• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mindy's surgery

Mindysmom

Mindy's lumpectomy surgery is tomorrow. Since the lumps don't bother her I hope I'm doing the right thing by having them removed.

Are this lipomas (fatty lumps?). Jaspar was diagnosed with one as well. Vets differ in advice on these -- one of my vets said the only way to be sure they are benign is to biopsy them, but that they are very common. She said she herself would tend not to remove them unless the dog was under GA for something else, or of course if they begin to change in any way. But it is persona; choice. A lot of vets would automatically remove and biopsy them, so I think the right choice is whatever you and your vet are comfortable with and feel should be done.

My vet removed a fatty lump from Lucky when he was under for his dental. Is it time for Mindy to get a dental?

My vet has also done a needle aspiration when I originally noticed the lump and was pretty certain at that time that it was benign but said if we have him under for something else (like a dental) that it would make sense to just remove it then. I was a little surprised Lucky had one so young ... he's only 3. I thought these usually were impacting older dogs.

Lucky had a very good recovery from his surgery by the way. We had it done 2.5 weeks ago, and the stitches came out Monday, hair is already starting to grow back. The incision healed great.

I'm sure the surgery will go well. Good luck!!

Unfortunately they aren't fatty lumps. She does have a fatty lump on her belly that we have been watching for a couple of years. They make take that out if they have time as it's getting a bit bigger but they aren't too concerned. The best I can describe them as are lumps (in her neck) and one under her chin (that's the one that bothers her). Two different vets have recommended that they be removed. I know they are concerned that they are cancer due to the suspicious shape (to me they are just little lumps). I hemmed and hawed a lot about putting her through the surgery because she is 11 1/2 but she has no murmur so the vets aren't at all concerned about the anesthetic (unlike me!)

I'd appreciate it if you could have a thought for her today. I am really hoping these lumps are benign but I also know that she is getting older.

Poor Max - I asked hubby to feed him breakfast this morning while Mindy lounged around in my bed watching me get dressed (as per usual). Hubby said Max ate about three bites and left his crate and went over to where Mindy eats and looked at her empty spot. He finally went back to his crate, finished his breakfast and came out and stared at hubby as if to say "something isn't right".

Such a worrying time for you all and I do hope you will have better news very soon.

Meanwhile there will be lots of us on here keeping everything crossed for Mindy - the "old 'uns" are so very precious and such a worry when things go wrong :xfngr:

Do let us know how she gets on. Warm thoughts, Marie-Anne + 4 :paw:

Well all I can say is thank you guys. I took Mindy in at 8 a.m. this morning. Keep in mind the lump had been there for awhile prior to having the vet check it. The first vet aspirated them (he found another) and suggested removal but to think about it. A month later she saw a different vet for her checkup and he also felt them and advised removal. The surgery was scheduled for today.

THIS MORNING MINDY HAS NO LUMPS! The one at least had been there for at least a few months. Two vets had seen her and it was in her chart. We searched for 10 minutes this morning and the vet tech even shaved a small spot and we could see where the first vet had aspirated. I can't explain it and who knows - they might come back but right now I'm over the moon:mexwav::jmp2:

They were going to do a dental at the same time but I decided just to take her home with me and give her breakfast:D

Back