• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Restless pup

newshoes

Ever since we got Andre at 8 weeks old, he has fidgeted a lot when trying to sleep. He seems to NEVER be able to get into a comfortable position. He'll plop down on a corner of the couch, get up 5 seconds later, try a different position.... and on and on. Every so often he'll let out a frustrated whine. Throughout the night, it's the same thing. He sleeps on my bed with me and I think he probably gets up and tries out a new position every half hour. At first I wasn't alarmed, but now it's gotten to the point where I'm getting concerned. He turned 16 weeks yesterday.

Is this normal behavior?

No I'm sorry to say that does not sound normal to me.

Has he been checked over by a vet? I would want to get him to a vet immediately.

Tiny puppies jerk and move a lot in their sleep - developing their muscles and neural functions; but by about 5 weeks they sleep soundly, but do dream - as do most adults, where they may paddle their legs and even bark {quietly!}.

If he is actually physically moving about like that, then in my opinion something is causing him discomfort or even pain - is the whine frustration or could it be pain?

I would also recommend you read the sections on Syringomyelia, a very prevalent condition in this breed - it's unusual for such a young puppy to be showing symptoms, but restlessness like this is one of the symptoms.

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/ also talk to your vet about this - many are still not aware of the condition.

Please keep us posted.

This is exactly what my boy does, moving every few seconds, if he is having a bad night, he has SM. It may be due to him seeking a cooler spot though and it has been hot at night. I would do as Nicki suggests and read all you can about SM.

I hope its not sm but even though its unusual for a pup that young it is entirely possible. I know somebody a hour from me that her baby had surgery at 9 months and it had shown symptoms for either 4 or 5 months. Keep us posted.

Back