• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A liitle advice please?

I dont really know what steroids do - I presume they dont do the same job as the diuretics do?
Are they a painkiller or will they do something for the disease?

Im so angry that I cant help her she deserves so much more that this :(
I dont know what to do.........

For Riley, steroids help with her imbalance and weakness issues. They work on the fluid balance and shifts that occur in the brain. I assume that they work on pain also, but Riley luckily has never overtly demonstrated signs of pain. Karen, please don't be afraid of steroids. They certainly have a bad reputation, but if they will help Ruby be more comfortable and have a better quality of life, then I say go for it.

Ive just been reading through the Rusbridge website about treatment options and it states that corticosteroids can increase lethagy,weakness and intolerance to heat.
Ruby is already tired. weak and certainly hates the heat? Will it not just make her alot worse.
Also may it be worth trying a different type of diuretic eg Omeprazole or Furosomide before moving on or are we running out of time for trial and error as we have only tried the Cimetidine and a few people that I spoke to said that the Cime. didnt seem to work but others they tried did?
I know I should be asking Clare all these questions but we cant get an appointment for a couple of weeks as she is off at the momment.

Karen and Rubes (snoozing as always zzzzzzzzzzzz)

I am so sorry, I know exactly how you feel. I wish I could say something helpful, but I don't think I can.

What you are describing is something that I live with every day and I would imagine so does everyone else with a symptomatic cavalier, however well the medication seems to be working.

Owning a dog with SM does spoil the uncomplicated joy that you feel in your pet ( although in other ways it makes them a lot more precious to you ) and I really don't know how you can ever lose that worry.

For me it is the not knowing how much pain they may be experiencing.

I think you do become slightly paranoid, you do spend time wondering if you are imagining symptoms or, on the other hand, whether you are being cruel because you are not acting on your vague worries.

I cannot say that I feel my anxiety about my three affects their behaviour, although their behaviour ( when I wonder if they are having a 'bad' day ) can cause me to feel even more anxious about them and whether I should be looking again at their medication.

I have lived with the situation long enough to appreciate every day I have with them, and to enjoy them when they are obviously having fun.

Scaring pet owners is one of the accusations directed at the Pedigree Dogs Exposed film, and at Carol Fowler and myself when we appeared in the film in an attempt to bring the problem of SM to the cavalier owning public.

I know that has happened, & I am sorry for those that have been scared for no reason, but better a concerned and well informed owner checking for something that may not be present, than a dog in pain and the owner oblivious to the signs of extreme discomfort.

Ruby has an owner who cares, an owner who knows her problems and will not let her be in pain if she can help it.
You are a great Mum to her & she is so lucky to be with you.

Ms. Margaret C. I just realized who you are and wanted to express my gratitude for all that you have done for the cavaliers. I am a relatively new owner and did not do enough research before purchasing my first cavalier. He does not have any SM symptoms however he does have severe hip dysplasia. I have learned so much after watching the documentary. Asking the right questions and understanding the importance of health testing in cavaliers as well as being informed about common symtpoms of SM in cavaliers. I must say that the documentary scared me; however I would rather be informed than ignorant about the issues facing this wonderful breed. With Lou's hip dysplasia I am always worried about how much pain he feels; however all I can do is manage his condition to the best of my and our vets abilities and try to make him as happy as possible and that means: cuddling until noon on Saturday mornings; going for off leash walks on nearby trails, giving him ice cubes everytime I get ice for my ice tea and letting him sniff every mailbox during our on-leash walks in the neighborhood. Again Ms. C I want to let you know how important I found your comments in the documentary. We don't have many breeders of cavaliers in Alaska but the few that I have seen don't do any health testing even for the mitral valve disease. One breeder is actively breeding her two dogs with heart murmurs. Therefore it is wonderful to know that there are people out there like you who care about these dogs enough to speak out for their future. Thank you

Thank you for your kind words.
I am proud to have been part of the film. It has made such a difference to the way that pedigree dog breeding is being viewed.

It is not only pet owners that did not know about cavalier health issues, many breeders had not fully appreciated the problems in the breed either, especially those who do not belong to a cavalier club, or, belong to a breed club that does not inform their members of emerging health problems.

Disappointingly there are still too many clubs that do not have any health information, not even about mitral valve disease, on their websites.
I do wonder why they think the club exists if not to inform & educate their members?

I have two Japanese Chins with hip dysplasia, they manage a short walk every day with the help of a daily dose of metacam.
Chins are another breed with many health problems, MVD, Brachycephalic Airways Syndrome, slipping patella, atlantoataxia subluxation, cataracts, that have been ignored for years. The UK Chin Club website states that they have no recognised health problems

I do hope that Lou continues to enjoy his cuddles, his walks, & his ice cubes for many years with you.
Some of our dogs are so lucky to be with owners that love them so much and who are prepared to give them the best quality of life possible.
It is what happens to those that are not so lucky that haunts me sometimes.

Ive just been reading through the Rusbridge website about treatment options and it states that corticosteroids can increase lethagy,weakness and intolerance to heat.
Ruby is already tired. weak and certainly hates the heat? Will it not just make her alot worse.
Also may it be worth trying a different type of diuretic eg Omeprazole or Furosomide before moving on or are we running out of time for trial and error as we have only tried the Cimetidine and a few people that I spoke to said that the Cime. didnt seem to work but others they tried did?
I know I should be asking Clare all these questions but we cant get an appointment for a couple of weeks as she is off at the momment.

Karen and Rubes (snoozing as always zzzzzzzzzzzz)

Hello Karen,

I so wish there was something I could suggest that would help.

Matthew's pain symptoms and weakness improved when he was given steroids. I have not noticed any increased intolerance to heat, although he has always been inclined to take himself outside to lie on the paving stones in the evening.

I know that Matthew is now eleven and it is easier for me to decide that he will have whatever it takes to keep him comfortable, even though there may side effects that will shorten what remains of his life.

Vets routinely prescribe a short course of steroids for canine health problems, so I would not think that there would be any long term effect if Ruby took them until you see Clare and can ask her about other diuretics.

Have you spoken to your own vet, what does he suggest?

Like Matthew, Riley's weakness is helped by steroids and she shows no heat intolerance. She will still lie in the sun on our deck. I havene't noticed any lethargy with her either. She can tolerate walks every day. I agree with Margaret - it certainly wouldn't hurt Ruby to try a course of steroids while you evaluate your options. You'll know realloy soon after starting them how whe will tolerate them. Riley was a different dog within a day or two of starting steroids. She had life back in her and didn't fall down when she shook her body. It was truly amazing to see the difference. She was acting almost like a normal dog for the first time since I got her when she was 11 months old. (She is 7 years old now). If this is what it takes to keep her comfortable, I will do it.

Hello Karen,

I so wish there was something I could suggest that would help.

Matthew's pain symptoms and weakness improved when he was given steroids. I have not noticed any increased intolerance to heat, although he has always been inclined to take himself outside to lie on the paving stones in the evening.

I know that Matthew is now eleven and it is easier for me to decide that he will have whatever it takes to keep him comfortable, even though there may side effects that will shorten what remains of his life.

Vets routinely prescribe a short course of steroids for canine health problems, so I would not think that there would be any long term effect if Ruby took them until you see Clare and can ask her about other diuretics.

Have you spoken to your own vet, what does he suggest?

We have been to the vet this morning and she doesnt like to suggest things that she hasnt got alot of experience in until we have seen Clare.
She said the weakness in the front legs is probably being made worse by the fact that her right rear leg is weaker due to the Lux Patella. She has given us some Metacam to see us through to our Appointment with Clare and we will continue with the Gab and Cimetidine until then.

I supose I will just keep on with the reading until then and that way I will have the right questions and know exactly what Clare is suggesting!
Thanks for all your support xx Its so much appreciated

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Karen and an all swum out Ruby!!

Back