• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Petition

Daisy has been to the vets many, many times. They blamed fleas at first when clearly she had none. Weve had shampoos, tablets, theyve taken skin scrapings, blood tests and shes still doing it. They seem reluctant to say its anything other than a seasonal allergy, like hayfever.

I hope its not coming across that im neglecting her because im not. Shes very well taken care of. I will be looking at taking her to the PDSA but im not quite sure how much they offer in the way of serious treatments.

I will be changing the petition. I really didnt want to cause a fuss here.

Jess,
In reference to your saying you are surprised something hasnt been done before i thought you might be interested in these-
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=30730

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=31166

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=30055

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=30478

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=30492

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=28271
Amongst many others!Because we ALL care. A lot of work is being done by those who will help whether their pets have SM or MVD or not.
I cant knock your enthusiasm but if you cant afford treatment for Daisy how do you afford to donate to charity:-?
I hope you can get some pain meds at least arranged for her soon

Sorry YorkySue. My mistake. It wasnt you who said it sounded peta-ish. I apologise.

I feel like theres something else you should all know.
Im only 17 and while I take full care of Daisy, obviously Im not the one who takes care of her vet bills. Thats mainly my mother. Although I will put money towards. Thats not the point though.

While I know the petition wasnt perfect regarding accuracy amongst some other things, it was a start. There are so many people out there who have the power, strength and money to do good and make changes. But they dont. I dont have the power, strength or money but i still want to do something good, something right. Even if its only small things to start off with.

Thanks again.

Jess- We're not trying to beat you down and I feel badly now knowing you're only 17- I remember I thought I could change the world too at that age! :rolleyes:

I dont have the power, strength or money but i still want to do something good, something right. Even if its only small things to start off with.

Thanks again.

Hello Jess

I am so sorry you are having to go through this, nobody on this forum likes to hear of a dog suffering, but from what you say your little girl has been to the Vets many times without success. Have you contemplated another Vet? or armed with all the information from this forum on SM could you take it to your vet and thrust it under his/hers nose? Do you have a video Camera? if yes takes a video of Daisy while she is scratching and take that as well to the vets. It also might be an idea for you to watch the videos in the SM section on this forum so you can perhaps gain some experience into exactly what a dog is going through when suffering from SM.

I feel that instead of condemning and judging you we need to help and guide you in order for you to get the best possible help for your little Daisy.
I do not know where you live if in the UK, the RSPCA have animal hospitals throughout the UK and will help those who find it difficult finacially, I should imagine that was a really hard thing for you to write as well but hope armed with information you will be able to get the help that is so needed for your dog.

Nanette

I remember I thought I could change the world too at that age! :rolleyes:

And I hope that never changes!! We need our young people to not accept things as they are and to try to change things. We're in big trouble if they all decide to just give up. ;)

There are so many people out there who have the power, strength and money to do good and make changes. But they dont.

You've got that right Jess....so don't give up!

Jess - do trying getting a video of your girl. I did that for my vet and it was a huge help. She was able to see what I was talking about and then when I brought her in for an exam, although she wasn't symptomatic at that moment, my vet knew what to look for.

Jess thats some really good advise there to perhaps video Daisy but if you cant plse take print out info from here to your vets,i did that however i still didnt feel my vet was taking it seriously so went elsewhere for a 2nd opinion.You might find its not as expensive as you think,perhaps look at organised visits to Chestergates for scanning days(in new members thread there is one planned)Also if Daisy is insured? i was told that a scan would be covered under *investigating an illness*
Im sorry if it seems weve been a bit harsh on you, i guess its something we all feel passionatly about! So dont give up trying to change the world:)
Do let us know how you get on with Daisy,good luck

Good Morning All

Tupup It might be an idea then if we think about wording regarding a Petition to the KC regarding my little commment previous ,but as you say broaden it to include all showdogs and thereby all CC awards ,we have a bit more experiance now .Any other members any thoughts pls .:)

Jess

I hope I wan't too hard on you, of course I had no idea you are 17 yrs old, so probably still in education and no wage. I just made the assumption you were older. I can understand how upsetting it must be to witness your girl in discomfort and I hope that a diagnosis is made soon and she can get the treatment she needs.

It's good you are involved in trying to make a difference, and I used to jump in feet first when I was younger. But as you get older:eek: you start to look at a lot more aspects of the 'picture' (been there done that kind of thing) and try to get all your facts right, because hearsay/propagander can be presented as the truth - especially when sensationalism is involved. You need to dig down under the surface and find out what is truth and what is 'bending the truth' or embellishing it, or interpretting the facts to suit your goal!! it's called deceit.

Sorry - gone off on one again - good luck anyway.

Brian, and every-body ,could we maybe help Jess with her Petition.

Here is my thought ,no CC's for Cavaliers to be given unless they have been Health Tested for MVD and SM.Mandatory Health Tests of Breeding Stock for both those Conditions in Cavaliers. No Cavaliers to be Exported unless there is a Certificate showing that those Health Tests have been carried out.

Bet (Hargreaves)

Hi Bet

Those are mine and tupups thoughts exactly ,being at work I only hop on and off CT so mybe we could all have a good think re wording and P aims over the week-end ,what say you .:)

Yes ,I really do think we have a great chance with this to get our Voices heard.

Maybe we can get Jemima Harrison , Beverley Cuddy, Ryan O'Mera and the most important of all Karlin ,to give us help in how this could be orginized.

Bet(Hargreaves)

Jess,

Have you any thoughts on how you would like your Petition to move forward?

There must be World Wide interest for it.

Look at all the folk from different Countries who have signed it.

Bet(Hargreaves)

I didnt think any of you were being harsh, just honest. I should have made myself more clear instead of rushing in and thinking the first answer was the right one.

We have changed vets a few times. The one were at now is probably the best so far. Im in the North East of England, i know theres a PDSA close by but I havent heard of any screening days offered by anyone. I will definitely make a video of daisy to take to the vets with me. Its a brilliant idea. She has a follow up appointment in 2 weeks, luckily. Ill be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Ill be working on the petition over the weekend so if theres anything specific you'd like me to put in, write your own little paragraph or point me in the direction of some other useful sites. Have the Kennel Club made any adjustments to what's acceptable and whats not just in terms of the cavalier breed?

As far as the petition goes, I wasnt quite sure what I was going to do with it if I got the target amount of signatures. My first thought was to send it to the KC. If this is a bad idea or if you think of something else, let me know that too.

I really feel like I owe you all something.

Thanks so much.

Jess

MRI scanning

Hi Jess

A vet in Bishop Auckland is offering an MRI scanning day for Cavaliers on 19 August. It will be a mini scan (head and shoulders, not full spine, but often sufficient to pick up SM) and costs £230 (inc. VAT) - sounds a lot but very much cheaper than a full scan. Could you beg, borrow or steal that amount?! It should tell you what is happening with your dog, and a scan is really the only way to know definitely whether SM is there or not. For more information go to the Cavalier Club site (www.thecavalierclub.co.uk) and scroll down on the home page until you see the heading Wear Vets, which gives you contact details.

All the best

Kate, Oliver (with SM) and Aled

Thats not a bad price at all, harleys scan was 1340 but the quote was for £2000, at the animal health trust, if the vet hadnt agreed to scan harley i could not have afforded it, di

Arent we all here for the same reason?

I have put off writing on this thread for a while however i Signed on today and feel I have to say something.

People like myself and Jess are what I like to call the FUTURE and there wont be a FUTURE for our Cavvies if people like us dont get on board with knowledge and ideas and do something.
I myself am only 25 and Ruby has been with me for 3 years and I never, ever dreamed that this is what my life with my first dog would end up like. As I write my baby is at the vets with god knows what sticking in her as she has caught an infection as I beleive her immune system is weakened through all the Meds she takes for the SM. That isnt what ive been told but what I think. She and all the other SM Cavs are the real victims in this and its the damn right obnoxious people high up in the KC that will not make a change. I am disgusted that after all the reasearch and testing people like our neurologist C.Rusbridge have dedicated themselves to that it still is consisered by some as 'a newly discovered' problem. I have been looking for a companion for Ruby for over a year now and I feel I will never be satisfied enough to actually bring home a baby as having 'A' scanned parents isnt enough but unfortunatly I believe that there probably arent any real clear dogs left to breed.
I cant help but think that bashing at Jess for what she is trying to do at such a young age is ignorent and yes I reaslise that no one realised her age but even so this website is supossed to be one of support and knowledge for Cavalier owners so surely this is what we should be doing for jess.

If there is anything you want help with please let us know- yes the wording could be changed to make more impact as beleive you me it is going to take a hell of a lot more than words to make a change! but at the end of the day if something doesnt change the only place our future generations will be looking at a Cavvie is stuffed, behind glass in the EXTINCT section of a museum.

When I think about my Ruby I am filled with the biggest sense of pride, she is going from day to day suffering with upmost dignity and grace- she never complains or stops supporting me in my times of need and never fails to give me a cuddle even when she is at her worst. It pains me that all I can do is give her painkillers and medication and we dont know if it is working or not. If it isnt working then my girl probably wont see her 5th birthday as her syrinx was so large at the time of diagnosis.

I personaly think that people should be restricted from showing unless their dog is proved healthy, and yes i realise that there probably wont be any to show but in my opinion that is a good thing. Show dogs are suposed to be Perfect specimens of the breed but what is perfect about a dog crippled by pain? I also think that dogs not scanned shouldnt be bred from at all. I went to Crufts this year to have a look around and was disgusted at what I saw, dogs with obvious bowed legs and coned heads winning classes- now correct me if Im wrong but shouldnt a Cavs head be almost flat between the ears? If so then I think the judges need a re test for whatever 'qualification' they have to have an opinion!!

Ive just realised just how much ive written so Im going to stop now!

Karen and an absent Ruby xx:xctly:

I have just been on the KC website and there have been no 'Reforms' to the Cavalier breed standard but then all of the changes are to do with looks and not health.
Could we put something in there to do with the KC acreditited breeder scheme and that to be a member of the scheme that breeding stock must be tested for SM and be either an A or otherwise under the Rusbridge scheme. This way for the breeders to still have KC status they would have to test their stock?

Back