• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Too many trips to the vets!

Redkite

I feel like we have been backwards and forwards to the vets too many times this year already!
So far this year -
In April Bob wouldn't go up the stairs, so trip to the vets to be diagnosed with a possible slipped disc - 4 weeks of 2x5min walks.
May - go back just to make sure he's ok, mention flapping ears and scratching back leg, get given ear drops as his ears are a bit dirty. (this cleared symptoms up as I was thinking the dreaded sm!)
June - back again because he's being 'funny' about his bottom, compacted anal glands - antibiotics.
July, a dog in the park bit him through the lip on the Sunday by the Monday morning it's hot and puffy so off to the vets again, more antibiotics.
Well this morning we went out for a walk, had just got out of the car and we're walking across the park when he kind of got under my feet (I don't think I actually touched him), he went and yapped and then proceeded to hold his back right leg up, won't put it down, I picked him up to have a look (he will act like this if he gets something in his trousers), nothing seems wrong... put him back down he's screaming again, so guess where we ended up again! The vet can't find anything wrong with him, checked his hips, knee, back, looked/felt between his paws, can't feel anything wrong and no reaction from him but he was still holding his leg up. So he has had a 24hr painkiller injection and if not better by Monday may require an xray. He's curled up with me resting now, still not putting any weight on the leg but not holding it up as high as he was. He looks so sorry for himself.
My dog when I was a child only visited the vet a few times in her whole life!

I had a few months like that the beginning of last year with my old boy Leo, he had a bad heart & the last few mons spent a lot of time in & out of the vets - thankfully this year ive been to the vet twice - both for vaccinations & thats it - hoping it will stay that way his year!

yes vet visits can get costly and frustrating!

Just wanted to note though that a couple of the things you mention can be prevented by some basic 'maintenance' -- eg keeping ears clean and healthy, and emptying anal glands regularly if needed. You can learn from your vet to do both these things or a good professional groomer will generally clean ears and empty anal glands.

In dogs with hanging heavy ears like cavaliers, there's always a higher risk of ear infections so it is worth getting the dog in once or twice a year to the vet for inspection and cleaning. Be sure to get advice on cleaning as the wrong method will shove dirt further in and case more problems, or could even damage or puncture the ear drum. In general you want to probably get one of the medical ear rinses that you can use on a regular basis as advised by your vet, for prevention.

after having two of mine at the vets in past week i have decided to put a little by to cover the inital consultaion at least!

they are all three insured, but Thor was there end of last week for check up as he is generally off and not himself! and poor poppy strained her rear leg yesterday so had a visit & is on minimal walks!

Thank you for your replys, glad I'm not the only one! I know I'm right to take him to the vets but I sometimes feel like an overconcerned mother! - not that the vet or anyone is making me feel like that, it's just me!

Hi Karlin, I have ear cleaning stuff from the vet which I use when needed, I don't know if it was the stress or something to do with his back/no walkies but his ears seemed to all of a sudden get mucky.
He is at the vets probably twice a year for his anal glands (I don't mind paying!) but this time was different, he wasn't bum dragging just very much not wanting me to brush his back end! So it was obviously too sore to drag!
He's still not putting his leg down but will keep following me, so I sat in the doorway of the dining room to read the paper last night as he seemed to like it there (think it was the coolest part of the house!)

I dont think we've been to the vets once this year, Charlie never gets anything wrong with him, he only goes for check-ups. We went before because he had something stuck in his ear, and that was it i think. In the last 6 years we have had Charlie we've only been to the vets a few times :)

Did the vet check thoroughly for ear mites? When you suddenly get a lot of dark matter in the ear this is often the cause. Sometimes they will miss a mite diagnosis if they are not looking carefully enough. There is stuff you can put in from vet to break up gunk compacting inside ear and can also get this flushed by the vet. Ear mites are very common but the diagnosis can be mixed when they are well down inside.

Spells of going to the Vet often, I think, happen to most of us one time or another. Last year I was beginning to wonder if I had some version of canine Munchausen Syndrome by proxy :eek: and then everything got calm and months went by without a problem. I love the word "sorted" because I think that's what happened to my doggy group's health needs. Of course, even as I say that I will be taking my Golden in for a big check this week-some thing not right with her icon_nwunsure.

"canine Munchausen Syndrome by proxy :eek:" That's exactly what it feels like! Thank you for making me laugh!

Well Bob is still not putting weight on his leg so he saw a different vet today, went through the feeling his hip, knee and foot again, still no pain reaction from Bob but the vet thought he could feel some grinding in his hip, so the vet said that possibly he's dislocated his hip or maybe it's arthritis. So he's in for xrays tomorrow at 9.00 to find out what's going on. I'm worried about leaving him, last time he was left (when he was neutered at 8 months) he barked himself hoarse. And then there's the worry of what they will find....

Forgot to add, ever since Bob has been limping he has mainly be lying on his left side him but this afternoon he was lying frog style (legs out behind him). I seem to remember being told this was sign of good hips and if he's hurt his hip would he have this range of movement?
He's still limping so maybe it's me wishfull thinking!

Hi,
He has a broken metatarsal (one of the middle bones in his foot). The vet has no idea how he has managed this! There was no swelling so he said it took him a while to find it on the xrays! He' 'special' my Bob! So he's now bandaged up to the top of his thigh. He's come home tired and cuddly!
We've got to keep him on strict rest for 4 weeks, and no getting the bandage wet or dirty (any tips? I think I may have to buy some large food bags as I know he'll get upset if it rustled). Back next week to be rebandaged.
I've also learnt to keep him on the lead in the garden after the first experience of 'toilets'!

God strick rest for 4 weeks, good luck with that:):)
Seriously though, i feel i should have my own chair in my vets, i only have Poppy since Easter and i think i have been to the vet on average once per week since we got her. I'll be expecting a xmas card:)

Bless her! I've just been reading your post, I'm glad she's on the mend!
Bob is being very chilled today! long may it continue, although I think it's probably because of his busy day yesterday!
I've started clicker training him (with his two meals,) to lie on his side and relax as he's got to have his bandage changed next week and the vet said if he won't keep still they may have to sedate him, which I would prefer not to happen. It's such a hard life for him reclining in his bed to be hand fed his dinner!!:)

Clicker training is a great idea! :) Also doing some other clicker work with him will help tire him out even when he can't do a lot of exercise, because it is good thinking work for them.

Yes, he enjoys it too! I'm going to have to reduce his food too as he's used to two good walks a day.
I'm going to have to think of other tricks / ideas which don't involve moving around. Ideas welcome!

Wow I'm glad I'm not alone..(i mean that in the nicest way :) ) I have been to the vets sooooo many times with Izzie, bless her. I think we're living alongside your experience Redkite

Izzies had scratched eyes.. twice! swallowed a penny and an open staple (whilst in the company of someone else) and had several visits with problems with an upset tummy!
We were just out in Los Angeles where I was working for a few weeks and they all knew her at the emergency vets within oh, the first week. In fact I still have $200 credit there ha!

AND...NOW.. 2 days ago she started limping. Its not too severe but its enough for me to be worried as I love her so much. I've just checked her nails and I've checked her knee, leg and hip. She's not squealing or baulking while I touch her, but I'm not a vet so god only knows what's going on. I think its a trip back to the vet tomorrow!!

Izzie just looks up at me with her big eyes and I say ok ok back to see that lovely man at the vets again! I swear she loves it there!

(Hope your pup is making a good recovery Redkite)

To keep Bob's bandage clean, you can try putting a baby sock over the dreesing and tape it up top. We had to do that with our German Shepherd when she tore a nail off since she would just rip the bandage off. Since she was quite a bit bigger than a cavalier, we used my 5 year daughter's sock, but for Bob I would think a baby sock would work. Does he like being in the crate? That's probably the best thing to use for enforced rest. Good luck. Poor baby!

Hi Love my cavaliers, Ow! tearing a nail of sounds sore!
We're 'playing vets' before he goes out and when he comes in from going toilets! He lies on his side (well actually he likes to lie like a frog so I have to guide him with a treat but he's getting there!) and I then put on a food bag followed by my husbands sock, followed by another food bag and a sock and then my daughters scrunchy (hairband). The sock on top is because he gets a bit spooked by the noise of the bag and it also protects the bag from getting holes! It's been raining here (UK) it being the summer.... I'll admit to humming the stripping song when we take it all off again! Not sure how that would go down at the vets though!
He's got to have the cast replaced on Tuesday so this is all good practice!

Back