• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Plse can i have your advice?

tupup

Morning all,
i really need your opinions plse on a simple query:)
Last night i gave jelly her drontal(1 whole tablet) 2mins before her last feed at 9pm, all was fine until she vomited at 1.30am(poor love). i cleaned up & we all slept until 9.30 this morn, her toilets have been normal & she's eaten her breakfast at 10.30 so my question is-would you give her another half of drontal (tonight?) or wait until next worming due?

BTW i did question the amount when we collected drontal & the nurse said to give her 1 tablet,i said "at 9lbs?" & she said that was right.Now it could just be a coincidence as she is a little scavenger but i know our old vets had rubes on half a tablet at 11lbs(when i first got her & she was half starved)
Thanks for advice in advance:)

im always stressing over weights & tablets, just looked this up for you. going on Jelly weighing in at 9lb = 4.08 KG looks like she is just in the 1/2 drontal plus.
i would check with your vet if to give another tablet, but i know through experience they can give them a little off tummy.

Dosage Guide: Puppies and small dogs
½–2 kg bodyweight = ¼ Drontal Plus Flavour Tablet
2–5 kg bodyweight = ½ Drontal Plus Flavour Tablet
6–10 kg bodyweight = 1 Drontal Plus Flavour Tablet

I wouldn't give another pill, she would have absorbed all of that pill in 4 1/2 hours before she was sick. Personally, I'd switch brands if I thought it was the pill that made her sick.

I don't understand why they wanted you to give two doses anyway?

I used to give Lopatol 500 wormer to a Cavalier who couldn't handle Drontal - it's supposed to be gentler on the tummy. Not sure if you can still get it - although I've found references to it when I google.

Ask your vet for something gentler next time - explain what happened.

Hope Jelly is feeling better soon.

Hi,
Thanks Sarahso for that chart i will keep that noted:)
I dont think its the drontal as such that made her sick more the amount as 4weeks ago she had half a tablet & was fine, she was 6lbs then so i was expecting the nurse to say 3/4s at most! which is why i questioned her when she said to give her it all:confused: tho she also said it wouldnt harm her if it was too much:x
Jelly herself is really fine today full of it as usual-"helping" me tidy etc!!

I used to give drontal and Harley used to get ½ a tablet until he was 7-8 month old. My two girls weighing between 10 and 12 kilos used to get one tablet.
My Ebony has a sensitive tummy and she was fine with Drontal.

Im thinking, going on the chart there, if she thought i meant 9kgs instead of 9lbs?? Would any of you ring the vets to complain/inform?

I had a problem with drontal recently because Pippin has a chicken allergy and that's what they are flavouring it with now.

When I used to give him the non-flavoured one it was half a tablet when he was under 6 kilos.

Hope Jelly is feeling better now

Back