Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feed multiple pups?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you feed multiple pups?

When I brought Alfie home I began feeding him and Casey on opposite sides of the kitchen. This worked well for about 6 mo. Lately, however, Casey barely looks as his bowl. He waits (if I'm not watching) till Alfie takes a mouthful and then proceeds to eat from Alfie's bowl. Alfie doesn't mind--he just goes over and eats from Casey's bowl. The problem is that Casey is older and eats alot slower, so Alfie eats more than he should, and Casey eats less than he should. I've been handling this by standing in the middle of the kitchen with my hands on my hips like I mean business. This works--they stay at their own bowls.
    Joan
    Casey 9 yr. Tri, Alfie 1 yr. Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

If not different rooms, one goes in a crate. I figure the dogs don't need to worry about someone stealing their food. I like to know if one isn't eating etc....

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a problem standing & waiting, try seperate rooms.

i watch my three for several reasons,

1. 2 of them are much bigger than poppy & i dont want any incidents.

2. i like to know how much each are eating

3. poppy is the pincher in our house & unless supervised would pinch thors food!

Post Thanks / Like

Abigail goes out into the hall and the other three are fed in the kitchen with me in between them
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

I fold out my pen into 3 and they all get fed in their own little section..if I didn't Pippin(the smallest!) would eat the others food, or at least try to. DJ would probably let him, but Gus would put up a fight and then all hell would break loose.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Crates are probably the easiest. My dogs finish their meals in about 3 minutes maximum so I just watch them when they are being fed, with plenty of space between them, or use crates.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I feed mine on opposite sides of the kitchen too. I have to stand near Jato and help him guard his bowl because Zoey eats so fast and then runs over to him and will try to eat his too. He would just let her , so I have wait there while he SLOWLY munches away.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like

My two are fed a few feet apart I stand in the middle dinner time in our house lasts minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    My dogs finish their meals in about 3 minutes maximum
    Your gang are such slow eaters I can get off the sofa, dish up, let them eat, get Jasmine to pee and get back to the sofa in those 3 minutes
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are all fed in the kitchen, a few feet apart. One of them eats like lightning while one another eats very slowly (chews every single piece) so they do need to be watched. When the quick one is done we life her bowl and she jsut sits staring at the others eating. She doesn't go for their food unless they lift their heads away from it or walk away, we have to be quick to lift the bowl so that she doesn't get any. The others do tend to speed up when she is lurking so they are finished soon after.

Crating or feeding in seperate rooms could be the answer to any probs at feeding times. There is no food aggression (where these tend to be only options) so perhaps continuing with feeding them a good bit apart and watching them could work. It really does depend on the dog, some could feel threatened while others just walk away.