Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ears?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. The 'Thornit' powder seems good if it prevents ear mites I might try this. Where do they get ear mites from? They don't mix with many other dogs only on walks etc. The dirt has come back today after me cleaning it out yesterday so its off to the vets tomorrow. It seems to be bothering her a little more too. Hope Lois doesn't get it. What a nightmare
    Sally (Blenheim) 01/02/07
    Lois (Tricolour) 25/09/08

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it's nothing nasty. We use Cleanaural for maintenance and it does a good job. Kizzy had an ear infection when we got her, but since it cleared up (with drops from the vet) and we've been cleaning with Cleanaural - no further problems... (touch wood!)
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Thorn-it powder is great to keep the ears clean and dry. My Oliver used to have frequent ear infections and then I started to use this for maintenance and haven't had one since. I'm in the US, but did order it from the UK. Can't remember which site I used, though.

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx

Thornit is great for clearing ear mites and for weekly ear maintenance, but you must remember to use only the smallest pinch of powder.

Vets don't approve of 'canker powders' and I understand that the majority are not usually effective, but Thornit really does work.

You can buy it quickly & easily from eBay
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Does sound like a visit to the Vet is prime decision. If you do use a liquid for maintenance , as someone stated, let them shake those ears. Last year, during shaking, Chickabee actually threw out a piece of kibble -and it wasn't even her kibble!
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

freckles mom~ OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shippers View Post
    The dirt has come back today after me cleaning it out yesterday so its off to the vets tomorrow. It seems to be bothering her a little more too. Hope Lois doesn't get it. What a nightmare
    FYI, my dogs have had yeast infections, never mites. The only dogs I've known with mites are puppy mill rescues. Not saying yours don't have it, but I'd be more likely to place my bet on Yeast. And FYI, my dogs have never passed that onto one another.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Shippers, Agree with Lani as to possibility of yeast infection. Personally I would get vet's opinion. Our golden develops yeast infections in her ears during Springtime. She is probably allergic to pollen. Vet gives us ointment and each Spring I put her on benadryl for the allergies and the infection goes away.

Heather R