• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winston has scabs on his jowls & neck from playing

chloe92us

This has to be from playing with Ollie- they are constantly chasing each other & wrestling. Is this normal? Honestly, I've never had two dogs play so much and I'm now worried he's hurting him...they're both adult dogs, one is almost 2 & the other almost 4. The scabs are small but are scattered around his ears, neck, and jowls. :confused:

Hmmm, that sounds strange...are you sure it couldn't be from something else? Or a skin condition/allergic reaction??? I'm assuming Ollie would have to bite him pretty hard to draw blood and have scabs form...keep us posted!

Our schnauzer had this when she was younger; from where she was constantly winding up our german shepherd! The GSD was very gentle with people, children, other dogs, etc; they just played rough together! We took her to the vet, they weren't overly concerned but said we should keep the wounds clean (with Hibiscrub, or similar) and try to discourage rough play - easier said than done I know! Good luck!

They do play pretty rough- Ollie pulls him by the ears and when they wrestle, they (play) bite each others necks and jowls. I'm afraid that Ollie IS biting him too hard...there's never any blood, but there's like a few little scabs. I haven't had his collar on him lately, but I put it back on yesterday as I think it helps protect his neck area a little bit. Poor Winston, I always tell Ollie to stop but when he does, Winston goes right back for more so I know they both enjoy it.... :?

It's tricky isn't it! Both of our dogs obviously enjoyed playing like that and it was always Zara who started it! She was the same as your situation - no blood, just little scabs (mainly on her back). Maybe they'll calm down as they get older :rolleyes:

My lot turn up with scabs every so often, from playing. They don't seem bothered by it at all (don't mind me touching them etc.) but it can be concerning. Usually they clear up and all is well again. They do play very rough, looks (and sounds) like they are killing each other sometimes but generally if one fo them gets hurt the others back off until they want to play again. If they are having fun and not damaging themselves too much I just leave them do their own thing. It's all just a bit of rough and tumble! :rolleyes:

Back