• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tobys haircut

lisa wood

Hi Ive had Toby 6 days, only to have to take him to the groomers to see what they could do with his coat , it wasn't in the best condition and they said they really had to clip it all off, he now looks like a different dog, he probably feels better for it., but ive been looking at all these beautiful:) pics of cavs on this forum and so want him to have a lovely coat, but im unsure how long it will take to grow and what it will be like when it does grow back. :( anybody else had to do the same?

Last edited:
icon_welcome
Hi Lisa,
Saw your other post about how Toby came to be with you. Kudos to you for searching out a resource of knowledge & support for your new family member.

Altho I too would love for my Rudy to have that long lustrous show coat that many cavs have, comfort for his situation during hot humid months make it impractical for me this time of year to even ATTEMPT it. Our temps hover around 95-100 degrees F and he normally loves being outside. I opted to trim him up a bit and he's much more comfortable. I was feeling really guilty about it til I noticed a lot of our board members pictures were showing their dogs sporting shorter looks too. I think it's up to the owner - and given your circumstances, don't give it another worry! Toby is lucky to have you!!:snap:Looking forward to lots of pics!

Hi Ive had Toby 6 days, only to have to take him to the groomers to see what they could do with his coat , it wasn't in the best condition and they said they really had to clip it all off, he now looks like a different dog, he probably feels better for it., but ive been looking at all these beautiful:) pics of cavs on this forum and so want him to have a lovely coat, but im unsure how long it will take to grow and what it will be like when it does grow back. :( anybody else had to do the same?

I've had George cut right back several times. Only got him done recently and while it takes a bit of time to start growing, once it does it's back in no time. He's so sleek and soft and cuddly!! I absolutely love him with it short!! :)

hi Brenda, thanks for the reply, year I do feel abit guilty about having Tobys coat short, i just didn't want it has short has it is, never mind it will grow. it just makes him look like a puppy,
Your Cavs must feel abit cooler with there coats short so yes for that reason its a good idea.

I will get some pics of Toby on the forum asap. and I look forward to speaking to you again Lisa and Toby x :)

I've had George cut right back several times. Only got him done recently and while it takes a bit of time to start growing, once it does it's back in no time. He's so sleek and soft and cuddly!! I absolutely love him with it short!! :)

Hi george, your really cute. Hi georges owner, thanks for the reply its nice to know that its not just my cav with a short coat. Im beginning to feel much better now, thanks Lisa and Toby(y)

Riley's entire head, neck and ears were shaved to the skin last June for decompression surgery for SM. When it started growing back, she looked like a half-shorn lamb because the rest of her coat was still very full. By August her fur had grown back enough to really cover all the shaved parts so she didn't look quite as weird and in another 2-3 months I had the rest of her trimmed so that she was all one length. A year later, her coat is the same as it was before surgery - the texture did not change. Still soft as ever and not cottony.

we had to get poppy cut mainly just her ears were clippered right down as she was so notty when we got her & still does not like the brush, (i am grooming her with a baby brush at the moment just so she gets used to it) she is growing back nicely.

we had to get poppy cut mainly just her ears were clippered right down as she was so notty when we got her & still does not like the brush, (i am grooming her with a baby brush at the moment just so she gets used to it) she is growing back nicely.

Aww, somethings could be helped if the last owners of our cavs actually looked after them abit better. thanks for the reply Lisa and Toby

Riley's entire head, neck and ears were shaved to the skin last June for decompression surgery for SM. When it started growing back, she looked like a half-shorn lamb because the rest of her coat was still very full. By August her fur had grown back enough to really cover all the shaved parts so she didn't look quite as weird and in another 2-3 months I had the rest of her trimmed so that she was all one length. A year later, her coat is the same as it was before surgery - the texture did not change. Still soft as ever and not cottony.

Thanks for the reply.

I hope Toby grows back with a nice silky coat. Ive been told it can grow back a different texture and may be curly, hmmm. :xfngr:

Back