Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many trips to the vets!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too many trips to the vets!

I feel like we have been backwards and forwards to the vets too many times this year already!
    So far this year -
    In April Bob wouldn't go up the stairs, so trip to the vets to be diagnosed with a possible slipped disc - 4 weeks of 2x5min walks.
    May - go back just to make sure he's ok, mention flapping ears and scratching back leg, get given ear drops as his ears are a bit dirty. (this cleared symptoms up as I was thinking the dreaded sm!)
    June - back again because he's being 'funny' about his bottom, compacted anal glands - antibiotics.
    July, a dog in the park bit him through the lip on the Sunday by the Monday morning it's hot and puffy so off to the vets again, more antibiotics.
    Well this morning we went out for a walk, had just got out of the car and we're walking across the park when he kind of got under my feet (I don't think I actually touched him), he went and yapped and then proceeded to hold his back right leg up, won't put it down, I picked him up to have a look (he will act like this if he gets something in his trousers), nothing seems wrong... put him back down he's screaming again, so guess where we ended up again! The vet can't find anything wrong with him, checked his hips, knee, back, looked/felt between his paws, can't feel anything wrong and no reaction from him but he was still holding his leg up. So he has had a 24hr painkiller injection and if not better by Monday may require an xray. He's curled up with me resting now, still not putting any weight on the leg but not holding it up as high as he was. He looks so sorry for himself.
    My dog when I was a child only visited the vet a few times in her whole life!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a few months like that the beginning of last year with my old boy Leo, he had a bad heart & the last few mons spent a lot of time in & out of the vets - thankfully this year ive been to the vet twice - both for vaccinations & thats it - hoping it will stay that way his year!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yes vet visits can get costly and frustrating!

Just wanted to note though that a couple of the things you mention can be prevented by some basic 'maintenance' -- eg keeping ears clean and healthy, and emptying anal glands regularly if needed. You can learn from your vet to do both these things or a good professional groomer will generally clean ears and empty anal glands.

In dogs with hanging heavy ears like cavaliers, there's always a higher risk of ear infections so it is worth getting the dog in once or twice a year to the vet for inspection and cleaning. Be sure to get advice on cleaning as the wrong method will shove dirt further in and case more problems, or could even damage or puncture the ear drum. In general you want to probably get one of the medical ear rinses that you can use on a regular basis as advised by your vet, for prevention.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

after having two of mine at the vets in past week i have decided to put a little by to cover the inital consultaion at least!

they are all three insured, but Thor was there end of last week for check up as he is generally off and not himself! and poor poppy strained her rear leg yesterday so had a visit & is on minimal walks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replys, glad I'm not the only one! I know I'm right to take him to the vets but I sometimes feel like an overconcerned mother! - not that the vet or anyone is making me feel like that, it's just me!

Hi Karlin, I have ear cleaning stuff from the vet which I use when needed, I don't know if it was the stress or something to do with his back/no walkies but his ears seemed to all of a sudden get mucky.
    He is at the vets probably twice a year for his anal glands (I don't mind paying!) but this time was different, he wasn't bum dragging just very much not wanting me to brush his back end! So it was obviously too sore to drag!
    He's still not putting his leg down but will keep following me, so I sat in the doorway of the dining room to read the paper last night as he seemed to like it there (think it was the coolest part of the house!)

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think we've been to the vets once this year, Charlie never gets anything wrong with him, he only goes for check-ups. We went before because he had something stuck in his ear, and that was it i think. In the last 6 years we have had Charlie we've only been to the vets a few times
    Charlie 17/07/03

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did the vet check thoroughly for ear mites? When you suddenly get a lot of dark matter in the ear this is often the cause. Sometimes they will miss a mite diagnosis if they are not looking carefully enough. There is stuff you can put in from vet to break up gunk compacting inside ear and can also get this flushed by the vet. Ear mites are very common but the diagnosis can be mixed when they are well down inside.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Spells of going to the Vet often, I think, happen to most of us one time or another. Last year I was beginning to wonder if I had some version of canine Munchausen Syndrome by proxy and then everything got calm and months went by without a problem. I love the word "sorted" because I think that's what happened to my doggy group's health needs. Of course, even as I say that I will be taking my Golden in for a big check this week-some thing not right with her .
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

"canine Munchausen Syndrome by proxy " That's exactly what it feels like! Thank you for making me laugh!

Well Bob is still not putting weight on his leg so he saw a different vet today, went through the feeling his hip, knee and foot again, still no pain reaction from Bob but the vet thought he could feel some grinding in his hip, so the vet said that possibly he's dislocated his hip or maybe it's arthritis. So he's in for xrays tomorrow at 9.00 to find out what's going on. I'm worried about leaving him, last time he was left (when he was neutered at 8 months) he barked himself hoarse. And then there's the worry of what they will find....

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add, ever since Bob has been limping he has mainly be lying on his left side him but this afternoon he was lying frog style (legs out behind him). I seem to remember being told this was sign of good hips and if he's hurt his hip would he have this range of movement?
    He's still limping so maybe it's me wishfull thinking!