Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many trips to the vets!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi how did you get on with x-rays today,any news?
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    He has a broken metatarsal (one of the middle bones in his foot). The vet has no idea how he has managed this! There was no swelling so he said it took him a while to find it on the xrays! He' 'special' my Bob! So he's now bandaged up to the top of his thigh. He's come home tired and cuddly!
    We've got to keep him on strict rest for 4 weeks, and no getting the bandage wet or dirty (any tips? I think I may have to buy some large food bags as I know he'll get upset if it rustled). Back next week to be rebandaged.
    I've also learnt to keep him on the lead in the garden after the first experience of 'toilets'!

Post Thanks / Like

God strick rest for 4 weeks, good luck with that
    Seriously though, i feel i should have my own chair in my vets, i only have Poppy since Easter and i think i have been to the vet on average once per week since we got her. I'll be expecting a xmas card

Post Thanks / Like

Bless her! I've just been reading your post, I'm glad she's on the mend!
    Bob is being very chilled today! long may it continue, although I think it's probably because of his busy day yesterday!
    I've started clicker training him (with his two meals,) to lie on his side and relax as he's got to have his bandage changed next week and the vet said if he won't keep still they may have to sedate him, which I would prefer not to happen. It's such a hard life for him reclining in his bed to be hand fed his dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Clicker training is a great idea! Also doing some other clicker work with him will help tire him out even when he can't do a lot of exercise, because it is good thinking work for them.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he enjoys it too! I'm going to have to reduce his food too as he's used to two good walks a day.
    I'm going to have to think of other tricks / ideas which don't involve moving around. Ideas welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive just ordered one of the "brain games" for the girls on a wet/boring day if that helps

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...ce_games/72374

Oh scrap that-he would probably need to be standing up to use his nose to get the treats-sorry x
    Last edited by tupup; 29th July 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: stupidity!
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I'm glad I'm not alone..(i mean that in the nicest way ) I have been to the vets sooooo many times with Izzie, bless her. I think we're living alongside your experience Redkite

Izzies had scratched eyes.. twice! swallowed a penny and an open staple (whilst in the company of someone else) and had several visits with problems with an upset tummy!
    We were just out in Los Angeles where I was working for a few weeks and they all knew her at the emergency vets within oh, the first week. In fact I still have $200 credit there ha!

AND...NOW.. 2 days ago she started limping. Its not too severe but its enough for me to be worried as I love her so much. I've just checked her nails and I've checked her knee, leg and hip. She's not squealing or baulking while I touch her, but I'm not a vet so god only knows what's going on. I think its a trip back to the vet tomorrow!!

Izzie just looks up at me with her big eyes and I say ok ok back to see that lovely man at the vets again! I swear she loves it there!

(Hope your pup is making a good recovery Redkite)

Post Thanks / Like

To keep Bob's bandage clean, you can try putting a baby sock over the dreesing and tape it up top. We had to do that with our German Shepherd when she tore a nail off since she would just rip the bandage off. Since she was quite a bit bigger than a cavalier, we used my 5 year daughter's sock, but for Bob I would think a baby sock would work. Does he like being in the crate? That's probably the best thing to use for enforced rest. Good luck. Poor baby!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Love my cavaliers, Ow! tearing a nail of sounds sore!
    We're 'playing vets' before he goes out and when he comes in from going toilets! He lies on his side (well actually he likes to lie like a frog so I have to guide him with a treat but he's getting there!) and I then put on a food bag followed by my husbands sock, followed by another food bag and a sock and then my daughters scrunchy (hairband). The sock on top is because he gets a bit spooked by the noise of the bag and it also protects the bag from getting holes! It's been raining here (UK) it being the summer.... I'll admit to humming the stripping song when we take it all off again! Not sure how that would go down at the vets though!
    He's got to have the cast replaced on Tuesday so this is all good practice!