Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The longest your cav is left alone for?

Post Thanks / Like

Default The longest your cav is left alone for?

So can I just ask whats the longest your little cavalier gets left alone?
    My Charlie is almost 8 months now and the longest is about 6 hours and thats only one day a week.
    I've read a lot that this breed shouldn't be left alone for long periods but just wondered how longs everyone's is left for on average.
    So does anybody work long hours or just leave them alone occasionally for a a full day once in a while?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    With my three I suppose they are lucky as my wife doesnt work so at the most its say 1 1/2 hours one morning a week while she pops to Asda or Sainsbury ,but I can imagine the fun they would have if they went with her charging up and down all those long wide aisles sfter each other.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think Charlie would know what to eat first if he ever found himself in a supermarket!

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I bring my dogs with me to work. But when I have a foster dog (like right now) it becomes more difficult, so they stay at home most of the time. However, my office is just down the street from my house so I go over a couple times a day to let them use the bathroom and play outside for a while. However, when they come to work with me, they are alone about 1 hour a day. On the weekends, we usually go out on the boat on Sundays and they are alone for pretty much the whole day (like 6 hours).
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I have part time work so Jasper is not left for long periods normally, the most he is left which is very occasionally is about 4 hrs at weekends or if we have days out when it`s not possible for him to come, as a breed they don`t like being left alone much although I do find as Jasper has got older he does like a bit of quiet time on his own.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I both work and so Lucky is alone for about 4 hours at a time. On occasion, he has been left for longer....6 or 7 hours. (He's 14 months old). He does just fine....sleeps in his kennel and when we get home he's ready to go! In a great mood to play and romp around the yard! He's been staying alone since he was a pup and he's always done just fine. He is a very independent boy though.....I imagine that it is different for everyone....

Post Thanks / Like

I try to keep it to no longer than 6 hrs. I'm home most of the time but do pop in and out often for a few hours. On Christmas they are alone for close to 8 hrs. -- we're always the first to head for home.
    Joan
    Casey 9 yr. Tri, Alfie 1 yr. Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

So far, the longest Sophie is left alone is for 6 to 7 hours, once or twice a week when I go play golf or do volunteer work. She's only eight months old, and has had this schedule since we brought her home at fifteen weeks of age.

Whenever we've been gone for the day, Sophie gets LOTS of "lap time" and attention after we return home, or before we leave.

I think the problems arise, for Cavaliers, when one works a full-time job and is gone from the home ten hours a day, five days a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Occasionally I have to go to a work meeting lasting all day - normally I work from home - and if I can't find someone to have my dogs they have had to stay shut in all day, for anything up to 8 hours. But all my Cavaliers have been brilliant - they just switch off and go to sleep. No noise, no eating or drinking, no chewing in boredom. I think that normally having lots of company and attention helps them to handle the occasional shut-in days.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is bad, but we left Charlie for 5 hours once when we had to go to a funeral, he was happy as larry when we got back though, such a good boy didn't poo or wee
    Charlie 17/07/03