Thread: Restless pup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Restless pup

Ever since we got Andre at 8 weeks old, he has fidgeted a lot when trying to sleep. He seems to NEVER be able to get into a comfortable position. He'll plop down on a corner of the couch, get up 5 seconds later, try a different position.... and on and on. Every so often he'll let out a frustrated whine. Throughout the night, it's the same thing. He sleeps on my bed with me and I think he probably gets up and tries out a new position every half hour. At first I wasn't alarmed, but now it's gotten to the point where I'm getting concerned. He turned 16 weeks yesterday.

Is this normal behavior?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No I'm sorry to say that does not sound normal to me.

Has he been checked over by a vet? I would want to get him to a vet immediately.

Tiny puppies jerk and move a lot in their sleep - developing their muscles and neural functions; but by about 5 weeks they sleep soundly, but do dream - as do most adults, where they may paddle their legs and even bark {quietly!}.

If he is actually physically moving about like that, then in my opinion something is causing him discomfort or even pain - is the whine frustration or could it be pain?

I would also recommend you read the sections on Syringomyelia, a very prevalent condition in this breed - it's unusual for such a young puppy to be showing symptoms, but restlessness like this is one of the symptoms.

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/ also talk to your vet about this - many are still not aware of the condition.

Please keep us posted.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly what my boy does, moving every few seconds, if he is having a bad night, he has SM. It may be due to him seeking a cooler spot though and it has been hot at night. I would do as Nicki suggests and read all you can about SM.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I hope its not sm but even though its unusual for a pup that young it is entirely possible. I know somebody a hour from me that her baby had surgery at 9 months and it had shown symptoms for either 4 or 5 months. Keep us posted.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess