Thread: Why your dog needs a lifejacket...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why your dog needs a lifejacket...

Well here goes my horror story...

I took my 1.5 year old ruby swimming this last Friday. I took the day off from work and went in the morning to a nearby lake that I knew would be mostly deserted because it was a weekday. We played fetch in the water for awhile with his bumper - no one in sight.

Then a huge black lab runs out of the woods behind me as my ruby is going after the bumper. The lab proceeds to swim OVER my dog!

I could see my boy got hit pretty hard and was submerged completely in muddy lake water. Luckily he was wearing a life jacket and popped right back up to the surface where I was able to grab him. He was dazed when I pulled him out, I don't know if he would have been able to pull himself up.

The labs owner came running after him. The lab was dragging a leash he pulled through the owners hands as she was getting him out of the car. She apologized a thousand times, but it was just an accident - he wanted to go swimming too!

Moral of the story - if you dog is going to swim BUY A LIFE JACKET

Post Thanks / Like

How scary, I'm glad he's okay...and good advice!
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice, I hope your boy is ok now.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow that is a scary accident -- so glad he is OK and good suggestion for those of us with swimmers in the house! A life jacket is especially important for boating dogs. I've seen very handy ones with handles that allow someone to easily pull a dog up out of the water.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another good reason to buy the life jacket. Hope your little guy is okay now.