• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor review of James Wellbeloved food

There are all sorts of subjective views on foods on the internet. I have written about this site before -- the fact that these 'reviewers' do not say who they are, provide their qualifications for reviewing foods,etc means as a journalist I could not even use this site in a published article. They have 'standards' that vastly differ from what nutritionists consider adequate to excellent nutrition. So the site has a better idea of what constitutes proper nutrition than nutritionists? :sl*p:

Every dog food marketed in the US, UK and Ireland has to meet minimum standards. As I have said many times, our family had a breed, Great Pyrenees, that has an average life expectancy of about 8 years live til 13 -- fed on pretty much nothing but Skippy dog food and cheap kibble and table scraps, which was about all that was around commercially in the US in the 60s and 70s. Never had a single visit to the vet for an illness. Talk to people who owned dogs 'back then' and most will recall healthy dogs that lived lengthy lifespans mostly fed on lowish quality supermarket food. Now we have all sorts of issues in breeds. Maybe that decline has more to do with breeding than feeding, but obsessing over food and changing kibble brands is easier to do than fight for better breed health standards... I wish half the effort of the ever-clamorous raw food army was put into arguing for healthier-bred dogs.

I would not choose such a low quality food now but the reality is -- ANY dog food on sale in a shop is 'adequate'. If it matters to people wheteher they pay a lot extra to get seaweed and dried blueberries in their dog foods, they have that option. There are excellent mid range foods too and even a supermarket food is going to meet nutritional requirements. The reality is that a teensy proportion of dogs have 'grain allergies' and all the other stuff the pet food obsessionists like to hyperventilate over.

James Wellbeloved is for my money an excellent food and especially works for dog with food sensitivities. If people feel the food doesn;t meet what they would like in a food, God knows there are tons of options including home cooking and raw diets. In Ireland you not only can buy what you want in the shops or pet shops but order a vast array of foods from Zooplus.ie. (y)

But I sure would not get concerned over what a website that won;t even identify its reviewers and ownership says. That's my two cents.

A bit confusing as it seems to be quite good and so far George loves it!! :) Poor Chrissie is on RC sensitivity and the kibbles are so hard. We moisten them but it takes so long.

I put mine on JWB a year ago and they are all doing very well on it. I only give them the lamb and rice as Pippin has a chicken/poultry allergy and I find it easier to buy the large bag.

Their coats have improved and they have no issues at all on this food also I found that they keep to a reasonable weight on it also.

There are a huge range of choices when it comes to feeding your dog. The bottom line is, whatever food works for YOUR DOG is best for YOUR DOG. ;) If his coat is in good condition, well-formed poos, and he likes the taste, then it's probably good for him.

My Scooby was very poorly on Burns and Royal Canin kibbles (both of which I am sure are very good foods). Since he has been on JW cereal free he is thriving and he really enjoys it.
Its a shame our dogs can't tell us how the food we give them makes them feel but we do pick up signals don't we?
I hope you find the right foods for your dog(s) and it doesn't worry you too much to read something negative - you don't know peoples motives for bad reviews.

He seems to love it and so far so good. It was the sugar beet pulp bit that had me worried but it appears to be safe from other stuff I've read.

I feed my dogs on Royal canin, read bad reviews about that too but my dogs are doing great on it.

Back