi Cathy, thanks for the reply. Your cavs are very cute. Im gonna go and buy some shampoo containing oatmeal and see if that helps, you may have read Toby has only been with my family 6 days so i dont know whats been tried if any or how long all i know the previous owners said he had allergies. So im gonna try what i can maybe it is something that one day may just go away but i suppose its one of those things keep trying different things until hopefully we get results.

Hope to speak to you again Lisa and Toby

Hi there! Our cavalier doesn't have allergies but our last golden and this one ( to a lesser extent ) have them. Also watch out for allergy to soap! Our last golden had to have a soapless shampoo. For our current golden the vet prescribed benadryl. You would have to ask vet for correct dose.

Also we ended up getting the last golden tested for allergies and gave her allergy shots. It wasn't cheap but much less expensive than two to three a month visits to the vets for infections.She also required steroids and frequent baths.

Hope that you have a simple case of food allergies.

Heather R

HI Heather thanks for the advice, Im going back to vets next week with Toby, im gonna mention all these things to her.

Back