• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chrissie's accident!!

george108

I just can't believe this is happening. Just before 8.00am this morning and we heard a massive bang in the hallway. My oh ran out and found Chrissie lying in the hallway beside the cabinet not moving but whimpering. From the position she was in we can only gather that she was running and crashed into it. She eventually started to move a bit so I gently lifted her onto the bed and sat with her. My oh was ringing the vet for some advice when Chrissie's whole body stretched out and went completely rigid. It terrified the like out of me but I mangaged to stay calm and spoke to her quietly. I was convinced she was going to have a seizure and die. We jumped into the car and went to the emergency vet. He was fantastic and did all the specific tests to check for any injury. She got a steroid shot and he felt happy enough to send her home but told us to closely monitor her. She's just had a small bit of food and seems to be fine. Don't know how we're going to stop her slipping and sliding on the tiles/floor. All of this is on top of her allergies, a full day of vomiting and the possibility of a neurological problem. We have her just over 3 weeks and she's been to the vet 6 times!!! (George has been once for sore eyes and has to go back in 10 days). We absolutely adore her but my oh is not working and the vets bills are piling up!!! I'm just hoping everything settles down.

BTW we're doing dome crate training with her for night time but I'm worried that with the sliding issue, this is something that could happen again at any time.

So sorry to read that you are going through all this with Chrissie, hope things settle down for all of you soon, don`t know what to suggest about slipping on tiles and floor, is your whole house like this? maybe confine her to a small space at the moment and keep a close eye on her, easier said than done.

ive no advice for you about your floors but wanted to say im sorry to hear this, poor girl & poor you, i hope she is ok & that things get easier for you:hug:

Thanks guys. Jasperpaw the living room has wooden floors, hall, kitchen, utility and toilet are tiled. Bedrooms have carpet. It's a bungalow so it's easy enough to discover where she is! :) She's just so lively. Everything she does she does with so much energy. George on the otherhand just moseys around. Hoping to get through even a few days without a trip to the vet! :)

Maybe you could put mats near dooways so she an get her footing better? I also trim the bottom of Sparkys feet as he has a tendancy to slide on our wooden floors too!!

Hope Chrissie's feeling better!:)

Really sorry to hear this.

I think you are going to need to put down carpet or rugs or runners or that plastic mat walkway stuff to keep her from sliding around -- tiles in particular are very slippery. Also get her to a groomers and get them to trim out all the hair between her footpads (this should always be done for the bottom of cavalier feet to prevent slipping). Most of us end up making changes to our homes to accommodate animals -- and the more that are there, the more accommodations, generally! :) ) Some of the changes I made with the arrival of the dogs: I have area rugs and carpeted my stairs to prevent slipping accidents (stairs especially a risk); cover most sofas/chairs with throws and am resigned to cats clawing one of my armchairs at this point :rolleyes: . And to remain sane, I own three Dysons (two large cannisters and a handheld) to deal with hair overload. The only tiled/floored areas of the house without something under their feet (carpet or area rugs) is the kitchen and bathroom and hall, all small and not where they can run around anyway. I will never have exactly the house I'd like in appearance but have exactly the house I like in terms of dogs and cats. (y)

I think perhaps the issues you are having with poor Chrissie may be why she went to rescue, and why perhaps the rescue had her for so long. Have you gone back to discuss this politely but firmly with the rescue? Some sadly are less than forthcoming on health issues and real age (both here and in the UK where I know of specific examples :mad:) which I think is ethically wrong. They may well also have acted in very good faith but especially in such a case, I would inform them of the problems you are having (I always want to know what is going on with dogs I've homed and sometimes it is very helpful for me in dealing with the original source for the dog). I will say it would be quite unusual for a rescue to have had a youngish cavalier (anything under 6) for any length of time awaiting a home, unless there is some sort of issue -- health or behaviour. Not saying anything untoward happened but I would be suspicious in the context in which this dog was in rescue for some time, re-available after a homing, and that the original family were not interested in getting her back -- this would make me guess that some or all knew she was having some signs of potentially expensive health issues.

I hope you can get to the bottom of the various things going on but I would definitely address the problem of slippery floors by covering them at least partially to give the dogs safe and solid footing in every room they have access to.

So sorry to hear about poor Chrissie. I hope she is better today and you can get her health problems under control.

When I had wood floors installed, I bought cheap rugs in Lidl and then I found these in Ikea . They are really cheap and so easy to move around and clean. I put one at the bottom of the stairs and several scattered in the hall. I also put mats either side of doors and this stopped the dogs from slipping or skidding.

Ikea is opening tomorrow in Dublin too :jmp2:

Thanks for the replies guys. We're definitely going to put some mats down. We're only in the house 4 years so we couln't go down the road of getting it carpeted completely after spending quite a bit in the first place. We have a huge rug in the living room which we pull over near the couch for when she's getting up and down. Couch is covered with a throw. So the main issue is the hall (which is fairly big) but a mat or runner should sort that.

Karlin I agree 100% with what you're saying about people being aware of any underlying issues. Apparently she strayed twice and the second time the owners didn't want her back. The reasons behind this are anyone's guess. Also there was a lot of interest in her but the planned adoption fell through and that's when we got a call about her. I saw all her paperwork in the rescue and everything seemed well above board. In fact I was very impressed with how organised it appeared to be ran. My oh is getting back on to see if we can find out anything else. If we had some ideas it would help so much with these problems we've been having. Apart from that, she's just so adorable. We've both fallen madly in love with her and I think George is getting there too! :) She's the complete opposite to him. She's so flighty when we're up doing stuff. Always wondering what's happening next. Even if it's the exciting job of a bit of housework :) She's sleeping til about 4 or 5 in the morning then she's up ready to face the day! Hopefully in time she'll settle a bit better.

Hi,
I hope your little one is feeling better. We had laminate flooring put down in the living room in the spring and apart from it sounding like 42nd Street every time Leo walks on it he did slip alot at first.
My sister has the same and they have a Greyhound. They put special wax on her paws that stops her slipping, they find this works really well. They got the wax from Pet at Home.
Hope this helps

Mel

I can't remember the name, but there is some waxy stuff you can put on their paws to help them grip the floors better.

Thanks for the tips about the wax guys.

Chrissie seems to be much better today. We're still not sure what happened. We're assuming she ran and slipped but we're also wondering if she could have collapsed beside it. The noise sure sounded like she hit it hard. She's still on all her meds to see if the scratching dtops. It seems to be improving and thankfully the nipping at her tail isn't happening.

Her tummy problems seem to be much better but we're moistening the RC as she can't seem to bite it and just swallow it whole. When she was vomiting, she was throwing up undigested kibble.

I'm praying that this is just a bad patch and she'll make a full recovery!!

Couldn't agree more about covering slippy floors - it worries me so much every time I see all the photos of beautiful dogs on laminated floors, which are so popular at the moment. :eek:

We had a beautiful new "Roman tile-look" vinyl floor put down in our kitchen/utility room a couple of years ago. It was advertised as being especially treated to be anti-slip too, but within a few days 2 of my 3 Cavs had slithered and hurt themselves on it (whereas they never did on the OLD flooring, which was a bit galling!) :rolleyes:

Now, sadly, it is all covered up with good-gripping mats, but at least I know my dogs won't hurt themselves again - they have enough to endure with their SM and MVD, without anything extra that I CAN do something about.

Back