• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Petition

I haven't signed because I don't really understand *what* I am signing? There's no action statement in the petition. Is the petition to stop breeding all purebred dogs? Cavaliers? Or is it to try to get the KC to start requiring more testing? For it to be an effective petition, there must be a call to action. I appreciate your enthusiasm, however.

Jess,

I hope it's OK mentioning this, you said , if any-body could add any-thing, maybe you could put in something about the Cavaliers 'MVD Problem.

I did put in my message 46 about the Problem, I have said for 20 years that Cavalier Breeders should not Breed from a Cavalier if he or she has a Heart Condition,maybr what could help a wee bit ,would be if before Cavaliers were made up to be Champions they were Heart Tested before they were given their Title, when they become a Champion they sure are the Flavour of the Month.

Maybe even Heart Test them before the are given their first Challenge Certificate.

This could maybe work for MRI Scanning for SM this way as well.

Chloe ,mentioned about the Petition, maybe this is the beginning of us Wee People who have been and are Broken Hearted at what is and has happened to our Cherished Cavaliers, Focusing Minds,some may scoff , but.......

Bet(Hargreaves)

Jess

I think there is a lot in the petition that isn't totally correct. If a petition is to carry weight it must have it's facts right.

You appear angry because you have heard about poor health in pedigree dogs, and about inbreeding and culling, then you have lumped all these allegations together and drawn up a petition stating that this is happening in cavaliers - there is absolutely nothing to suggest that breeders cull their cavalier pups, and I have looked at cavalier pedigrees on a website - and they are not 'in-bred' ie mother/son, brother sister etc!

You are very worried that your cavalier might have SM - but you haven't been to the vet about it! So how do you KNOW????? There may be nothing wrong with your dog.

Sorry to be negative - but in this case your apparent good intentions have created a petition that is full of holes and totally misleading.

Yorkysue

Regarding the part about puppies being culled if they dont fit the specifications of the kennel club didnt necessarily mean with Cavaliers.
I meant more in general. I have heard of such things in other breeds.

Im afraid i wasnt aware of the developments restricting inbreeding.

If there is anything specific you would like me to change or anything you want me to add in. Please let me know.

Thanks again.

Hello Jesse,

In your first post you said.....

"Change happens when people like you take the time to make a difference."

You are so right, and I really appreciate that you are actively trying to change what is happening to our dogs
I wish some of the breeders were as concerned as you are.

I think your petition title specifies what you want to happen..

"Stop the Kennel Club allowing Cavalier Kc Spaniels with Syringomyelia to be bred"

But I would suggest that you may be better to take out the first paragraph as the facts are not completely accurate.

"Maybe some of you know that the Kennel Club only accept the highest standard breed of dogs. To acheive this they condone and promote inbreeding. Obviously this causes major health problems for the puppies.
If puppies who are bred solely for show purposes arent born with the right markings, right shape or the right characteristics are culled."

Thank you for caring enough to start this petition

I guess I missed the title... :eek:

Jess, I can tell you are very passionate about Cavaliers & SM, as we all are. However I feel the wording & information presented on the petition is just a little too, how do I say this, Peta-like? Maybe if you could remove some of the innacuracies it would seem less so.

I just don't know about this, maybe some-body will have some views,

In the early 1980's there was In- Breeding in Cavaliers ,Half -Brothers mated to Half Sisters .The SM Problem seemed to have made it's appearance around that time, is this a co-incidence or.......

There were Father to Daughter Matings in Cavaliers in the 70's ,we all know about the In-Breeding during the 2'nd World War that had to be carried out to keep the Cavalier Breed going, when Mother was Mated to Son ,Father to Daughter , then doubled up again .

The question is ,is the Cavalier Breed now paying the Price of all the In-Breeding that has taken Place earlier on because the ill health Problems now afflicting Cavaliers.

Bet(Hargreaves)

Petition.

I wonder if I could mention this thought since the Petition has just appeared on the List.

How many other Countries will have Cavaliers with SM.?

Here are some that I know about

Britain
Ireland
Netherlands.
America
South Africa.
Australia.
Canada

Maybe others could add to this List, it certainly is Food for Thought.

Bet ( Hargreaves)

I'm sure that we have had posts from owners of SM affected dogs from many other countries.

As all Cavaliers originated in the UK, I suppose you could expect to find SM affected dogs wherever you find a reasonable size population of cavaliers?

I havent been online for a few days so theres a lot to take in.

I will get around to changing the petition and i will be honest, maybe i didnt look into it as much as i should of. I was feeling quite desperate and quite surprised that something like this hadnt been started before.

I know theyre many people out there who are working to make a difference. Working too hard. We shouldnt have to.

Yorkysue, im not offended but i should let you know; It may sound 'peta-ish' because I am infact a member of peta. Aswell as signing their petitions, donating my money to them, I also live that lifestlye. I dont eat meat and I dont eat any other products from animals. I dont wear wool, leather etc. I dont use products tested on animals. Because i care.

I thought that was something you should know. Im afraid ill never know if Daisy has SM because i cant afford it. Sometimes you just know though. She torments herself so much. She chews constantly at herself until she bleeds. She growls and whines when she scratches herself. She could be settled and the next minute shes up in a flash to scoot around on the floor scratching.

Now, even if i had the finances to be certain wheter or not she had it, it wouldnt matter either way. Id still be trying to do something about it.

I understand, the petition may have an undertone of anger and frustration because thats what I feel. You must feel that too, certainly? That a family pet or companion is suffering because someone wanted best of breed or best in show.

Bet, thanks again. I will certainly put something in about MVD and i will definitely look into SM and MVD more extensively so i can be 100% accurate. I really do want this to carry as much weight as possible, I want it to have an impact.

Thanks.

I havent been online for a few days so theres a lot to take in.

I will get around to changing the petition and i will be honest, maybe i didnt look into it as much as i should of. I was feeling quite desperate and quite surprised that something like this hadnt been started before.

I know theyre many people out there who are working to make a difference. Working too hard. We shouldnt have to.

Yorkysue, im not offended but i should let you know; It may sound 'peta-ish' because I am infact a member of peta. Aswell as signing their petitions, donating my money to them, I also live that lifestlye. I dont eat meat and I dont eat any other products from animals. I dont wear wool, leather etc. I dont use products tested on animals. Because i care.

I thought that was something you should know. Im afraid ill never know if Daisy has SM because i cant afford it. Sometimes you just know though. She torments herself so much. She chews constantly at herself until she bleeds. She growls and whines when she scratches herself. She could be settled and the next minute shes up in a flash to scoot around on the floor scratching.

Now, even if i had the finances to be certain wheter or not she had it, it wouldnt matter either way. Id still be trying to do something about it.

I understand, the petition may have an undertone of anger and frustration because thats what I feel. You must feel that too, certainly? That a family pet or companion is suffering because someone wanted best of breed or best in show.

Bet, thanks again. I will certainly put something in about MVD and i will definitely look into SM and MVD more extensively so i can be 100% accurate. I really do want this to carry as much weight as possible, I want it to have an impact.

Thanks.

That explains so much..
http://www.nokillnow.com/PETAIngridNewkirkResign.htm

JessWhitfield -- I'm concerned about the agony you are witnessing in your dog. I realize you said you won't be able to afford to have an official SM diagnosis (I'm guessing through MRI), but have you investigated any medicinal avenues to manage her symptoms? I just hate to hear of a dog in that amount of pain and distress -- just making sure you're trying to manage the symptoms, even if you don't get a formal diagnosis.

I sincerely hope your dog's agony can be alleviated somehow. I can't imagine watching Holly go through what you described.

Im afraid ill never know if Daisy has SM because i cant afford it. Sometimes you just know though. She torments herself so much. She chews constantly at herself until she bleeds. She growls and whines when she scratches herself. She could be settled and the next minute shes up in a flash to scoot around on the floor scratching.

This must be awful for Daisy and for you, is it not possible to explain her symptoms to your vet and what you suspicions are re SM, At least he should be able to get her on some medication to ease her suffering. If he has not heard of SM direct him towards the various websites where all the information he needs will be readily available.

You will get much support from here so hold on in there.

Nanette

. Im afraid ill never know if Daisy has SM because i cant afford it. Sometimes you just know though. She torments herself so much. She chews constantly at herself until she bleeds. She growls and whines when she scratches herself. She could be settled and the next minute shes up in a flash to scoot around on the floor scratching.

I can understand how you feel. I have felt the frustration many times.
We are all trying to make a difference in the way that seems best to us.

Daisy does sound as if she is in severe pain sometimes and it must be very distressing to see her like it.
Vets will sometimes diagnose SM on clinical signs and prescribe painkillers that control the symptoms.
Frusemide, rimadyl, metacam, gabapentin and prednisolone have all played a part in keeping my three SM boys reasonably comfortable for many years.

I obviously don't know what your financial circumstances are, but if you are not working at the moment, or you are on a very low wage, have you checked out the PDSA or similar organisations to see if they can help?

Sandy- I'm not following the link you sent. Personally, I have no opinion one way or another about any group (or will just not mention it here!) but in looking at some of the stats that site shows regarding PETA's euth'z rate, if you go to the pdf it references, the numbers are completely different...or am I missing something here? In the year 2004, the "no kill now" site says that over 2000 dogs were euth'd @ Peta. However, if you go to the pdf, it shows only 300+ were, but that over 2000 were reclaimed so the NKN site flipped the stats? Oops.

Regardless, I didn't mean to open a can with the Peta comment. If you are an AR activist, good for you if that's what you want to support... (y) But Jess, are you at all against medicating your animal? There are plenty of pain killers that you can give your dog, whether you know it's SM or not...if your dog is in pain, give it some meds!

Sandy- I'm not following the link you sent. Personally, I have no opinion one way or another about any group (or will just not mention it here!) but in looking at some of the stats that site shows regarding PETA's euth'z rate, if you go to the pdf it references, the numbers are completely different...or am I missing something here? In the year 2004, the "no kill now" site says that over 2000 dogs were euth'd @ Peta. However, if you go to the pdf, it shows only 300+ were, but that over 2000 were reclaimed so the NKN site flipped the stats? Oops.

Regardless, I didn't mean to open a can with the Peta comment. If you are an AR activist, good for you if that's what you want to support... (y) But Jess, are you at all against medicating your animal? There are plenty of pain killers that you can give your dog, whether you know it's SM or not...if your dog is in pain, give it some meds!

lol-- I won't go into my feelings about AR groups(there may be children viewing), but it did explain "Jess..." attitude and petition. Not even the leading experts expect breeders to disallow ALL cavaliers with SM from breeding. There are grade A cavaliers with SM that would be encouraged to be bred and even some D's.

Jess

It wasn't me that suggested that your petition sounded a bit like PETA -but Like the others on the site, I think you really do have to do something for your poor girl to help her suffering TAKE HER TO A VET.

You say you care about animals - The HOW CAN YOU NOT DO ANYTHING FOR HER!!? :mad: I am very angry about what you are saying. If you can't afford a vet's bill Why didn't you think of this before taking on such a huge responsibility???????!!!!

Also have you let the breeder know about her - And did you in fact buy her from a recognised and caring breeder - or just a breeder or kennel outlet?

Who are you blaming here??? Or are you just offloading the blame?

Sorry I've gone off on one - but look after your baby and get her treatment! otherwise you are no better than the people you are shouting about!

I live in Scotland, God's Chosen Country.......and have no idea what Peta is. ,but surely this is getting away from the original idea of Jess's thought of having a Petition about SM.

How can we Little People in the Cavalier World get our message across about the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed, other than trying some-thing like this.?

I would like to try and find out , how many other Countries have Cavaliers with SM.

Has it originated from Britain?

Did the Mutations of the Genes start here?

I am beginning to wonder now ,did the MVD Heart Trouble start here in Britain, and because of Cavaliers being Exported in the 1950's to other Countries ,that's why MVD is so Wide-Spread in the World to- day.

Just let us all stick to-gether ,and fight to get our Cavaliers, Healthier, Longer Lives.

Just had another thought ,is Britain the Biggest Exporter of Cavaliers?

Bet(Hargreaves)

Bet

What do Cavalier show people and therefore a lot of the more well known breeders value more than most ,surely it is there constant drive for K.C. CC for their show Cavs ,cannot pressure be applied onto the K.C. to link all the Health requirements that we know are so urgently needed for our breed to the award of these most desired things .So in practice it would need the K.C. to ensure that all dogs meet a certain Health Criteria which would have to be proven by certification before any dog could enter the show ring and thereby be on the golden path to all those coveted Challenge Certificates ,so would not a petition along these lines directed to The Kennel Club by us pet owners be a useful tool in our struggle for health testing for MVD and SM and any other afflictions that may effect our beloved breed .:)

Brian, you know thats not a bad idea,perhaps it could be ALL breeds to show health certs for each breeds requirements under one umbrella,otherwise im seeing so many petitions needed it makes ones head spin! Also if representing all breeds it would surely hold more weight with the KC? More breeds-more signatures? just a thought.
Are you really ready to stick your head above the parapet so soon after our last foray "over the top";)lol!

Back