• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The longest your cav is left alone for?

dyrojo

So can I just ask whats the longest your little cavalier gets left alone?
My Charlie is almost 8 months now and the longest is about 6 hours and thats only one day a week.
I've read a lot that this breed shouldn't be left alone for long periods but just wondered how longs everyone's is left for on average.
So does anybody work long hours or just leave them alone occasionally for a a full day once in a while?
Thanks

Hi
With my three I suppose they are lucky as my wife doesnt work so at the most its say 1 1/2 hours one morning a week while she pops to Asda or Sainsbury ,but I can imagine the fun they would have if they went with her charging up and down all those long wide aisles sfter each other.:) :):)

Normally I bring my dogs with me to work. But when I have a foster dog (like right now) it becomes more difficult, so they stay at home most of the time. However, my office is just down the street from my house so I go over a couple times a day to let them use the bathroom and play outside for a while. However, when they come to work with me, they are alone about 1 hour a day. On the weekends, we usually go out on the boat on Sundays and they are alone for pretty much the whole day (like 6 hours).

I have part time work so Jasper is not left for long periods normally, the most he is left which is very occasionally is about 4 hrs at weekends or if we have days out when it`s not possible for him to come, as a breed they don`t like being left alone much although I do find as Jasper has got older he does like a bit of quiet time on his own.

My husband and I both work and so Lucky is alone for about 4 hours at a time. On occasion, he has been left for longer....6 or 7 hours. (He's 14 months old). He does just fine....sleeps in his kennel and when we get home he's ready to go! In a great mood to play and romp around the yard! He's been staying alone since he was a pup and he's always done just fine. He is a very independent boy though.....I imagine that it is different for everyone....

I try to keep it to no longer than 6 hrs. I'm home most of the time but do pop in and out often for a few hours. On Christmas they are alone for close to 8 hrs. -- we're always the first to head for home. :)

So far, the longest Sophie is left alone is for 6 to 7 hours, once or twice a week when I go play golf or do volunteer work. She's only eight months old, and has had this schedule since we brought her home at fifteen weeks of age.

Whenever we've been gone for the day, Sophie gets LOTS of "lap time" and attention after we return home, or before we leave.

I think the problems arise, for Cavaliers, when one works a full-time job and is gone from the home ten hours a day, five days a week.

Occasionally I have to go to a work meeting lasting all day - normally I work from home - and if I can't find someone to have my dogs they have had to stay shut in all day, for anything up to 8 hours. But all my Cavaliers have been brilliant - they just switch off and go to sleep. No noise, no eating or drinking, no chewing in boredom. I think that normally having lots of company and attention helps them to handle the occasional shut-in days.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I know this is bad, but we left Charlie for 5 hours once when we had to go to a funeral, he was happy as larry when we got back though, such a good boy didn't poo or wee :)

I leave my two alone for 4 or 5 house the odd time, otherwise just an hour while I run to the shop or collect Matt from school etc. They used to go mad when they were younger, barking when we left but they would settle down. Now we close the blinds and they just go into their bed and sleep. They dont mind at all because they know we are coming back to them. I love them to bits but sometimes you want to see a film or do some shopping, if they would behave in the cinema I would being them ha ha!! If they have a long walk in the morn and we are going out in the afternoon all they do is sleep which is great.

leave puppy crated or in kitchen for 4 hrs?

Hi
To leave a puppy for 4 hours would you leave him locked in his crate...forcing him to hold it and risking a bed accident..or do you put him in the kitchen where he will surely pee when he needs to if he doesn't see anyone there...or i can put a pen around his crate w/ a newspaper or pad for him to step out and pee on...but does that ruin the housetraining?
Right now..he usually doesn't sleep for more than 2-3 hours and then really wants to come out and pee usually..but if no one is home...maybe he'll go back to sleep..

My puppy is 4 months old..and I when i go back to work soon I have several people who are available to come over during the middle of the day.....but ...over the next 6 months or so..i'm sure there will be days where I can't get anyone. I could come home for lunch for 20 minutes if i had to....but that's about it...i work 30 minutes away.

Last September-October we went to Europe for almost 4 weeks and left two dogs in the house. Of course they were checked a couple times daily. I have always felt especially with Abbey and her having seizures which she usually has when she is stressed and being in a crate somewhere she would be having them. I have never done that to her and never will. They were fine. I love my babies like my kids but you have to have some fun in your life.

Hi
To leave a puppy for 4 hours would you leave him locked in his crate...forcing him to hold it and risking a bed accident..or do you put him in the kitchen where he will surely pee when he needs to if he doesn't see anyone there...or i can put a pen around his crate w/ a newspaper or pad for him to step out and pee on...but does that ruin the housetraining?
Right now..he usually doesn't sleep for more than 2-3 hours and then really wants to come out and pee usually..but if no one is home...maybe he'll go back to sleep..

My puppy is 4 months old..and I when i go back to work soon I have several people who are available to come over during the middle of the day.....but ...over the next 6 months or so..i'm sure there will be days where I can't get anyone. I could come home for lunch for 20 minutes if i had to....but that's about it...i work 30 minutes away.

I would suggest using a Pen and put a puppy pad in the corner furthest away from his bedding and preferably in a plastic box of some kind. Much like a litter box for a cat. Anna is really good at 5 months about being left for long periods of time, but I always try to keep it as short as possible.

Down stairs I have her kennel inside an xpen and with a bit of food and water in side the pen. She will just go and lay down inside there when she is tired so it is really nice.

Most of the time we do pretty well because my boyfriend works opposite shifts so usually one of us is home, but when Zoe was about 5 months old he took a last minute vacation and I was working and going to school. I had to leave her alone for up to 15 hours a day (not in a row). I closed up all the doors to bedrooms so she had less of the house plus we have a doggy door into a secure backyard and Riley to keep her company and she did really well, although she went from sticking to me like elmers glue to sticking to me like super glue. I think we were both relieved when he got home. We did have an accident where we were both gone overnight and she pulled all of the stuffing out of a couch cushion but that was a extreme for her. Otherwise, the few times she has been alone for longer periods of time she has been great, as long as she has clean water and chew toys and a way to potty if it's going to be more than a few hours.
-Osanna and Zoe (y)

I am a stay at home mom, so usually I am in and out many times throughout the day. The longest I will leave Lucy and Charlie in their crate is 6 hours and by then they are really ready to get out, so I try not to do this very often. They are both litter box trained so their box is in the crate with them if they need to go potty. However, Lucy will hold it until I get home even though she could use the box if she wanted to. Charlie, on the other hand, is still a puppy so he will definitely go if he needs to. If I have to be out longer than 6 hours then I have my mother (who lives down the street) let the dogs out sometime during the day for at least 30 minutes to an hour. I always feel guilty leaving them for too long. I could definitely leave Lucy out to roam in the house and she would be totally fine, but I made the mistake of leaving Charlie Brown out once and when I came home the carpet on the stairs was chewed, some baskets were eaten and he had used many surfaces as his personal bathroom even though the rest of the time he is "potty trained". Obviously, he isn't ready for that level of freedom yet and he is much happier with Lucy in the crate too, so for now Lucy has to hang out with him. She doesn't really mind though, she likes the crate and gets a cookie for going in there.

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and hate to have to ask my Mum to pop in on Dylan, twice. I'll be out all day and my kids are coming too so they can't look after Dylan this time. Usually my daughter is really good and stays in if I won't be there. He has to have his Gagbapentin pill at 4pm and his dinner. He has the roam of the lounge and has water there. He'll sleep most of the day or watch TV. I don't fully trust anyone to look after my boy the way I do so I will be stressed tomorrow!

On other occasions I might leave Dylan in the evening when he usually doses anyway for 4 hours.

Back