Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Eggs

Hi

Did I read somewhere thats its beneficial to feed an occasional egg ,if it is which part do I feed all of it ,the white only ,or just the yolk .
    I do remember when I had a GSD I often used to beat up a whole egg and mix it into her food but with our Cavaliers I am not too sure .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

The occasional egg is good- all of it, even the shell~ IF you grind it up VERY fine. You can serve it raw or boiled.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think raw egg is a good idea because of Salmonella. I wouldn't want to take the chance, you could have a very sick dog on your hands.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine love a soft boiled egg {only if you can get it from a safe source, otherwise hard boil it} - they also love scrambled egg {no seasoning or milk, just a dash of water added}.

A mortar and pestle is great for grinding up the shell
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I eat raw eggs (in cake & brownie mix!)
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chloe92us View Post
    I eat raw eggs (in cake & brownie mix!)
    Oh yeah, so do I, forgot about that!!! As I've said on previous occasions, if only I practiced what I preach!!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

My two have a raw egg each as part of their breakfast at least once a week - they're great for their coats. I seem to remember reading somewhere that salmonella doesn't infect dogs in the same way as humans - our digestive systems and metabolisms are different - after all, I can eat raisins without getting kidney failure!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs can and do get salmonella, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I eat cookie dough and all that jazz as well.

But! Avidin in raw egg white binds biotin which is an essential nutrient. Best to cook the egg first

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall a case where a dog has gotten salmonella from raw food - from dog foods, yes, but not from raw food.

That being said - giving them raw eggs is GREAT for their health and coat. However, I would be wary of giving them eggs more than once a day (as in - one egg per day). If you can, you can grind up the shell and give it to them as a powder. That's good for them as well.
    My babes: Chardonnay B/T Female(or "Puppy" Spring 2007); RCF's Vin du noir et blanc TRI Male(or "Titus" March 18, 2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Mine get a raw free rand or organic egg about twice a week & ive never had a problem with it. Personaly I wont give my dogs cheap 'value' typre eggs as I believe (rightly or wrongly) that these eggs come from hens that may have been given antibiotics or other drugs - which if you cook the egg they go but may still be present in raw eggs - but like I say thats my oersonal choice. (so me & hubby eat the value ones & the dogs get the expensive ones !!!!!!)

Brian the only think I would say is that eggs are quite high in calories so if Poppy's still on her diet I wouldnt give her too many of them.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge