• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eggs

Brian M

Hi

Did I read somewhere thats its beneficial to feed an occasional egg ,if it is which part do I feed all of it ,the white only ,or just the yolk .:confused:
I do remember when I had a GSD I often used to beat up a whole egg and mix it into her food but with our Cavaliers I am not too sure .

The occasional egg is good- all of it, even the shell~ IF you grind it up VERY fine. You can serve it raw or boiled.

I don't think raw egg is a good idea because of Salmonella. I wouldn't want to take the chance, you could have a very sick dog on your hands.

Mine love a soft boiled egg {only if you can get it from a safe source, otherwise hard boil it} - they also love scrambled egg {no seasoning or milk, just a dash of water added}.

A mortar and pestle is great for grinding up the shell

My two have a raw egg each as part of their breakfast at least once a week - they're great for their coats. I seem to remember reading somewhere that salmonella doesn't infect dogs in the same way as humans - our digestive systems and metabolisms are different - after all, I can eat raisins without getting kidney failure!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Dogs can and do get salmonella, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I eat cookie dough and all that jazz as well.

But! Avidin in raw egg white binds biotin which is an essential nutrient. Best to cook the egg first :)

I can't recall a case where a dog has gotten salmonella from raw food - from dog foods, yes, but not from raw food.

That being said - giving them raw eggs is GREAT for their health and coat. However, I would be wary of giving them eggs more than once a day (as in - one egg per day). If you can, you can grind up the shell and give it to them as a powder. That's good for them as well.

Mine get a raw free rand or organic egg about twice a week & ive never had a problem with it. Personaly I wont give my dogs cheap 'value' typre eggs as I believe (rightly or wrongly) that these eggs come from hens that may have been given antibiotics or other drugs - which if you cook the egg they go but may still be present in raw eggs - but like I say thats my oersonal choice. (so me & hubby eat the value ones & the dogs get the expensive ones !!!!!!)

Brian the only think I would say is that eggs are quite high in calories so if Poppy's still on her diet I wouldnt give her too many of them.

I feed free range eggs - Sainsburys do a good value box of 15 free range, which are a bit cheaper because they're different sizes mixed together - I don't think Oliver and Aled mind that! They have them once or twice a week.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I've never fed my guys eggs ... mostly because they have such sensitive tummies.

That said, our Julie who just passed away had an egg mixed with her kibble every morning for breakfast when she lived with my mom. She loved them and my mom loved making her so happy. She lived to 15.5, so I'm thinking the eggs didn't hurt her in the slightest. :)

Hi Sonia

You read my thoughts yes pops is on a permanent diet so none for her ,but do we consider than a beaten egg each without the shell once a week is OK then.

Thanks for the good advice once again.:)

Back