• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is there something wrong with the Cavalier Chat forum?

Sandy- we all know there are not thousands of *active* members- maybe about 100 or so that regularly check in and would have seen that VERY CASUAL poll.

Sandy- we all know there are not thousands of *active* members- maybe about 100 or so that regularly check in and would have seen that VERY CASUAL poll.

My point was there are well over a thousand people that can/could reply to that poll- even anonymously . 25 did, 2/3rds said they got their dog from a reputable breeder.

On the Cavalier Health website, the survey results of their "casual" poll have also been displayed. I found it interesting that of the 350 people that responded, about 85 own(ed) or have bred a dog "thought" to have SM (about 24%). In addition, 55 said they own(ed) or have bred dogs that were confirmed but were asymptomatic. So approximately 140 of the 350 (40%) of the respondents have personally owned or bred a dog with SM; confirmed but asymptomatic, or suspected. What stat is missing is how many dogs have been confirmed and are also symptomatic? That was missing and I would like to know.

You can see all the results of the survey here: www.cavalierhealth.co.uk and scroll to the bottom.

Last edited:
Thank you to the people who replied to my queries, your comments have been very helpful and the subsequent discussions on this thread show that it is a bit of a minefield out there and that personal interpretation always comes into any discussions. (of course)

I have looked on the other site and there are some really good things on it and some really caring people! just like on this site. I suppose something like breeding a litter of pups is not as easy as all that if you want to try and breed healthy ones and nothing can be for sure.

I still think that puppy farms are THE most appalling (whatever anyone else says) especillay after watching the news!!!! and I won't change my mind on that one:mad::mad:

I think that we may have benefited from cavalierchat's sudden change of management style.
Mark Marshall, who was also unceremoniously removed as a member, with no warning or explanation, has now joined this forum.

People reading here may be interested in a scanning day he is organising, I understand these have been very well organised events....... http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=31386

I must say I never have even tried to go on the Cavalier Chat Forum as what I hear on here about it is enough for me. All the people that have been removed from there are all decent people who have only the Cavaliers Health at heart. It looks like if you have a different opinion you are not welcome there so why put yourself through it it’s like hitting your head against a brick wall. :bang:
At least on CT we all care about the same thing and that is about the health of our Cavaliers and how we can move forward.

Sabby,
I would recommend signing up to CC and giving it a try.
Then make up your own mind,based on what you see and what the members say to you.Like every message board, you'll find a mix of personalities, some people are wonderful, there are some who treat pet people with contempt but they don't post very often.
They also have this hilarious little troll who loves having a go at cavalier talk members beause they come from a forum where people are actually banned!! Since CC now ban people too, I think it's gone on a scuba diving expedition to seek the high moral ground...icon_whistling
So you see we're not all that different when push comes to shove.
While on the subject of push and shove, the bloke who drives the Doggiebus to Chestergates has been pushed for no discernible reason.How anyone thought that this was going to end well is beyond me! This flies in the face of the much vaunted ethos of a site where people can speak freely without fear of being banned. Why deny someone a platform from which to facilitate breeders who want the lowest possible price and least amount of hassle to have their breeding stock tested? What heinous transgression has this man committed? Does he supply cavalier pelts to Cruella De Vil or something??
Anyway apart from that, There are some great people on CC who love their dogs to bits and are rightfully proud of them whether on the couch or in the showring.Check it out for yourself.
Sins

Is There Something Wrong with CavalierChat Forum?

Sabby,

I so agree with you, I have mentioned the reason I Resigned from the CC Forum was because of the Suggestive and Lewd Comments made against certain Folk who had the wish to make the Cavaloers have the chance of Healthier ,Longer Lives.

Also when when I stepped out of line about how SM and MVD were affecting our Cavalier Breed, there were some who came down on me like a Ton of Bricks.

The Posts were really hitting below the Belt.!!!

I wonder where all those Cavalier Breeders who are now claiming to be Whiter Than Snow and doing all they can for Cavaliers, were around 20 years ago,when we Broken Hearted Cavalier Pet People were crying out for Help beause of our Cavaliers dying at such a young age from Heart Trouble.

The only Person who was listening at that time was Mrs L Jupp. She got the Research into the MVD Problem off the Ground. She is now the Chairman of the UK CKCS Club

There seems to as much feuding about the SM in Cavaliers amongst certain Cavalier Breeders as there was 20 years ago about the MVD Trouble.

Finally if I could mention I have been a Genuine Cavalier Pet Owner for over 30 years,never have concerned my-self about the Standard or Conformation of Cavaliers, only what I am sure other Cavalier Pet Owners have wished for, that our Cherished Cavaliers could have the chance of Healthier ,Longer Lives,which has been sadly lacking for many years for a good number of Cavaliers.

Bet(Hargreaves)

I would definitely say to anyone on here who hasn't looked at the Cavalier Chat forum to have a look at it.

I have only looked at it over the past couple of days as there seemed to be differences of opinion and I think it is a very good forum - with some very caring people on it who stick up for our breed and do test their dogs, and don't ridicule pet people!! There is a thread at the moment where posters are saying we all should be working together not falling out!!!!!!!

And I agree - How can things change if everyone take pot shots at each other and trys to score points?

I would definitely say to anyone on here who hasn't looked at the Cavalier Chat forum to have a look at it.

I would have to agree, I joined the CC forum back in January and I have to say there are some really nice people on there. I just post about general things and reply to posts of the same nature. I do not get involved in any of the heated debates. I think on a forum it is too easy to offend as you cannot see who you are relpying to and they cannot see you, so there is no tone of voice or facial expressions to go by and things can be taken the wrong way.

A lot gets said on both forums about the 'other' but I tend to make up my own mind about things and based on what I see, I like both forums and get pleasure reading posts and interacting with people on both of them.

Just my opinion of course,but to anyone who hasn't visited try it and then make up your own mind and to anyone who has visited and didn't like it,that's fine too ,but, maybe let other people decide for themselves.

It would be a very boring world if we all followed each other like sheep and didn't try something new because someone advised us not too or gave us their opinion on something and we took it as read and never tried it out.

There are of course some things I don't agree with that is said over on CC but the same can be said for this or any other forum, but if I don't agree with what I read I either reply when I have had time to think about what I will say or I just choose not to read that thread. I do not come on either of the forums to say what has been said on the other as that just causes bad feeling between people on the forums.

I do hope all this Tit for Tat between the two forums can be sorted and people can visit both of them without feeling like a traitor after all they are both places where people can share and get advice etc and it is not a competition to see which forum is better.

I want to take this opportunity to thank people on both forums for any advice given to me and for letting me share stories of my three dogs:)

I intend posting this reply over on CC also.

Linda Flynn - CC - a person who can be trusted.....

I emailed the co owner of the site as above and aired a couple of issues, one being that I had been removed wthout notice, warning or good reason.

She has now got back to me and placed the ball in my court, with the option of rejoining.

I have accepted the offer.

Shall of course stay with CT as I feel at home here, being a PET person with only a little SHOW blood in my DNA.

Regards,

Mark.

I certainly agree that CC is a forum worth checking out. Like I have written before, there are some very wonderful breeders who post to that site. However, I am not a member of that forum but have been flamed there for something that I wrote in this thread. We all know that emails, written correspondence, letters, etc. are different that actually speaking to someone face to face. Honestly, if I had inadvertently upset someone and became aware of it, I would try to understand where that person was coming from rather than to continue to ridicule them. Hey, but that's me. So, like anything else, I will read the posts from the breeders that I admire and ignore the others. I will probably register sometime (but not under the name Jay as I am sure that the admin would ban me immediately using that name) because I would like to see the photos that are posted. I don't think I would ever post anything there however.

J.

I read both forums as well but I enjoy this one most for several reasons, mainly because it's the most active and there are *always* new posts to read! There are some very caring breeders on CC and it has been very enlightening to learn their perspectives. I've found that some of my preconceived notions of "them" were slightly askew. I do find, however, that there are a few people on CC that are downright insulting. I don't think anyone here calls them names or makes up offensive nicknames for specific members, and I think it's rude that the few there do! ;)

I emailed the co owner of the site as above and aired a couple of issues, one being that I had been removed wthout notice, warning or good reason.

She has now got back to me and placed the ball in my court, with the option of rejoining.

I have accepted the offer.

Shall of course stay with CT as I feel at home here, being a PET person with only a little SHOW blood in my DNA.

Regards,

Mark.

Hello Mark,

Does that make you a crossbreed?

I'm pleased for you, you had done nothing to deserve being removed so unceremoniously.

I'm still wondering what I did.
I suspect that one of the moderators got out of bed on the wrong side that day?

I think we're all still wondering what EITHER of you allegedly did :(.
I thought the forum thrived on robust debate. Hopefully you will be reinstated without further delay.Surely everyone can finally try to find common ground.
Sins

Sins

Does that mean I am forever left to wander alone on this planet ,cast off not wanted "persona non grata":cry*ing:,hopefully at least that doesn't apply on CT.:)

:hug:Awww, not at all Brian, we want to keep you all to ourselves here.Some things are just too good to share, we insist on total exclusivity where you're concerned;)
Sins

Is There Something Wrong with Cavalier Chat Forum?

Maybe this is not the right Thread to be asking this question, but why are we folk who who are trying to help the Cavaliers live Healthier, Longer Lives , get accused by some of being Animal Rights Activists.

Where is the connection?

Bet (Hargreaves)

I think we're all still wondering what EITHER of you allegedly did :(.
I thought the forum thrived on robust debate. Hopefully you will be reinstated without further delay.Surely everyone can finally try to find common ground.
Sins

I think it will be hard to find common ground with some of the members of cavalierchat because of the events of last year.

I do realise there are many people here who do not know the background to my involvement in the film Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

The documentary was shown August last year, and the dog showing and breeding world received a wake up call that it is still reeling from.

It is a long story, I am tempted to start a new thread called 'SM, PDE, SGM, CC and MC' and gradually explain the events, and what led up to them.
(Don't worry, I will supply a glossary to explain the initials)

Anybody interested?

Back