• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ears?

shippers

I am sat here at the computer with Sally on my knee. I just happened to flip her ear flap up and noticed all brown stuff in her ear. I took them to the groomer on Wednesday and she mentioned that their ears would be damp when I got home because she put ear cleaner in them. Will this just be dirt that has come out or are they infected? They don't smell and it doesn't seem to be bothering her. I'll give them a wipe out and see but should I be going to the vet? Obviously I don't want anything nasty in there

Perhaps she cleaned them because she noticed they were dirty?

I'd take them to the vet if you've never dealt with an ear infection before.

It is probably a yeast infection, but your vet will be able to look and tell you. You may need to clean daily for a week or so and put in some drops to kill the infection.

I would doubt if it's "all brown" that it's ordinary dirt.

Good luck. :)

The drops may have been the kind that loosens up debris in the ear. Wiping the outside of the inner ear certainly helps to get rid of the stuff and, if there isn't an odor and it's that usual brown wax material, I doubt if a vet visit is needed. There are a lot of ear cleaners available to use at home inbetween grooming and it's good to use them on those lovely floppy ears. :)

Thanks for your advice much appreciated as I do panic when anything is wrong. I have only ever used chlorohexidine ear wipes but never bought drops or anything to actually put in the ear. Can you recommend anything? I will wipe them out and see if anything comes back and watch Sally for any discomfort

Some breeder friends of mine recommended this solution for cleaning ears:

50/50 mix of isopropol alcohol (rubbing alc) & white vinegar

I have always purchased the mixtures at the pet supply store or online, but I am AMAZED at how much better the 50/50 mix works! I used a near-empty bottle of ear solution, rinsed it out, and put the new mix in it. They stink like vinegar for a few hours until it dries, but it cleans it so quickly, almost like it melts the dirt and wax! And a lot cheaper too.... ;)

One trick our vet hadn't told us about putting any drops in ear is to put in drops, rub ear THEN LET DOG SHAKE ITS HEAD.;that brings awful stuff to surface to be cleaned out with cotton ball. We hadn't let our golden do the last and infection remained.

Heather R

I have cleaned the brown dirt out of the top of her ear and hopefully it won't come back. Hopefully it isn't anything nasty or contagious. I have checked our other cav, Lois's, ears and they're fine. Does Frontline keep ear mites away? They have that applied regularly. I have also ordered some Cleanaural to keep their ears clean.

Shippers, unfortunately Frontline does not treat ear mites. When I got Bailey,my re-home boy, he came with extra visitors. He had been around my other 2 dogs for a little while so they all had to be put on Revolution which treats ear mites and also protects against fleas and heartworm. They had to be on it for 3 months as a remedy for Bailey and a preventative for Max and Mollie.

DeeDee
mom to Bailey and Mollie
missing Max all the time

Thanks for the advice. The 'Thornit' powder seems good if it prevents ear mites I might try this. Where do they get ear mites from? They don't mix with many other dogs only on walks etc. The dirt has come back today after me cleaning it out yesterday so its off to the vets tomorrow. It seems to be bothering her a little more too. Hope Lois doesn't get it. What a nightmare :yuk:

Hope it's nothing nasty. We use Cleanaural for maintenance and it does a good job. Kizzy had an ear infection when we got her, but since it cleared up (with drops from the vet) and we've been cleaning with Cleanaural - no further problems... (touch wood!)

Thorn-it powder is great to keep the ears clean and dry. My Oliver used to have frequent ear infections and then I started to use this for maintenance and haven't had one since. I'm in the US, but did order it from the UK. Can't remember which site I used, though.

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx

Thornit is great for clearing ear mites and for weekly ear maintenance, but you must remember to use only the smallest pinch of powder.

Vets don't approve of 'canker powders' and I understand that the majority are not usually effective, but Thornit really does work.

You can buy it quickly & easily from eBay

Does sound like a visit to the Vet is prime decision. If you do use a liquid for maintenance , as someone stated, let them shake those ears. Last year, during shaking, Chickabee actually threw out a piece of kibble :eek:-and it wasn't even her kibble!

The dirt has come back today after me cleaning it out yesterday so its off to the vets tomorrow. It seems to be bothering her a little more too. Hope Lois doesn't get it. What a nightmare :yuk:

FYI, my dogs have had yeast infections, never mites. The only dogs I've known with mites are puppy mill rescues. Not saying yours don't have it, but I'd be more likely to place my bet on Yeast. And FYI, my dogs have never passed that onto one another.

Shippers, Agree with Lani as to possibility of yeast infection. Personally I would get vet's opinion. Our golden develops yeast infections in her ears during Springtime. She is probably allergic to pollen. Vet gives us ointment and each Spring I put her on benadryl for the allergies and the infection goes away.(y)

Heather R

Back