• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why your dog needs a lifejacket...

asherotter31

Well here goes my horror story...

I took my 1.5 year old ruby swimming this last Friday. I took the day off from work and went in the morning to a nearby lake that I knew would be mostly deserted because it was a weekday. We played fetch in the water for awhile with his bumper - no one in sight.

Then a huge black lab runs out of the woods behind me as my ruby is going after the bumper. The lab proceeds to swim OVER my dog!

I could see my boy got hit pretty hard and was submerged completely in muddy lake water. Luckily he was wearing a life jacket and popped right back up to the surface where I was able to grab him. He was dazed when I pulled him out, I don't know if he would have been able to pull himself up.

The labs owner came running after him. The lab was dragging a leash he pulled through the owners hands as she was getting him out of the car. She apologized a thousand times, but it was just an accident - he wanted to go swimming too!

Moral of the story - if you dog is going to swim BUY A LIFE JACKET

Wow that is a scary accident -- so glad he is OK and good suggestion for those of us with swimmers in the house! A life jacket is especially important for boating dogs. I've seen very handy ones with handles that allow someone to easily pull a dog up out of the water.

Back