• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just a word of warning re. worming tablets and allergies

pippa

Hi everyone, just wanted to tell you what happened to me yesterday.

This is a bit gross:eek: So be warned if you've just eaten!

I wormed Pippin with his usual drontal tablet last night(although it's now flavoured). This morning he went out to poo and came in covered in it! He has had to have all his feathering on his back legs cut and his bum hair cut off it was stinking and green.

Hubby didn't notice and brought him up to me in bed. So off came all the bed clothes and I was standing in my pj's at 7 am washing and cutting Pippin's hair.
Poor thing didn't know what was going on.

I know he has a severe allergy to chicken and no-one would ever give him any so I straight away suspected the wormer. I read the leaflet but it doesn't say what flavour they've added.

I just got off the phone to Bayer who told me it is indeed chicken flavour:(

She said she will have a word with whoever deals with the product and suggest they put this information on the pack.

I would not have thought a flavour would affect him this much...but a tiny minute piece of chicken can give him severe runny poos for a week or so.

He hasn't gone again so fingers crossed it's passed.

Can't believe it wasn't stated on the pack or inside info what the flavour was
and they don't have non flavoured anymore so I have to find another wormer now and milbimax doesn't agree with him or Gus.

I wormed DJ and Gus earlier in the month with the new drontal and they were both fine.

OMG Poor Pippin! (& you too - what are husbands like hey??????:bang:)

Thats mental - if that were a human product it would have to have it written on it wouldnt it.

Yikes, Hope your bedding survives the hot wash:shock:.
The main thing is that Pippin is ok now. All our little housedogs have their mishaps,but what on earth was hubby thinking of? What a good idea to call the manufacturer,obviously someone was wide awake in your house today:p
Sins

Poor Pippin & Poor you!!

Glad you called them.

I hope they change that packaging soon to spare other dog owners with allergic dogs the hassle of washing sheets in the middle of the night & shaving their dogs. :eek:

poor Pipin.

i hope she makes a speedy recovery.

talking of worming, I have been informed by a friend who visited his vet that there is a large out-break of heart worm in the Hampshire,Berkshire and Wiltshire area. This is a really nasty worm and is normally fatal to dogs.

Hello,

We have had the exact same problem with our tri - Rio.

He has a very bad allergy to chicken and always has done, and everytime we have given him his drontal tablet ground down with just a little peanut butter mixed in, it causes him severe diahorrea the next day! :(

We've now changed his worming tablet

It's how you also described stool wise, gloopy and green the way he was last week.

He was also on medication for colitis very recently.

Thankfully it was only a one day thing. I was really annoyed to find out that the new flavouring was chicken and this was not stated on the leaflet (I think any new ingredient added should have been stated on the information leaflet and/or the pack)

At least it didn't develop into something else as in the past chicken would have caused him a severe bout of colitis, and thankfully the flavouring only caused him a one off episode!

I do hope they take my telephone call seriously and consider putting out the info.

Hi pippa

So sorry to read about your dreadful event and how bad of a company like Bayer not to put on the packet they contained chicken but glad all was OK in the end apart from of course the end product .I wormed my three with drontal and fronlined them a week before we went on hols but fortunately no reaction to either ,though my biggest worry as we where out in the country was ticks so every night there was a thorough comb and brush to check them and also to remove all the grass seeds and associated bits and bobs that get stuck in their fur.:)

Back